Another example of why liposomes rule

Read about and discuss general hair loss topics.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Another example of why liposomes rule

Post by Jacob » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:52 pm

Liposomal Encapsulation of
Dermatological Active Substances

Encapsulation of dermatological active substances in liposomes was the subject of a lecture by professor Dr. Alfred Fahr from the Institut fr Pharmazeutische Technologie (Institute for Pharmazeutical Technology) of Jena University. The crucial factor for the infiltration of the liposomes in deeper skin layers is their formability. An additional driving force is obviously the moisture gradient between skin and ambiance. Liposomal dermatic preparations should therefore not be applied under occlusive conditions.

Surprisingly, Fahr determined in his tests at model systems with excised human skin from plastic surgery that by encapsulation in fluid liposomes not only the penetration of hydrophilic but also the penetration of in particular lipophilic pharmaceuticals can be enhanced. With the example of the hardly water-soluble immuno suppressant Ciclosporin A this has also been shown in an animal model for Alopecia areata: hairless rats which had been topically treated with liposomally encapsulated Ciclosporin A regained a normal fur growth within only a few weeks. Other preparations in which Cyclosporin A had been applied in presence of classical penetration agents as alcohol did however not show any effect at the same test conditions.

http://www.dermotopics.de/english/issue ... 2003_e.htm

Notice the last two sentences.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

another example

Post by Jacob » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:16 pm

Less minox in a liposomal type vehicle worked as well as more minox in a "standard" vehicle. Keep in mind no or at least less alcohol would be needed in a liposomal type vehicle..as well as PG.

BLOCK-COPOLYMER NANOPARTICLE FOR FOLLICULAR DELIVERY OF HAIRDRUGS

Won-seok Park, Jong-won Shim, Dae-seok Sung, Dae-kwon Kim, Chang-hoon Lee, Yong-chul Shim

AmorePacific R&D Center, Yongin-si, Korea

The hair follicle is acknowledged to be a complex, dynamic structure which may contribute significantly to passive transport of compounds into the scalp. To elucidate the improved delivery of hair drugs such as minoxidil and cyclosporin A(CsA) with the use of nanoparticles, we developed a follicular delivery system based on the self-assembled block-copolymer(PCG-101) nanoparticle.

Self-assembled nanoparticles and phosphatidylcholine liposomes (330 nm) containing minoxidil & CsA were prepared. The distribution pattern of fluorescence dye (rubrene), entrapped in block-copolymer and liposome, was observed in dorsal guinea pig skin and hamster ear using confocal microscopy. The two penetrated drugs were measured using the Franz diffusion cell with rodent skins. Also, the anagen induction & elongation activities of the two drugs, entrapped in nano-particles, were observed using female C57bl/6 mice in the telogen phase.

We observed that insoluble rubrene fluorescence dye, entrapped in nanoparticles, penetrated via the pilosebaceous pathway in guinea pig skin and hamster ear region. In the Franz cell experiment, minoxidil, which was entrapped in nanoparticles of the 40 nm size, diffused significantly more in hairy guinea pig skin +/- by 1.8~2.4 fold +/- compared to those in liposome and ethanol solution. There was no significant difference in the activity of anagen induction of C57BL/6 mouse between 3 % minoxidil solution (propylene glycol and ethanol) and 0.5 % minoxidil nanoparticle solution. Also, the same dose (0.2%) of CsA, entrapped in nanoparticles, showed higher activities of anagen elongation compared to CsA dissolved in ethanol & polyol solution.

On the basis of in vitro and in vivo experimental models, block-copolymer nanoparticles can be effectively used as a permeation shunt system via pilosebaceous units in substitution for liposomes.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

A good read (imo)

Post by Jacob » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:18 pm

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:11 pm

So do you think Lipoxidil is worth using over regular minox, since it's supposedly based in liposomes?

Regards,
Sam

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:52 pm

Well if you remember me very well you know I wouldn't use minoxidil...BUT, if I were to use it I'd most likely use a liposomal one. There is another company that makes it too btw- also from Germany.

I do use lipoxidil's Genistil-R and then the Equisomin from Elsom Research is also liposomal/nanosomal. Actually it's a combo of delivery systems, one being nanosomes.

