Probiotics and atopic dermatitis

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Probiotics and atopic dermatitis

Post by Jacob » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:29 pm

Dig Liver Dis. 2002 Sep;34 Suppl 2:S68-71.
Probiotics and atopic dermatitis. A new strategy in atopic dermatitis.

Miraglia del Giudice M Jr, De Luca MG, Capristo C.

Department of Paediatrics, Second University, Naples, Italy. mmdelgiudicybernet.it

Over the last few decades, the prevalence of atopic dermatitis has been increasing from 2% to 100%, with 90% of cases within 5 years of age versus 6% between 6 and 10 years and 2% after 10 years, and environmental factors may possibly play an important role in this increase as in other atopic diseases. Many findings suggest an important role of atopy in atopic dermatitis; moreover, 40% of children with atopic dermatitis have food allergy and the removal of the food allergen from the patient's diet leads to a significant clinical improvement. In a possible scenario, IgE-bearing dendritic cells are likely to process allergens acquired in the gastrointestinal tract, circulate to the skin and activate local T cells. Cultures of beneficial live microorganisms characteristic of the commensal microflora are administered with probiotic functional foods in order to provide a microbial challenge for the maturation of gut-associated lymphoid tissue, which the infant often lacks. The probiotic effects are attributed to normalisation of the increased intestinal permeability and balancing gut microecology, improvement of the immunological defence barrier (IgA) of the intestine, alleviation of the intestinal inflammatory response, and downregulation of proinflammatory cytokines characteristic of local and systemic allergic inflammation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:13 pm

Hey Jacob,

What's atopic dermatitis? I guess I can just do a quick search on Google.

As for the benefits of probiotics, I read a book by a doctor by the name of Carolee Bateson-Koch called "Allergies: Disease in Disguise". I read this book about 5 years ago, when not many people knew what trans-fats were, or essentially fatty acids.

That's where I first came across information espousing the benefits of probiotics and several other items that I think are good for overall health by reducing overall inflammation in the body.

Anyway, you don't need pills to get the benefits of probiotics. Just eat yogurt with active culture and you're set.

Cheers,
Sam

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:41 pm

I think if you're comparing most probiotic supplements to yogurt..I'd agree, since most such supplements don't have in it what they claim etc. But something like Natren is a big step up from yogurt IMO. I've experimented with yogurt and various other probiotic supplements and am back to Natren.

Here's another article: http://nutraingredients.com/news/ng.asp ... ihstckkuay

And in case you haven't looked it up yet...here's a good page on atopic dermatitis: http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/dermatitis/

Adam

Post by Adam » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:50 pm

hey Jacob and Sam,

seems like this forum has been ignored for a while...

but anyway, you can visit this link ( http://www.springwoodhealing.com) if you're looking for an alternative way to cure atopic dermatitis... apparently it worked for my cousin.

Hope this helps,
Adam

doppelganger1

Post by doppelganger1 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:23 pm

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, "atopic" means "on top of", or at or near the surface, it appears. So atopic dermatitis means skin problems at or near the surface, which might be applicable to the scalp.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:11 am

Certainly for a lot of people, having any form of dermatitis of the scalp is a problem that exascerbates their hair loss. I'm one of those people. But I have managed to get the dermatitis under control to a large extent.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: Probiotics and atopic dermatitis

Post by Jacob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:58 pm

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Pro ... 2016-06-28
A 3 month double-blind, placebo-controlled study on 50 subjects revealed that L-92™, a heat-killed strain of L. acidophilus, effectively improves the symptoms and quality of life of patients with Th2 dominant skin inflammation, both during the study period and after. The study suggested L-92™ activates regulatory T cells, and Th1 cells.