Making topical melatonin, dumb question

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Tricia
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Making topical melatonin, dumb question

Post by Tricia » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:51 am

Couldn't you just crush up melatonin tablets and add them to a bottle of minoxidil? The minoxidil would have the required alcohol for dissolving the tablet and delivering it to your hair follicles.

I don't know what I'm talking about though. I'm just throwing that idea out there. :idea:
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:32 pm

I don't know either...I hate making my own topicals or even adding things to them. You never know how things react with each other- if they'll be stable..etc etc etc etc. And etc.

I use Equisomin which contains melatonin though. Elsomresearch.com

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:33 am

I mixed a concoction containing containing 4% spironolactone, 2% green tea extract, 2% grape seed extract, 10% pure aloe vera gel, 15% emu oil.

At one point I even added some phenytoin.

This was not the most stable topical... after about two weeks of use I stopped altogether because it caused some serious itching....

I think my topical was a bit too ambitious... Perhaps adding a bit of melatonin to minox would be more stable than my crazy mixture was. It may be worth a try... Heck, Kirkland Minox is cheap so if you ruin a bottle it wouldn't be a big loss... Just make sure you immediately stop if you experience ANY irritation should you choose to try it.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:30 am

Thanks Jacob for the link. I'll check it out.

Yeah Sam, I was thinking the same thing about Kirkland minox. It is so cheap that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I messed up one bottle.

I really wonder though if melatonin would give you a benefit or not. I read one study on ferrets (i think). They used melatonin to induce the winter coat early. It only worked for one fur cycle.

The human study was only 6 months long. Maybe you'd just get a short burst of increased growth. Who knows.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

HairIam

Post by HairIam » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:10 pm

The doc once put me on Melatonin drops when I couldn't sleep and I thought during this time my hair loss was less. However, when I questioned him about a possible link he denied that Melatonin would help with hair loss. I think that was pure ignorance rather than knowledge on his part though. Also, this was over two years ago so I didn't know anything about Melatonin helping with hair loss back then. Funny that I came to this conclusion back then by myself and I now see the same train of thought all over the Net. Perhaps there IS something in this. NB: Prescription Melatonin is far more powerful that what you can get over the counter though.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:50 pm

Tricia wrote: I really wonder though if melatonin would give you a benefit or not. I read one study on ferrets (i think). They used melatonin to induce the winter coat early. It only worked for one fur cycle.

The human study was only 6 months long. Maybe you'd just get a short burst of increased growth. Who knows.
This is why I love products such as Equisomin. It has much more in it than melatonin- creatine which has been disccussed in hairloss forums..gte...etc etc. It's expensive and isn't going to perform miracles but while I'm awaiting the miracle products...seems like a good way to go since I will not mess with my hormones or use minox.