I'd be willing to bet most if not all guys would use a liposomal version if the price was better. Of course some think that Lipoxidil's can't be "real" because it'd cost more if it were. So maybe I wouldn't bet on it :wink:

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:57 pm

I know you don't use minox... so I guess in retrospect the question should have been phrased differently. Anyway, my concern with liposomal treatments is exactly what you expressed. We don't really know how the liposomes and minox (or other active ingredients) are being combined and whether this effects the absorption rate of the active ingredients.... I will have to read into it more.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Sam

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:10 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. The ingredients are(or at least should be.....or maybe it's- for the most part) kept separate from one another by being in the liposomes, nanosomes etc. I'm sure they're "tested" to see if there are any weird reactions when they're combined w/out liposomes first. Just like Dr Lee's or Dr Proctors stuff- which are non-liposomal.

If you mean we don't know how they're being combined- the active ingreds in the liposomes...and how they're being absorbed...I think we do pretty much know the answer to that. It takes special equipment to make these products....and we do know that less of the active ingreds are needed compared to regular vehicles(and not just with minox btw..other drugs also prove this) and they do absorb better(unless you're using dmso or something) and do allow for some things to absorb where w/out them they wouldn't absorb at all(size- too big or as in the first example in this thread- I really don't know why the non-liposomal did nothing) ....they get absorbed at a slower rate- it's time released.....and we also know that some of it may get absorbed systemically.

Dr Lee also made a comment in the past about making his products liposomal but that it'd cost too much. Here is a post about it from alt.baldspot:
Here is the responce i got from Dr. Lee when i asked him if you would be
expermenting or looking into liposome delivery of Minoxidil and/or Retin a
Combo and he plans on adding it into his treatments in the furture:

Thanks for your interest and trust. In fact, for the past few years I have
been working with a PhD pharmacologist in the Bay Area, looking into liposomal
delivery of topical minoxidil. As expected, the progress is painstakingly
slow. In order to design and test various liposomes that will deliver the
minoxidil to the hair follicles, it requires scalp biopsies (and you don't get
a lot a volunteers for that). In any case, liposomal delivery of minoxidil is
possible. But it would be much too expensive to be applicable in practice.
About three years ago, Robert M. Hoffman from AntiCancer, Inc., San Diego, CA
presented a paper at the 2nd Intercontinental Hair Research Society Meeting in
Washinton, D.C. in which his group accomplished liposomal delivery of melanin
to hair follicles. But the technology is so expensive that re-coloring gray
hair via liposomal delivery of melanin just isn't practical.

So, it's unlikely that a liposomal delivery for minoxidil will ever be
practical because of the exorbitant costs.

I'm aware of a product called Lipoxidil, but I very much doubt that it uses a
liposomal delivery system.

Richard Lee, M.D.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:15 pm

And btw....to respond to his last statement there. Others have brought this up- they were going to "out" lipoxidil by having the stuff tested and looked at by experts to see if they really were liposomal. Every time that is brought up we never hear back from them. I would think if they found out they weren't liposomal we'd be hearing about it...??

I think since Dr Lee made those comments the technology has improved and the prices have probably improved as well. I've seen some companies brag that they've got a patented form that's cheaper etc etc etc.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:33 pm

Just another example. In this case they're talking about hair- % of actives that remain in hair after washing..liposomal vs other:

http://www.bbriefings.com/pdf/846/Lipotec_tech.pdf

Jacob
Prolific Poster

the latest

Post by Jacob » Mon May 01, 2006 7:14 pm

http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/vaop/ ... 0323a.html
Liposomes had been widely used for drug delivery in the past. In this study, five different liposomes were used as a follicular delivery system in pig ear skin. The liposomes mainly differed in their sphere diameter, lipid composition, and surface charge. A novel class of liposomes being amphoteric in their charge behavior are compared to established anionic and cationic liposomes. Two different fluorescent dyes, hydrophilic carboxyfluoresceine or lipophilic curcumin, were enclosed in the liposomes and used as model drugs. The fluorescent dyes were also applied in a standard formulation for reference. The penetration depth of the dyes was measured by laser scanning microscopy in histological sections. One hour, 3, 5, and 7 days after application, biopsies were taken and the penetration depth into the hair follicle was measured in longitudinal sections. The liposomes showed a higher penetration depth compared to the standard formulation. The relative penetration depth of the dyes, applied in the standard formulation, averaged 30% of the full follicle length during the whole observation period, whereas the liposomal formulations penetrated considerably deeper into the hair follicles. Amphoteric and cationic liposomes reached an average relative penetration depth of approximately 70% of the full hair follicle length.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon May 01, 2006 8:15 pm

