Elsom Research Q&A (Ask a question!)

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Elsom Research Q&A (Ask a question!)

Post by Jacob » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:44 pm

Post your questions and suggestions for Elsom Research here.

http://www.elsomresearch.com

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri May 20, 2005 1:12 am

Dr. Yechiel,

Why are surfactants so prevalent in shampoos, what purpose do they serve, what properties of theirs are observable when one uses a shampoo, and do you use them in your products? I am referring to Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in particular.

Regards,
Sam

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:08 pm

Hello Sam,

For a detailed review of surfactants and detergents please read the April issue of our Journal of Topical Formulations http://www.topical-formulations.com/top ... ergent.htm

Thank you for your question.

Dr. E. Yechiel

stan21
Regular Poster

Re: Elsom Research Q&A (Ask a question!)

Post by stan21 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:48 pm

Dr. Yechiel or Sam,

Are Elsom products specifically for hair loss?

stan21

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:00 am

Hi stan21,

Dr. Yechiel has a number of interesting products, but as far as I am aware, none are specifically for treating hair loss. However, he does give his customers the capability to order custom products, where you choose the ingredients.

Regards,
Sam

stan21
Regular Poster

Post by stan21 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Is Dr. Yechiel still answering questions here?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Actually..I think they all could be considered for treating hairloss, it's just that they're not allowed to say it due to the FDA. Juveline they talk about for those with receding hairlines..and I know they're not just talking about the scalp in those areas :lol: Which they are good for btw..scalp health.

Stan..I think it's been so long since he's been asked a question here that he doesn't even think to come here. Or if he gets a notice when something is posted..he may just be away at the moment.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:01 am

It seems there were login/email issues. Dr. Yechiel should be stopping by any day now. =D>

My first question..or request..is if you could please talk about any new products you may have coming out. I know the shampoo has been updated, and at least one new product was mentioned elsewhere.

p__
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by p__ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:44 am

Jacob wrote:It seems there were login/email issues. Dr. Yechiel should be stopping by any day now.
Sounds great! Looking forward to his participation!

stan21
Regular Poster

Post by stan21 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:05 am

Hello, Dr. Yechiel, great news that you're coming back here! Looking forward to your participation!

goten574
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by goten574 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Do the products on that website help with hair loss or is it just myth?

Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Dr., I'm interested in these products, how do they fight hairloss?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:24 pm

goten574 wrote:Do the products on that website help with hair loss or is it just myth?
This sounds more like a question for the rest of us...and not Dr. Y. :-s

But my answer would be- they have helped me quite a bit over the years. One of the first things I noticed when starting out with Equisomin wass better scalp health. Whatever the reason- that the product(and all of their products) doesn't contain alcohol or pg so my scalp was healing from all the alcohol/pg topicals I'd used prior to this...and/or the ingredients are beneficial for scalp health.

I've maintained quite nicely ever since. I've used nearly all of the products they've come out with(the Krillosome one and ZormaZor with nano Royal Jelly are the two I haven't tried..and ScalpXtreme which I do plan on starting one of these days)..love to rotate a # of topcials. Thickened up quite a bit in the diffused areas..even some regrowth along the receded areas. Always room for plenty of improvement though.

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:51 am

Since I am new to hair loss, am already apply topicals to my head and consider my scalp health fairly good, I don't think any of these products will be worth trying, although I will have a good read of their website later.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 am

Let's try to keep this thread for Q&A's to Elsom/Dr. Y. I'm either going to delete the other posts or maybe Sam could move them to a newly started thread.

OldTimer
Treatment Regimen: Aculas 850 laser
Aloe Vera 99% Organic Jelly, daily
Folligen (Use to work great, not so much anymore)
Crinagen (I like the all-natural ingredients, but it also does not work as well as it use to)
Use to use Minoxidil 5% w/Retin-A - good results for about 8 years (No more)
Currently looking for a potent anti-inflammatory/DHT inhibitor (Yet to find a good one)
Shampoo w/ Avalon Organic Scalp Treatment (LOVE IT!!!)

Post by OldTimer » Mon May 04, 2009 11:29 pm

To Elsom/Dr.Y, or anyone else who's used Elsom products.

I have tried Equisomin, EquiClear, Juveline and ScalpExtreme products. (I liked EquiClear the best but it seems to have lost its effectiveness over the last year for me)
My main problem is SCALP-INFLAMMATION (especially at the hairline - Some days are worse than others.)

