Laser Max Review

Discuss the use of laser therapy for fighting hair loss. If you're using a purchased device, or a laserbrush or helmet that you've made yourself, discuss it here.

Moderator: moderators

maranello
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Laser Max Review

Post by maranello » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:06 am

Hello everybody,

This is my first post; I have been a casual forum visitor for about a year. I have read a few posts of people asking for reviews of the Laser Max before they purchase one, so I thought I would use my experience (I have been fighting hair loss for about three years, which has included 2 visits to laser clinics which grew back my hair but I lost it again soon after) with LLLT and the product so people can make a decision.

I have used the product for 6 months. The first 4 months my hair quality did improve and my hair loss slowed considerably. However, the last 2 months my hair loss has increased. I am a believer of LLLT as I grew my hair back at clinics but lost it again once I continued using the products without the LLLT, which prompted me to buy my own laser device. That being said, for what it is and the price, the lasermax is a pretty good product. Without it, I believe my hair would be in a lot worse condition at this point in time. However, the results were not noticeably dramatic- I know people have reported it can take up to a year for a noticeable result; however, I gained results from LLLT after three months at the clinics, although I was also on minoxidil at the time. However, I see a few flaws compared to the clinical devices.

1. The lasers are in a flat configuration, which means the lasers are not an even distance from your head.
2. There is too much space between the lasers so your scalp is not always fully covered.

This leads to a catch 22 that if you move your head away from the device so it can cover a larger surface area of your scalp, you lose power. I have come to a simple conclusion that what is needed is a device with a lot of lasers so every part of your scalp is covered during the entire session, as was the case when I was at the clinic. So, I recently ordered the Laser Messiah II with 300 diodes off OMG which should be fun to put together + I will go back on minoxidil because just gracefully losing my hair is not enough for me at this stage in my life.

Overall, for those who are looking for a dramatic turnaround in their hair, I don't believe the Laser Max on its own can deliver. However, I do not regret the purchase and believe it is adequate for those who are looking for a relatively inexpensive way to maintain what they have.

Have a great new year!

rawhair
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: Helmet 200 diodes 10 min everyotherday

Re: Laser Max Review

Post by rawhair » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:35 am

Hey Maranello,

What clinic did you visit?Do you know what kind of device are using there?Can you explain us better what was your schedule treatment?

Thank you

maranello

Post by maranello » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi Rawhair,

I can certainly give you details, keep in mind in live in Australia so these clinics might not be available where you live.

In July 2006 I went to Advanced Hair Studio. I received 20 minutes of laser treatment twice a week for a month, then 20 minutes a week for about 4 months after then 1 20 minute treatment a month for a further 3-4 months. During the period I was on their minoxidil, as well as serenoa tablets (their finasteride equivalent) as well as serenoa shampoo and hair serum. The results were nothing short of astonishing.... I had the best quality hair of my life. However, their 'maintenance' program after the treatment consisted of the serenoa tablets, serum and shampoo and I was on these products when I went to live overseas for a while, and they did nothing, I lost all my gains in the same time it took to build them.

In July 2008 I went to another clinic, (I think they are called Hair Science now), I told them I didn't want to be on minoxidil etc. because every clinic offered the same thing and I wanted to see a point of differentiation so they put me on some other formula (I am very sorry I can't remember the name) and laser treatment either 20 or 40 minutes a week as well as a formulated shampoo. No DHT blockers nor any serum. After a month they switched me to a minoxidil based formula as the other one had been 'discontinued'. I got into an argument as I didn't sign up just to use minoxidil as I can buy it from a chemist myself, but eventually I let it go. I had good results after 6 months, not nearly as good as the first time but I was reasonably satisfied. After the laser treatment I continued on the minoxidil and even started on some DHT blockers a few months before my treatment finished to get a start on the maintenence program, but a funny thing happened..... I started losing my hair again, which prompted me to buy the Laser Max in May-June this year which has slowed the losses.

I apologise I do not know the name of the laser devices they used at both clinics, but from observation they had at least 100-150 diodes each. The only advice I can give you when choosing a clinic is ask questions regarding the maintenance program after the initial treatments. If they turn the tap off your LLLT completely or the products and volumes used are very different from what is supposed to grow you hair back in the first place I would look at it with a degree of scepticism. Personally, I am done with clinics.... they work but I want a treatment that is cost effective in the long term and the program that grows your hair back is what is used to maintain the hair afterwards. The first clinic even said, in 5 years time, you can come back and get more laser if it starts getting thin..... I was younger then and perhaps a bit naive but I was so desperate to grow my hair back I didn't really care that much if I was getting screwed or not. This is why I've now ordered the Laser Messiah, for me a clinic is effectively just a place you rent a laser device so I might as well own my own.

I hope my experiences are of assistance.