This demonstrates that they have excellent absorption, but it doesn't necessarily mean any liposome can carry any active ingredient to it's destination.

Having said that, I'm all for liposomal/nanosomal products. And I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in most cases.

I personally think the nanosal minox (and the shampoo) are welcome additions to the list of product options out there for people with hair loss. If I was going to use a minox product again I would certainly have these in my regimen.

I'm even thinking about getting Dr. Yechiel to create a custom topical for me... I'm just thinking about which ingreds I want in it.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue May 02, 2006 1:52 pm

That's why they don't just use *any* "liposome" :!: And yes, I'm referring to what Elsom and Lipoxidil make/use/purchase.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu May 04, 2006 2:10 pm

Here's Santano's post/take on it in another forum:
http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/vaop/ ... 0323a.html

Interesting also the supplemental information here :
http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/vaop/ ... 323s1.html

not the size of liposomes is important but the charge and type.
so all the hype about 10, 20 or 30 % minoxidil is totally unnecessary.minoxidil is a poor penetrator.96-97 % of applied material is lost.liposomes penetrate ~ 120 % better than a standard vehicle.so a 5 % liposomal minoxidil probably penetrates still better than a 12 % standard.
Important is what relative amount finally reaches the area around the follicle.

chart 1 of the study shows that liposomes reach their peak penetration after 5 days !!! and even after 7 days they still have a high penetration level. a conventional vehicle on the other side has no time delayed effect at all.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Enhancement of follicular delivery of finasteride by liposom

Post by Jacob » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:06 pm

This was at Lipoxidil.com
Finasteride is indicated orally in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia and some other pilosebaceous unit (PSU) disorders. We wished to investigate whether topical application of finasteride-containing vesicles (liposomes and niosomes) could enhance drug concentration at the PSU, as compared to finasteride hydroalcoholic solution (HA). Liposomes consisted of phospholipid (dimyristoyl phosphatidylcholine (DMPC) or egg lecithin):cholesterol:dicetylphosphate (8:2:1, mole ratio). Niosomes were comprising non-ionic surfactant (polyoxyethylene alkyl ethers (Brij series) or sorbitan monopalmitate):cholesterol:dicetylphosphate (7:3:1, mole ratio). Vesicles were prepared by the film hydration technique and characterized with regard to the size, drug entrapment efficiency and gel-liquid transition temperature (T(c)). In vitro permeation of (3)H-finasteride through hamster flank skin was faster from hydroalcoholic solution (0.13 microg/cm(2)h) compared to vesicles (0.025-0.058 microg/cm(2)h). In vivo deposition of (3)H-finasteride vesicles in hamster ear showed that liquid-state vesicle, i.e. those made of DMPC or Brij97:Brij76 (1:1), were able to deposit 2.1 or 2.3% of the applied dose to the PSU, respectively. This was significantly higher than drug deposition by gel-state vesicles (0.35-0.51%) or HA (0.76%). Both in vitro permeation and in vivo deposition studies, demonstrated the potentials of liquid-state liposomes and niosomes for successful delivery of finasteride to the PSU.