My question is, what product(s) produced by Elsom are BEST for countering/alleviating inflammation? (Besides those I mentioned?)

Thanks

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Thu May 07, 2009 6:01 pm

Jacob wrote:It seems there were login/email issues. Dr. Yechiel should be stopping by any day now. =D>

My first question..or request..is if you could please talk about any new products you may have coming out. I know the shampoo has been updated, and at least one new product was mentioned elsewhere.
Hello Jacob,

I believe that the login issues are solved now and I will be able to answer questions on this thread and on the expert panel Q&A.

We have several ongoing projects now. Skincare-of–the-Month is a project where we are committed to developing a new product each month which will be shipped free of charge to qualified customers. Every product that is introduced as Skincare-of–the-Month then becomes a retail item which can be purchased from our retail skincare/cosmeceuticals catalog. Some, but not all, of our Skincare-of-the-Month formulations are relevant to scalpcare; you can see the list at www.skincareofthemonth.com.

The newest additions to our catalog, whether or not we featured them as Skincare-of-the-Month, are always listed in the “Recent Additions” box at the bottom of our main shopping page at www.new-equilibrium-skincare.com/cosmeceuticals/. Of the formulations listed there now, QuantumLipo™ serum with Krillosomes™ (Nanosomes™ manufactured from phosphatidylcholine extracted from krill –soybean and egg are the more conventional sources– ) should be of particular interest to readers of this forum.

As for scalp-related products that have not yet been released: we are now in the final stage of development of a shampoo for graying hair, which we expect to release by the end of this month, and in an advanced development stage of a new product for scalp which will be compatible with under-performing scalps with multiple issues for men and women. When we are ready to announce details of either of these products, we will do so in our blog at www.nanosomin.com/news/; this is normally our first step in announcing any new product or project.

Thank you.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
email: innovation@elsomresearch.com
voice: 210.493.5225
paper mail: 4510 Black Hickory Woods, San Antonio, TX, USA, 78249
online:
http://www.elsomresearch.com/ --- to learn about nanotechnologies in skincare
http://www.new-equilibrium-skincare.com/cosmeceuticals/ --- to order retail products
http://www.the-formulator.com/ --- to order personalized products
http://www.topical-formulations.com/ --- to read the Journal

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Thu May 07, 2009 6:07 pm

p__ wrote:
Jacob wrote:It seems there were login/email issues. Dr. Yechiel should be stopping by any day now.
Sounds great! Looking forward to his participation!
Hello p__,

Here I am

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:
http://www.new-equilibrium-skincare.com/cosmeceuticals/ --- to order retail products

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Thu May 07, 2009 6:08 pm

stan21 wrote:Hello, Dr. Yechiel, great news that you're coming back here! Looking forward to your participation!
Hello stan21,

Thank you and you are welcome to ask a question.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Thu May 07, 2009 6:14 pm

goten574 wrote:Do the products on that website help with hair loss or is it just myth?
Hello goten574,

I don’t believe that we ever created any myth about our products. If anything, we practice extreme understatement and use mild understatement in the way we discuss our products. In my opinion our products are solid rock (well, actually their texure is more like a cream or serum) and are some of the best products available (and that is an understatement), but that will not be good enough if you are thinking about reversing hairloss to the extent that your scalp will have no more folicullar vacancies.

Our scalpcare products are non-medicinal; we can claim to support scalp, but we can’t claim to cure balding. You can more accurately state that there are myths attached to medicinal products such as minoxidil or Propecia in reversing balding, because they do actually say that they reverse balding. Though they do a decent job for some people, they are a far cry from re-seeding the scalp with a thick coat of terminal hair, a quest which still remains utopian because there is currently no product which can do that. Maybe it cannot be done at all (though I believe it can be done) but there is no question that there will always be improvements, and that new products will be developed which can do much more than these two (even when combined) and there may even be such great products already in existence and you don’t know about them because they are still lagging in customer recognition. You may assume that if such a great product will ever appear every one will hear about it on “Good Morning America”, but the reality of product marketing is quite different. It is more normal that the best products go into oblivion; this happens more often than you would like to believe. The products which in the end receive major recognition in the market are almost never the best products, but those who received the best publicity and advocacy (this is one of the most important discrepencies between theory and reallity in a capital-driven economy). Great products for which a solid patent cannot be assumed will not be created, tested, or marketed even if “clinical studies” show that they can raise the dead (that was a joke in case you are surprised by such an over-statement).

