Rosemary essential oil

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Rosemary essential oil

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:40 pm

So I have been investigating and exploring the use of various essential oils, and

Interesting study from pubmed:
Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized comparative trial.

Panahi Y, Taghizadeh M, Marzony ET, Sahebkar A.
Abstract

Rosmarinus officinalis L. is a medicinal plant with diverse activities including enhancement microcapillary perfusion. The present study aimed to investigate the clinical efficacy of rosemary oil in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia (AGA) and compare its effects with minoxidil 2%. Patients with AGA were randomly assigned to rosemary oil (n = 50) or minoxidil 2% (n = 50) for a period of 6 months. After a baseline visit, patients returned to the clinic for efficacy and safety evaluations every 3 months. A standardized professional microphotographic assessment of each volunteer was taken at the initial interview and after 3 and 6 months of the trial. No significant change was observed in the mean hair count at the 3-month endpoint, neither in the rosemary nor in the minoxidil group (P > .05). In contrast, both groups experienced a significant increase in hair count at the 6-month endpoint compared with the baseline and 3-month endpoint (P < .05). No significant difference was found between the study groups regarding hair count either at month 3 or month 6 (> .05). The frequencies of dry hair, greasy hair, and dandruff were not found to be significantly different from baseline at either month 3 or month 6 trial in the groups (P > .05). The frequency of scalp itching at the 3- and 6-month trial points was significantly higher compared with baseline in both groups (P < .05). Scalp itching, however, was more frequent in the minoxidil group at both assessed endpoints (P < .05). The findings of the present trial provided evidence with respect to the efficacy of rosemary oil in the treatment of AGA.
So interesting to see this study showed that the rosemary showed an increast in hair count, similar to Minoxidil 2%, at 6 months of use. And equally interestingly, the rosemary caused less scalp itching than minox.

I have actually been using topical Rosemary oil in small amounts for few days. Smells nice, if a bit strongish.

HLF

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Nanogen Scalproller
Nanogen VEGF serum
Nanogen Intervention for women
Shu Uemura Silk Bloom shampoo and conditioner
Shu Uemura Essence Absolue
Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Shampoo
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil
Funori Seaweed Hair powder
Omega 3 6 9+1 capsule of Evening primrose oil daily

Re: Rosemary essential oil

Post by Natasha26 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:32 pm

i love rosemary essential oil for scalp treatment. it is among the best.

Pete2
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Pete2 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:23 am

it helps with blood flow

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:49 pm

I think it also helps with inflammation / itching. At least when I use it I feel like my scalp skin is more ... calm? Best way to put it. Only need a tiny amount. Like 1 drop of the pure essential oil. Even less. Absorbs quickly. But easy to massage into entire scalp.

MoodyK
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by MoodyK » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks for enlightening us on some of the science behind Rosemary oil! I never knew a great deal about it, even before I used it. It was merely recommended by someone I trusted and it worked great for me so there was no reason to complain or mistrust it.

I often suggest rosemary oil to people who are suffering from hair loss and for people with dry, itchy and irritable scalps, and so far I don't think I have steered anyone wrong.