NeuHair

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

NeuHair

Post by Jacob » Fri May 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Looks like another lash product company has put out a hair product: http://skinresearchlabs.com/

I don't see any info there except that it's only available here:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/NeuHair-b ... 158590144/ which has a little bit more info.

DavidRNutritionist
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)

Re: NeuHair

Post by DavidRNutritionist » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:50 am

Wow -- $150.00 for just 2.7 ounces. For that, it had better work very well. According to the product page, it doesn't claim to regrow hair, only to make it thicker, stronger, and fuller, which definitely can help more than it seems.

The silk amino acids sound interesting, but you can buy your own and pour them into the hair product you already use. For example at lotioncrafter.com, you can get 4 ounces of silk amino acids for about $11.00. Almond extract and vitamins B5 and biotin can also be found in other hair loss products for far less money.

I'd like to hear anyone's experience if they have tried the NeuHair or any of the topical ingredients in it.
David Rodgers, MS Nutrition
Nutritionist, Hair Loss Author

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Hey David..just saw your post here. I'm assuming they can't make certain claims..that's why they don't talk about regrowing hair etc.

And thanks for having in your sig who you are. Feel free to post away- it's fine as long as you're up front with who you are/what you're about. 8)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:39 am

And I see he also has a book out #-o And there's also talk about calcification. Seems to be a theme amongst these guys. The before/after shown is also :roll: Maybe there are others..?

Well...let me ask a question then. When was the book first published, and when and where/how did you learn about this calcification issue?

DavidRNutritionist
Occasional Poster

Post by DavidRNutritionist » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:51 am

I try to avoid talking about my book in the forums and stick to the topic at hand. However, only because it seems that you are challenging it, I will offer these points:

- The before and after pictures were taken using the same camera at the same angle, same position, and with the same flash 10 months later. Both pictures were taken immediately after a haircut using the exact same level attachment razor (no scissor cutting either). I apologize if it is not impressive enough growth for you, but I think that you would understand that I didn't want to let myself continue to go more and more bald just to prove a point.

- The book was published in November of 2011. I don't remember the exact place I found about the calcification issue, but I stumbled upon a very interesting quote that was posted in the Journal of the American Medical Association:

Here is what it said... "Some questions concerning baldness which were raised by Dr. Ballenger’s comments in THE JOURNAL, June 27, may be answered by observations which I made while serving as technician in gross anatomy at the College of Medicine of the University of Illinois (1916-1917). I then had occasion to remove the brains of about 80 cadavers for separate use in the neurology classes and incidentally noted a seemingly obvious relation between the blood (vessel) supply to the scalp and the quantity of hair. Baldness occurred in persons in whom calcification of the skull bones apparently had not only firmly knitted the cranial sutures but also closed or narrowed various small foramens through which blood vessels pass, most prominently in persons with a luxuriant crop of hair.”
Source: http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/su ... 9/12/968-b

I also will note that if I intended to write a "fly-by-night" book with poor information, which you may or may not be implying, I probably wouldn't charge less than $10 for it and sell it mainly through Amazon, where user reviews could totally trash it if it were not worthy. It currently has 4.8 stars.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:17 pm

"The Action Guide is (a) great" etc is in 3 of the 4 reviews at Amazon. There are only 4 reviews.

That's all I'll say for now..and I say the above because- If I were in your position I'd approach things a bit differently. Adjust the attitude..etc.

"Hey thanks Jacob for the welcome! I realize there's a lot of skepticism out there, especially giving the goofballs that are out there with their own books- e-books. I do have more pictures if you'd like to see them. Or- I'm not saying my pictures prove much, but it's the best I could do"..etc \:D/

DavidRNutritionist
Occasional Poster

Post by DavidRNutritionist » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:16 am

Jacob,

I apologize for the attitude - you do a great service for people by posting a lot of interesting information on this forum that I've seen. If you are at all interested, I can send you a free copy of the book. Hopefully, you'll like it, but even if you don't, I'm sure you would at least agree that it is not "fly-by-night" or scammy. Feel free to private message me.

tinytim
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III A

Post by tinytim » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:55 am

it seems another revitalash copy but says on there site its for woman and we know some of these products had latisse in them which was removed,is it not true that allegan has not had the success it wanted with bimatoprost on scalp hair,as i was thinking of buying some until i saw its not that successful.
It seems these highs and lows happen with many products so its back to the drawing board. :-({|=

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:53 pm

David..thanks for the offer..and I'll think about taking you up on it.

On the calcification issue..I'd be curious to know your thoughts on using a product called Prevagen for that, even though it's more for brain health.

DavidRNutritionist
Occasional Poster

Post by DavidRNutritionist » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Jacob,

Sorry for my delay. Prevagen doesn't claim on their site to have calcification as a mode of action. After doing an internet search, I did find a couple people mentioning Prevagen with anti-calcification being a possibility, but I wasn't able to locate any studies in the NIH using the active ingredient, apoaequorin, or the brand name Prevagen. Let me know if you know of any studies or testimonials in this regard.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey David..same here- on the delay.

Prevagen claims to be calcium BINDING. I guess I could ask them f they consider it to "de"calcify. As for the NIH..while I'm sure it's good to have such info in there..it wouldn't prevent me from being interested in something just because it's not in the NIH database. I'm not sure some of the things being discussed or even sold for that can be found there either. I know of one combo sold for the decalcifying purpose..and although there are "studies" listed, the vast majority of ingreds(if not all but one..I'd have to look)..were about things not having to do with decalcifying.

I'll post whatever, if anything, they say.

michellesack1
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Post by michellesack1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:03 am

That seems very expensive!!!