Many great natural products are modified into risky chemical derivatives because it allows solid patenting of a new molecule. Think about it: the industry is less interested in your health and more in making money. If a product is critical for health but cannot be protected as a money maker, it is practically lost. Few companies who are also trying to survive financially like anyone else, but are not considering the big bucks as the main motive which drives their operation, are your best chance for bringing something truly beneficial to mankind and the unkind alike. There will not be trumpets declaring the arrival of such products, nor will people cease qestioning the merits of such products because there were no trumpets attached. Very rarely will you see a connection between publicity and quality. But who knows, maybe our products will be trumpeted up the road as they deserve.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Thu May 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi, Dr.Yechiel

Thanks for your good reply, I do agree, companies in this business are more interested in making money than helping people with their health, and I also agree there may be products out now that are extremely good but are not heard about due to lack of customers and word of mouth... they simply are forgotten about.

I have androgenetic alopecia and noticed I was thinning in the frontal and crown area in November 2008. I am looking for a product to return my thinning hair to it's normal state and protect it for a long time. Can your product achieve this? I am in an early stage of hair loss and fear my hair loss will progress to far for me to do something about it. What I am short of is money which is why I have not be trying many hair products.

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Thu May 07, 2009 6:24 pm

1..... wrote:Dr., I'm interested in these products, how do they fight hairloss?
Hello 1.....,

This is a very important question and I believe that our online literature is loaded with related explanations. It’s also a very broad question: I am going to answer one aspect of it here. Basically, our products are not medicines and we make no medicinal claims about them. Regrowing hair or stopping hairloss are medicinal claims. Just so that you get an initial benefit from this posting. I will say that one of the interesting things about topicals is that you cannot replicate an oral therapy into a topical therapy because there are different problems to address.

Example: Finasteride is supposed to block the conversion of testosterone (T) to DHT. It acts by inhibition of the enzyme 5-AR which facilitates the conversion of T to DHT. When you take oral finasteride, it reaches virtually all 5-AR in the body and blocks the production of DHT almost completely. If the results as they are translated to hairgrowth are not very impressive they are not going to much improve by using a stronger inhibitor of 5-AR because finasteride is already strong enough. Gamma linolenic acid is also a powerful inhibitor of 5-AR and, though it is required in higher concentrations it is almost as effective and with hardly any serious side effects because it is a natural building block of lipids in the body. The reason that finasteride is not perfect is not related to its activity in blocking 5-AR but to the fact that the DHT route is only part of the hairloss story (I am going to tell more on that hairloss story very soon and will give you a link when it is ready). Basically, if you can shatter a glass window with a bullet you don’t need to use a cannon for the same job, because a cannon will not do more than shattering the window. However, when you apply products topically there are other considerations. Finasteride or gamma linolenic acid or gallic acid derivatives (as in EGCG) will very effectively penetrate the scalp if administered via an appropriate vehicle (and into the cells as well, because the 5-AR is located inside the cells) and block production of DHT in papilla cells and in sebum glands in the scalp very effectively. However, since DHT is also generated in other parts of the body and topical anti 5-AR is not blocking the production of DHT in other parts of the body, peripheral DHT can also enter the scalp cells. So, what can be done about that? (It is also part of the bigger story of hairloss.)

This is just an example and if you come up with other questions, I will be happy to answer. The more specific the question, the more concretely I can answer.

Thank you.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:

Dr.Yechiel
Occasional Poster

Post by Dr.Yechiel » Thu May 07, 2009 6:29 pm

goten574 wrote:Since I am new to hair loss, am already apply topicals to my head and consider my scalp health fairly good, I don't think any of these products will be worth trying, although I will have a good read of their website later.
Hello goten574,

Everyone is welcome to read our literature. While our products will give you a great scalp, our product literature will much improve the grey matter which underlies the bone under the scalp. Because hairloss is in some ways similar to aging, you may find our discussion of Nanosomes™ and the cellular aging process of particular interest as a starting point: you can find that at http://www.elsomresearch.com/learning/t ... somes.htm/ .

Good luck.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Dr Yechiel. a few questions about MPB (Male Pattern Baldness), apologies if you have already discussed the things below,

1) Why is hair at the side and back of the head resistant to DHT but hairs elsehwere on the scalp are not?

