Probiotics and dht??

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Probiotics and dht??

Post by Jacob » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:41 pm

Sam..and others- thoughts?

"For example, most cases of acne are now believed to arise not only out of the presence of an androgen hormone called DHT within the sebaceous glands, but of an individual's particular sensitivity to that hormone. According to Garcia, hormone activity is profoundly affected by the balance of bacteria in our guts, because the liver's ability to successfully metabolize hormones, is greatly influenced by our probiotic health."

http://informedbeauty.com/gut.shtml

I'd like to look into this more. I've been taking probiotics for 4+ years now.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:12 am

Jacob,

I have always been intrigued by the concept of probiotics and although I have absolutely NO science to back this up whatsoever, I think that some link between bacterial activity in the body and hormones does exist. In the case of acne, it's as if the DHT almost causes the skin to be more "susceptible" to infection.

Also, since I started losing my hair about 12 years ago now, there has always been an associated oiliness and some acne in the areas where the hair loss was happening (mainly in the crown and along the hair line)... It's as if these areas that were hit by MPB were more prone to infection.

Anyway, again this is total conjecture and speculation on my part, but I think there may be a correlation there.

As for probiotics. You are away that yogort (at least the kind with active culture in it) is a great source right? What are you using if you don't mind my asking? I think probiotics can be very beneficial and I also think that while anti-biotics are sometimes a necessary evil to get rid of infections and should be used when it is prudent to do so, I also think that at least after the anti-biotics are done, probiotics are probably a good idea. Again, yogurt is a great source if you ask me.

Regards,
Sam

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: Probiotics and dht??

Post by Jacob » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:35 pm

Just another gut connection..

New study shows chronic fatigue syndrome may have to do with gut microbes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... -your-gut/

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:22 pm

Everything seems to have a connection to the gut. I was going to post some more links but I didn't know where to begin. A lot of good ones just on the first page of this Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=probiot ... sQvwUIGygA

As you can see from those links..it's not something new that was just discovered. They just keep learning more. I've posted in the past about the gut-brain connection: https://www.google.com/search?q=brain+g ... 8&oe=utf-8

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:04 am

try lecithin instead

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm with Pete on the possibility that biotics and hormones do have some kind of an interaction in the body. A few years back I read a book by Carolee Bateson Koch called "Allergies: Disease in Disguise". It was ahead of its time on all sorts of things, but it also made a connection.

I think the body is extremely complex, and its like you have this kind of health reserve. The healthier your lifestyle the better the chances that you can fight and control your hair loss. That is my opinion really, but I first started losing my hair now 24 years ago, and while I have lost a lot, I still also have maintained a lot. What I have found though is that whenever I am not looking after myself, my hair loss tends to pick up. When I am actively looking after my health, it slows down, regardless of if I am using any kinds of products or treatments. So for me, there is a correlation.