PMID: 16837150 [PubMed - in process]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_DocSum

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: Another example of why liposomes rule

Post by Jacob » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

J Liposome Res. 2010 Jun;20(2):105-14.
Development and characterization of minoxidil-loaded liposomal system for delivery to pilosebaceous units.
Jain B, Singh B, Katare OP, Vyas SP.
Source

University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences-UGC Center of Advanced Studies, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India.
Abstract

The current study aimed to deliver minoxidil (2,4-diamino-6-piperidinopyrimidine 3-oxide; MXD), a potent hypertrichotic agent, into the pilosebaceous units, exploring the potential of the liposomal system. MXD-loaded liposomes of different compositions were prepared by a thin-film hydration technique and subsequently characterized for various vesicle-specific attributes (i.e., size, shape, lamellarity, and entrapment efficiency). Comparative analysis among these compositions was conducted with reference to their vesicle-specific parameters, drug deposition, and drug-delivery mechanism toward pilosebaceous units. The latter may bring about a distinct change in MXD therapy for various ailments related to pilosebaceous units, such as alopecia. The in vitro drug release, ex vivo skin permeation, and drug-retention behavior of the prepared formulation were evaluated by employing rat skin (normal as well as pilosebaceous free) and semipermeable membrane. The results revealed that the neutral liposomes (mean vesicle size, 3.83 +/- 0.18 microm) showed maximum drug deposition in the pilosebaceous units among all the other tested formulations. A quantitative estimation of pilosebaceous delivery revealed that the concentration of MXD in each pilosebaceous unit decreased in the following order: neutral liposomal formulation (5.8 x 10(3) to 7.25 x 10(3) microg) > positively charged liposomal formulation (4.7 x 10(3) to 5.87 x 10(3) microg) > negatively charged liposomal formulation (4.2 x 10(3) to 5.25 x 10(3) microg) > nonliposomal formulation (1.6 x 10(3) to 2.0 x 10(3) microg). Stability studies construed the need to store the liposomal formulation at lower temperatures. The results of the current work indicate that the neutral liposomes can deliver the drug molecules into pilosebaceous units more effectively than the other studied formulations.

PMID:
[PubMed - in process]

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Just randomly came across this: http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... id_therapy
Two oil-in-water formulations, containing equal amounts of apigenin-enriched chamomile flower extracts, for potential use as topical antiinflammatory agents, were prepared and their physicochemical properties evaluated. A pilot clinical study was then carried out to assess patient acceptability and efficacy. The creams were either non-liposomal or liposomal. The liposomal formulations were more viscous, thus producing superior release characteristics in vitro. The clinical study also showed that the liposomal creams were, as antiinflammatory agents, slightly more effective in vivo than the non-liposomal formulations. These results suggest that there is scope for the further development of even more effective and safer alternatives to corticosteroids.

israelite
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood I

Post by israelite » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

jacob did u ever get a hold off Dr. Yechiel ?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:05 pm

No..but didn't you say he was in Israel at the moment?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 am

Ok..got a response from him. Try sending him another email if you haven't heard back yet..

israelite
Prolific Poster

Post by israelite » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Jacob wrote:Ok..got a response from him. Try sending him another email if you haven't heard back yet..
ok i will! i want him to make the best topical! apply poly! jacob please list what else! he is going to make for least myself and jonson!

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:36 am

PQQ..coq10...that pollen extract...etc..

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 am

http://www.jrxbiotech.com/dermx.html
Delivering small and large molecules ("macro-molecules") up to 460,000 Daltons in size
Large Molecules: Traditional delivery system technologies can deliver only small molecules to the skin, thus severely limiting their efficacy and dosage range and flexibility. The DermXTM MegasphereTM System, however, can deliver both small molecules (like extracts) and large molecules (like proteins). DermXTM MegasphereTM's unique value is its ability to deliver compounds that are potentially 10,000 times larger than those found in other non-invasive, passive systems.
http://www.transdermalcorp.com/technology

http://www.transdermalcorp.com/clinical-studies
The novel delivery system is capable of delivering proteins, peptides, hormones, vaccines or small molecule drugs. The molecular weight of the macromolecular pharmaceutical agent can range between about 1,000 and 2,000,000 daltons.