2) Is it possible to block (or significantly reduce) DHT on the scalp but not elsewhere in the body?

3) If you took hair that is degrading from MPB and implant it elsewhere in the body (say an arm or leg), will the hair continue to degrade? or will it return to it's original state?

4) We know DHT isn't the whole reason for hairloss, but is it the overwhelming main reason? What other factors play in MPB?

Thanks for your time
Last edited by goten574 on Mon May 25, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perga
Prolific Poster

Post by perga » Thu May 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Dr Yechiel,

I am interested in your products, but there are too many and getting the entire scalp care package is too expensive for me. Do you offer an entry level scalp care system? Or could you recommend what you think I need based on some scalp photos (micro + macro shots)?

I currently use a basic (but very well priced) combination called "super zix II", which is Zinc, Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitasterol, B6 (I think), alcohol, and something else... polypropylene? (or something like that).

stan21
Regular Poster

Post by stan21 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:25 pm

Hello stan21,

Thank you and you are welcome to ask a question.
Hi Dr.!

Thanks for stopping by. I will take you up on that!

My first question: Of all of your products, which would you say is best suited specifically for regrowing hair (and yes, I know you can't make the claim that your products grow hair, but which of them has the best chance of possibly doing this?)

Stan

Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: 300 diode Laser Messiah II
IH's top 3 plus resv
4 Shampoo rotation
Mag Oil 3x a week
Scalpure
Adding Super Zix 2, PP topical, and Pauling Protocol

Post by 1..... » Sun May 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi Dr.

Ditto on Stan's question. Thanks in advance.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:54 am

Dr.Yechiel wrote:
Hello goten574,

I don’t believe that we ever created any myth about our products. If anything, we practice extreme understatement and use mild understatement in the way we discuss our products. In my opinion our products are solid rock (well, actually their texure is more like a cream or serum) and are some of the best products available (and that is an understatement), but that will not be good enough if you are thinking about reversing hairloss to the extent that your scalp will have no more folicullar vacancies.

Our scalpcare products are non-medicinal; we can claim to support scalp, but we can’t claim to cure balding. You can more accurately state that there are myths attached to medicinal products such as minoxidil or Propecia in reversing balding, because they do actually say that they reverse balding. Though they do a decent job for some people, they are a far cry from re-seeding the scalp with a thick coat of terminal hair, a quest which still remains utopian because there is currently no product which can do that. Maybe it cannot be done at all (though I believe it can be done) but there is no question that there will always be improvements, and that new products will be developed which can do much more than these two (even when combined) and there may even be such great products already in existence and you don’t know about them because they are still lagging in customer recognition. You may assume that if such a great product will ever appear every one will hear about it on “Good Morning America”, but the reality of product marketing is quite different. It is more normal that the best products go into oblivion; this happens more often than you would like to believe. The products which in the end receive major recognition in the market are almost never the best products, but those who received the best publicity and advocacy (this is one of the most important discrepencies between theory and reallity in a capital-driven economy). Great products for which a solid patent cannot be assumed will not be created, tested, or marketed even if “clinical studies” show that they can raise the dead (that was a joke in case you are surprised by such an over-statement).

Many great natural products are modified into risky chemical derivatives because it allows solid patenting of a new molecule. Think about it: the industry is less interested in your health and more in making money. If a product is critical for health but cannot be protected as a money maker, it is practically lost. Few companies who are also trying to survive financially like anyone else, but are not considering the big bucks as the main motive which drives their operation, are your best chance for bringing something truly beneficial to mankind and the unkind alike. There will not be trumpets declaring the arrival of such products, nor will people cease qestioning the merits of such products because there were no trumpets attached. Very rarely will you see a connection between publicity and quality. But who knows, maybe our products will be trumpeted up the road as they deserve.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:

Hi Dr Y / All ,

This is my first post! Its taken me some time to get here.lol ( Im a regular on hairsite and HLH )

I have finally become a little more topical orientated and moved a little away from the hormonal influences in male hairloss which was a real brain tease to work out!

Dr Y taken you please give us a break down on how Terminal 1 and 2 work?

http://nanosomin.com/news/

Regards
Pete :)

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:07 pm

I am turning this topic into a standard topic (un-stickying it) because it looks like Dr. Y does not plan on consistently answering questions here, so no need to keep the topic at the top of the forum.