Interesting TED talk on how sunlight releases nitric oxide in skin makes me wonder if laser therapy for hair shares same mechanism

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Interesting TED talk on how sunlight releases nitric oxide in skin makes me wonder if laser therapy for hair shares same mechanism

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:57 pm

http://www.ted.com/talks/richard_weller ... =166907-17

Wondering if the mechanism behind the fact that laser therapy is effective in fighting hair loss has anything to do with NO being released in the skin?

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Interesting TED talk on how sunlight releases nitric oxide in skin makes me wonder if laser therapy for hair shares same mechanism

Post by Jacob » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:18 am

Well they do talk about it in the LLLT/hair loss info pages out there. It's not the only thing it's supposed to do though.

Here's an example:
Various studies, including a double blind study submitted to the FDA, have shown a number of mechanisms on how Photo biostimulation effects hair growth. Doctor Michael R. Hamblin, Ph.D., a Principal Investigator at the Wellman Center for Photo Medicine and an Associate Massachusetts General Hospital Professor of Dermatology at the Harvard School of Medicine, recently presented new and updated information on the mechanism of action for “laser biostimulation” at the ISHRS 17t h Annual Scientific Meeting. He states, “Several laboratories, including ours, have reported the generation of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the mitochondria of cells during low‐level light therapy (LLLT) and the release of nitric oxide from intracellular binding proteins including cytochrome c oxidase.
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Effects- ... S.98012541