The thearpeutic agent is presented in a mixed micellar form, with a micelle size of approximately one to 10 nanometers (nm) or higher. Nano particles are made from combinations of micelles (surfactants and protein solubilizers), coated with lipid molecules
Nano paticles size; less than 1-10 nano meters smaller than the skin pores
Nano Particles Physically entraps active without any changes in the chemical composition
Stabilizes the actives: shelf stable at room temperature for extended period of time without refrigeration)

http://www.convoytx.com/page/platform-technology
has demonstrated delivery of small molecules and large molecules up to 1,000,000 daltons

israelite
Prolific Poster

Post by israelite » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:08 am

my goal is to use every topical in a lipsome vehicle

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 pm

I would like to even see some hair conditioning/gel type product using some encapsulating tech. With some real goodies of course..

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu May 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Targeted skin delivery of topically applied drugs by optimised formulation design

https://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/U ... is_pdf.pdf

Comparison of the efficacy of niosomal minoxidil with conventional minoxidil in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: A randomized, controlled, double-blind clinical trial

https://www.aad.org/eposters/Submission ... 5&type=sub
Title:
Comparison of the efficacy of niosomal minoxidil with conventional minoxidil in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: A randomized, controlled, double-blind clinical trial

Author (s):
Simin Shamsi Meymandi, Rezvan Amiri *, Maryam Aflatunian, Abas Pardakhti

Paper language: Persian

Abstract:
Background and Aim: Androgenetic alopecia (AGA) is the most common type of alopecia in men. Currently, minoxidil is the only topical drug which has been approved by FDA for the treatment of AGA. However, its efficacy is restricted because of its low skin penetration. Since vesicular systems such as liposomes and niosomes have higher efficacy and lower adverse effects, this study was conducted to compare the efficacy of topical niosomal minoxidil with conventional minoxidil in the treatment of AGA.

Methods: This study was a randomized, controlled double-blind clinical trial. Ninety male patients with AGA according to Hamilton criteria were enrolled into this trial. The participants applied the interversion to which they were allocated twice a day, and were evaluated monthly for 6 months by a physician and patients self-assessments.

Results: Eighty-eight patients completed the trial. Mean increased hair count in niosomal minoxidil group and conventional minoxidil group in the last visit were 28.18 ± 11.00 and 14.22 ± 5.23, respectively (P <0.001). Moreover, evaluation of treatment response according to the patients self-assessments were 8.72 ± 5.03 and 3.33 ± 2.67 in niosomal and conventional minoxidil, respectively, which revealed more satisfaction in niosomal group (P = 0.001). With the exception of two cases in niosomal minoxidil group whom were withdraw due to scalp itching and erthema no other adverse effect was observed in either group.

Conclusion: In the present study, application of topical niosomal minoxidil revealed an increase in the hair count in comparison with conventional minoxidil solution.
Application of this new formulation for the treatment of AGA may be recommended.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:37 am

That is a significant result. Hopefully these types of studies result in more liposomal minox (and other!) products.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm

Enhancement oF Follicular delivery oF Finasteride in niosomal and Proniosomal gel Form For treating androgenetic alopecia

Finasteride has not been explored extensively for the treatment of androgenic alopecia. The present work was aimed to enhance the follicular delivery of finasteride topically by niosomal and proniosomal carrier systems for treating androgenetic alopecia. Finasteride niosomes were prepared by thin film hydration method and proniosomes were prepared by coacervation phase separation method. The niosomes prepared with cholesterol-Span 20 (1:1) and proniosmes prepared with cholesterol-Span 20 (1:1) showed better mean vesicle size, drug content, in vitro release profile and skin permeability. The effect of charge inducer, dicetyl phosphate (DCP) on skin permeability of niosomes and proniosomes was studied and it was found to be less in this study. Stability studies were preformed and the formulation was found to be stable for 60 days. Clinical trials by phototrichogram method was performed for proniosomal formulation with cholesterol-Span 20 (1:1) and DCP on twenty healthy male volunteers and it was found to increase the anagen hair count of test group by 42.85 % when compared with the control group (6.6%), indicating the proniosomal gel formulation achieved the objective of enhancing the drug concentration in androgenic receptors of hair shaft and thus it can be used safely for treating androgenic alopecia.
Scroll down for the full text https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... c_aloPecia

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:07 pm

I don't know how easy it is to obtain this...but if you're able to and want to cook up your own lipo-minox: http://www.guinama.com/minoxomas-liposo ... l-1-l.html

The PDF under "information" explains how to do it.