Micellarin Green Shampoo question

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Jacob » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:56 pm

I hope some day others will jump in with questions....but I just thought of another when responding to a post.

Your Micellarin Green shampoo. As you say on your website you'll get minimal foaming with the first wash. Rinse and repeat and you get a nice lather. Why is that? There's a major difference between the two washings. I love the stuff...just wondering what's going on there.

I'd also like your opinion(s) on how much shampoo gets absorbed and how it can help scalp/hair health. Medicated shampoos must work to some degree by getting absorbed. Some of the ingredients in Micellarin Green as well as other shampoos out there may be beneficial to one's scalp, if absorbed, as well as one's hair. I'm not saying they'd be substitutes for topicals but they must help in some way...right?

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:55 pm

Hello Jacob and thank you for your continued interest.

Even if you use another shampoo for the first wash and then apply Micellarin Green for the second wash, you will get a good lather. The reason that the first wash is poorly lathering is because the hair and scalp (and your hands as well) contain oils and other deposits which may either counteract foaming or interact with the modulated detergent in the shampoo and neutralize it. When you apply for the second time, the shampoo is more effective and can free detergent or foaming molecules to create a nice lather.

The second question is difficult to answer quantitatively becouse every shampoo and every skin is different. However, the skin is an amazing barrier for both oil and water molecules and therefore, poor absorption is usually the problem to overcome rather than too much absorption. There are two types of absorption facilitators. One type changes the skin structure so that the skin becomes more permeable. Example: ultrasonic facilitation of penetration via skin. Ultrasonic vibrations change the orientation of structural molecules in the skin and materials can then permeate the skin. This is a medicinal technology and requires FDA approval just as the use of a syringe. The other type affects the formula so that it adjusts to the skin structure. The second type is what we are doing.

Detergents can be modulated. Mixed micelles are formations which can be made more stable than micelles and so the detergent molecules are better contained. I will address the issue of detergents in one of the next articles in our Journal of Topical Formulations at http://www.topical-formulations.com/. It is possible to get good penetration of actives from detergent based products and I will discuss this at length in the upcoming detergent article.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
http://www.elsomresearch.com/