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:42 pm

a clinic is effectively just a place you rent a laser device so I might as well own my own

exactly, and clinics had their place early in the nineties when these devices werent available, and the laser comb seemed like such a amazing thing 'WOW i can have lasers in my own house?) lol

but now, thanx to DIY u can make a better one urself, get the minox, finasteride or serenoa urself, supplements, shampoos, for a fraction of the price of a clinic, where in most cases they r just salesmen in labcoats.

rawhair
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: Helmet 200 diodes 10 min everyotherday

Post by rawhair » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi maranello,

Thank you for your extended and detailed response.I have looked at Advanced Hair Studio site and it´s seems that they use Ravage 670 or Lase Luce 100.
http://www.apirascience.com/protocol.htm
http://www.turbo.fr/video-du-web/laser- ... fM_0D.html

Have you recognized any of these two devices?Thanks

Anxious1
Prolific Poster

Post by Anxious1 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:35 pm

from revage website:
The FDA has certified the Revage 670 as a class 3 A cosmetic device.
this is classic, its a sad excuse to make it out to be fda approved, not that that means anything anyway.
all laser pointers, cd/dvd player lasers are certified 3a, it just means its low level. lol

pretty sure the only one fda approved is still the hairmax lasercomb, and i think its been adjusted to a cosmetic device, because the claims were too unbelievable.

conversly omgs helmet will never get fda approval unless he spends a billion dollars on a trial that only drug companies can afford, yet its probably the best on the market, and cheapest.

fda approval means nothing. its only desireable if u want to sell a drug.

the system is flawed, and like everything its all about the money.

on one hand sure we should be using things with evidence, but wat if we find drugs unsatisfactory, and choose to go natural, no ones doing the studies cos theres no money in it ( there is actually, but they cant see this) so we get scammed over and over by one of the biggest markets in the world, the billion dollar hairloss market.

maranello

Post by maranello » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi Rawhair,

Out of the two devices you showed me, the revage 670 looks like the one they used.

eva92watson
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Other
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by eva92watson » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:45 am

That's a really helpful information. Thank you so much. Looking forward at visiting Laser Max.

future is with LLLT
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood VII
Treatment Regimen: 5% minoxidil 2 times daily plus 20 minutes LLLT full head device with 378 made by myself as I am an electronic engineer.

Post by future is with LLLT » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:55 pm

This is also my first post - but I've been reading in the past...
There are some simple misconceptions about LLLT.
I don't want to repeat others but here is a summary for those interested...

LLLT provides deep tissue stimulation via red light with 650nm wave length which penetrates beneath the scalp and directly stimulates hair follicles thus increases blood supply.
With MPB the hair follicles are literally "suffocated" by DHT that restricts their nourishment.
There are 2 fronts to combat hair loss - THEY MUST BE TAKEN BOTH.
1 - follicle stimulation and
2 - DHT blocking
Minoxidil enhances the effect of LLLT and nobody really knows exactly why..

BIGGEST mistake people do is that they use weak LLLT devices such as laser combs.
2nd mistake is that they don't apply DHT blockers
Minoxidil acts a bit like DHT blocker but rather enhances the effect of LLLT

LLLT DOES NOT WORK ON ITS OWN - NOR DOES MINOXIDIL
THEY MUST BE COMBINED WITH DHT BLOCKERS!!!

LLLT stands for - Low Level Laser Therapy.
As the name itself suggest it must be with LASER diodes, NOT with LED diodes - and I am surprised why so many devices out there use LEDs...It must be some kind of a bad joke?

a bit of science, don't get bored too much...

clinical studies and trials (Google it) agree that ideal deep tissue stimulation delivered to a skin area daily should be around 4J/cm2 This equals to 1 laser diode with 5mW rating applied to 1cm2 of affected area of scalp for 20 minutes.

All laser diodes are manufactured almost equally and will cover 1cm2 of scalp from a distance of approx. 15mm.
Norwood 7 baldness area (my calcs) is approx. 28-30cm2 - this means that if you want to spend only 20 minutes with your LLLT device - it must have around 300 diodes...that's is a simple math.

How can anyone tell me that laser comb with 1 or 2 diodes used 20 minutes will do anything for my hair loss - and people still buy it today..

As for Revage 670 - they use focused diodes and the company info says "30 laser diodes rotating to cover the whole scalp"
Even if their diodes were 20mW that would only equal to 120 of 5mW diodes so they would deliver in 20 minutes only a third of required 4J/cm2 - I love Math - it never lies...

rightsmith
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood IV A
Treatment Regimen: Hair transplant in India | Punjab | Ludhiana

Post by rightsmith » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:12 am

Thanks for sharing this knowledgeable information regarding the hair problems. I should visit your laser max clinic once again.