Is DMSO safe?

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

hotdillon

Is DMSO safe?

Post by hotdillon » Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:39 pm

Has anyone heard of DMSO? How safe is it really? I hear some people are using it to treat hair loss.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:26 pm

In my opinion, not safe.

hotdillon

Post by hotdillon » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:21 am

Hey Sam, I've been reading threads on topic and there are a lot of people trying this out. Maybe if used in a responsible manner it can be pretty safe. I just don't think you can write it off without looking into it more. What do you think?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:40 pm

I wasn't aware that there was such a buzz surrounding DMSO. It looks like a treatment regimen called 'Oz's Brew' is gaining in popularity, and DMSO is a key component of this regimen.

I will have to look into it more. Perhaps if Oz ever comes by this thread he may be able to shed more light on the topic.

Personally from what I have read, I think it can be dangerous, and not enough is known about the results of long-term exposure to it.

If you choose to try DMSO be very careful with it. I hope all the best for those that are trying it, but I'm worried about their health.

Sam

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:50 pm

I have asked MisterOz if he would be willing to shed some light on the matter for us. I may have been too quick to judge DMSO. I would recommend that you get yourself onto alt.hairloss.d (if you're not already there) and read the posts on this topic. I will follow this very closely.

For now, I rescind my earlier statements about the safety of DMSO. I have not made up my mind one way or the other.

Regards,
Sam

misteroz
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by misteroz » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:55 pm

Hi folks -
Sam requested that I come by and shed some light on my hair-growth success with DMSO. I would like to give you all a bit aof a background first.
I first heard of DMSO at alt.baldspot about a year and a half ago. At that time someone had mentioned satisfactory results with DMSO and wheatgrass. Not having much to investigate about wheatgrass I went straight for the the DMSO research . What I found was inconclusive as a hair growth topical but the other properties of the product intrigued me.
I thennarrowed my reserach into 3 specific ingredients
DMSO
MSM
L-Arginine

Each of these substances have very definite properties that I felt would be beneficial to hairgrowth.
My first bacth of MSM + DMSO was very exciting because it inmediately thicked the hair I had (cosmetically)
I kept investigating DMSO and found that 99% of the literature I found was VERY positive. DMSO had been used to treat a diverse vaiety of ailments from Alzehimers to Down syndrom victims.
The negative reports were related to massive dosages in mice causing something similar to catarats but again that occurred at such a high volume that you would HAVE to virtually stick your head in a vat of the stuff.
I then tried more agressively the use of DMSO. I notices a certain amount of scalp softening abd somewhat lifting of dead scalp skin . Where this dead scalp would lift off would be mainly in areas I called "Saran Wrapped" those patched that are not only bald but shiny.
After 2 weeks the skin was peeling in 1/8" chunks and some spots became bloodied. To my surprise thse bloddy patched would feel better after I saturated them in DMSO.
After my 2 week PEELING (PEELING in caps denotes the 1/8" bacon stripping) I mixed what became to be known as "The Brew"
This mix is detailed on http://www.arletis.com/ozbrew/.
Within 6 weeks tiny terminal hairs started sproting all over my head. Not vellous wispy heairs but thick and spiky , sort of a a couple days woth of beard.

I have been on The Brew for 15 months and I am still gettig new growth.
Two areas have been vey difficult, my temples.
Here I have a lower hairline from a botched hair transplant and 1/2" up my balding hairline in between there was a DMZ with no hair.
I have been able to grow a lot of hair on the DMZ and my botched HT has gotten a lot thicker with a LOT of new regrowth.
As I have told Sam the usage of DMSO is quite well spread and after my ssuccess a lot of people have used it without any detrimental side effects.
I however want you to realize that I AM NOT a doctor nor a chemist.
I have posted a VERY serious disclaimer at the URL I give in this post.
Most companies who sell you DMSO will tell you you're on your own with it because it is only approved by the FDA for ONE specific medical condition so it behooves you to do your homework.
I personally can not belive that at 51 years old I have a full head of hair with pretty much the same condtion I had wehn I was in my 30s. I feel that asI gradully regrowth I will probably regain all of my hair in 2-3 years.
I will try to stop by and answer any questions but I do recomend you drop and read my web page it will at least give you a starting point as to what the "Brew" is.
Regards

oZ.

hotdillon

Post by hotdillon » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:59 am

Hello MisterOz

Thanks for the information! It's a lot to think about. The PEELING sounds a bit frightening ... actually very frightening. Do you really feel that this is necessary? What particular properties of DMSO enticed you into using it in the first place? Is it just that it helps with penetration by helping to carry minoxidl to the follicles? Do you know anyone else that's following your brew? Are they getting regrowth?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I don't know where to begin. How did you come up with all this stuff. Not to knock it, but it seems a bit arbitrary.

misteroz

Post by misteroz » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:11 pm

DMSO realtionship to MSM made me go ahead and try it. I had used topical MSM on pretty much anything from joint pains to dermatitis with excellent results. So i was looking for a vehicle to help MSM get to the roots.
The peeling I didnt expect but .... I have always been of the opinion that the brain responds EXTREMELY favorably to an emergency call from any part of the body that is under trauma. Case in point is the way the brain converts coagaluted blood into bone to mend a broken bone. The bone produced by the trauma is 50% denser that the original bone !!! Now THAT is amazing. So why wouldnt the brain devote agreat deal of effort to regenerate a scalp that is under chemical trauma?. My hunch paid off.
The good news is that not everyone has the type of PEELING I had some people get almost no peeling at all. seems the younger you are the less peeling. Most everyone experince flaking but it goes away.
As far as success , it is pretty amazing but if I were to guess 80% of the people who follow the regimen either get a LOT thicker hair or they regrow quite a bit. There's a 5% who for some reason are allergic to DMSO and they experience a bad shed. Inmeditaly stopping the DMSO and following up with a week of emu oil applications seems to put you back where you were before the DMSO.

hotdillon

Post by hotdillon » Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:24 pm

Misteroz, do you know if any scientific research is being done on whether DMSO is a hair growth stimulant?

hotdillon

Post by hotdillon » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:28 am

Misteroz????!!! :?

LadyDeathstrike

Post by LadyDeathstrike » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:31 am

Misteroz, if you do get back i'd like to ask you about emu oil.
Do you know if it's actually been proved to stimulate hair growth?
it's used in some eyelash formulas and they claim a Boston Univ. study proves this.
thanks!

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:40 am

Helly LadyDeathstrike (nice name :wink:) and welcome!

MisterOz hasn't been by in a while so I thought I would point the way to what Doctor Lee had to say about emu oil in our experts q&a section:

Dr. Lee's Emu Oil Commentary

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sam