Work together for a cure for baldness

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Wiggsworth
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: None

Work together for a cure for baldness

Post by Wiggsworth » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:44 am

Hi, I have a story for you and a suggestion that I hope could come to fruition some day. For the record, I am not bald and it seems MPB is not an issue in my family. I have been through a number of hair loss forums and they served only to depress me. Everyone seemed so desperate and some were just plain rude at others' desperation. Lots of ideas and recommendations but very few solutions. You may be asking why I was visiting these forums, well, just over two years ago I became ill and needed medication. After a short while this medication started to affect my hair. To make matters worse, my marriage went to hell and my job was put on the line. I became very anxious and stressed and due to these factors combined, the inevitable happened. There was significant hair loss and I have to admit, that was soul destroying. You know the story, you have all been through it. We can't all look as good as Bruce Willis, remember the Coneheads with Dan Aykroyd ... well, I looked like that. Then, I lost my job. I decided then that I needed to get away. I rented my apartment and went to stay with my parents to sort myself out. I admit, not many can or will do that, but we are a close family. I relaxed, I recovered and thank goodness, my hair started to grow back. Sure, there was a bit less than before but it was mostly back.

Nevertheless, I could not help but remember what I read on these forums. I would just like you to think about this... Do you want to spend the rest of your life taking medication that can seriously damage your sex life? Do you want to spend the rest of your life rubbing lotions into your head? Do you really want to take a bucket load of herbal remedies and vitamins in the off chance that they would work? I noticed that some people also concoct their own potions and devise exercise routines. Few of you go and have a transplant which is incredibly expensive and out of reach of most of us. You spend hundreds if not thousands each year in the hope that you can stop and maybe with a bit of luck reverse the hair loss. What if you get sick and have to stop using the pills and lotions? Hair loss will start almost immediately. FUE, which is the best option, means that you are simply borrowing from Peter to give to Paul and there is only so much you can do. FUE is prohibitively expensive as well. I have a friend who did it, he even took out a 10000 loan to do so. But you know what, it was the biggest transformation that I ever saw. Not his hair which was pretty obvious, but the change from a person who kept his head down and looked withdrawn most of the time to a confident, happy person. And that is the reason why I am back here today.

There are millions of men and women who need a cure for baldness. Millions of people spend a small fortune to try to save what they have. Now, just for one moment look at a cure from a different perspective. Why not get together, pool your resources and set up a fund using a fraction of what you usually spend. Then use that fund to finance research that could benefit all people who have this problem. There have been great advances in a particular field of research and only one that I think is worthwhile. Scientists have used stem cells to help create follicles. The results have been encouraging and why shouldn't they. Doctors can grow a nose on a person's forehead and an ear on another's arm. Why not a good healthy follicle? You could finance the research and keep it out of profiteers' hands. Check out these videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrgwU6tfCaY and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq692Ob9QVw - and think long and hard about it. They don't mention a 'cure' for baldness, because they don't consider it a disease. They cannot understand what people go through when they do lose their hair. They mention creating follicles for skin grafts because it is the result of an accident because they don't consider it a vanity project. Because that is what they think people who want hair are - vain. Not people who are suffering depression, lack of confidence and basically feel so low that some even go as far as to contemplate suicide. The hold up in the research seems to be that they are trying to create a scalp where a scalp doesn't exist. Wouldn't it be easier to create them where a healthy head is available? I am sure they could come up with something for baldness a lot sooner if they were properly funded.

Just think about it. No need to be rude, don't try to push the use of medications etc. Just think about what you can all achieve as a group. Just like crowd funding but for a condition that affects the lives of millions of men and women in a devastatingly negative way.

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Work together for a cure for baldness

Post by Jacob » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:55 pm

So who would be doing this again? :?