Hair Aging and Treatments

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Nanogen Scalproller
Nanogen VEGF serum
Nanogen Intervention for women
Shu Uemura Silk Bloom shampoo and conditioner
Shu Uemura Essence Absolue
Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil Shampoo
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil
Funori Seaweed Hair powder
Omega 3 6 9+1 capsule of Evening primrose oil daily

Hair Aging and Treatments

Post by Natasha26 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi everyone, I would like to post several informative and enriching articles on how to tackle aging hair which is also part of the hair fight to retain the hair's beauty and luster as we age.

http://news.yahoo.com/4-aging-signs-may ... 59102.html

4 Aging Signs May Reveal Heart Disease Risk
By Joseph Brownstein, MyHealthNewsDaily Contributor | LiveScience.com – Tue, Nov 6, 2012
A bald patch on the top of your head or a small vertical crease in your earlobe may seem like relatively harmless signs of
aging, but a new study says signs like these may signal an increased risk of heart disease.
Danish researchers found that people were 39 percent more likely to have heart disease, and 57 percent more likely to have a
heart attack, if they had at least three of these four signs: baldness on top of the head, receded hairline, a crease in the
earlobe, and fatty deposits on the eyelids known as xanthelasmata.
The researchers accounted for people's ages in their results.
Therefore, the study shows "looking old for your age, by [having] these aging signs, marks poor cardiovascular health," said
study researcher Dr. Anne Tybjaerg-Hansen, a professor and chief physician in the department of clinical biochemistry at
Copenhagen University Hospital.
While the exact reason for the links between these signs and heart disease risk remains unclear, the study "validates the
common clinical practice that the clinician examines the patient, and often looks at whether a person looks older or younger
for her age," Tybjaerg-Hansen said.
The researchers used data from the Copenhagen Heart Study, which included10,885 people who were over the age of 40.
Over the 35-year study, 3,401 participants developed heart disease, and 1,708 had a heart attack. Researchers examined six
physical features associated with aging, but found that two — gray hair and wrinkles — did not appear to be linked with
increased risk of heart problems.
The study included 5,828 men and 5,057 women. When the researchers considered the genders separately, they found that
hair loss in women was not linked with an increased risk of heart disease. However, among the 737 men who had a receding
hairline, 82 suffered a heart attack, meaning there a 40 percent higher risk in men with hair loss than those without.
Previous research has looked at whether hair loss may be a warning sign of heart disease, but results have been conflicting.
Some studies have linked the severity and type of baldness with the risks of heart disease or heart attacks to varying degrees,
but others have found no connection. Because the risk of both heart disease and baldness rise with age, it can be difficult for
researchers to separate the two in studies.
Tybjaerg-Hansen said the four signs identified in the new study should give clinicians greater incentive to treat patients who
have them. "The suggestion is that lifestyle changes and lipid-lowering therapies should be intensified, because their risk is
higher," she said.
However, the area needs more research, because "it would be nice to know why these [varying factors] would be associated
with increased risk," she said.
Tybjaerg-Hansen said, for example, that hair loss is linked with levels of testosterone in the blood, so the new study suggests
the hormone also plays a role in heart disease, but there's "no hard data there at all, [it's] only speculative."
She said the group for whom the new results would raise the greatest concern is men between ages 70 and 79. In this group,
45 percent of those with all four aging signs developed heart disease, versus 31 percent of those with none of the four. "This study underscores the importance of doing a good physical exam, in addition to any testing we're going to do for risk for
heart disease," said Dr. Nieca Goldberg, director of the NYU Center for Women's Health and American Heart Association
spokesperson, in a statement in response to the study.
While the researchers adjusted their results to account for other risk factors for heart disease, Goldberg noted that, for
example, xanthelasmata is a sign of high cholesterol levels, a traditional risk factor for heart disease.
Goldberg concluded that while the length of the study made the results compelling, doctors "need to continue to monitor our
standard testing for heart disease risk, such as measuring cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose for diabetes."
The researchers are presenting their findings today (Nov. 6) at an American Heart Association research conference. The
findings have not been published in a scientific journal.
Pass it on: Four signs of aging may be linked with heart disease risk.
Last edited by Natasha26 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Re: Hair Aging and Treatments

Post by Natasha26 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Does This Hair Make Me Look Old?

As your mane matures, going gray is the least of your worries.

By Christine Lennon
Photograph by Bela Borsodi
Styled by Felicia Garcia-Rivera
April 2012
Michele Finessi was applying oils to my scalp so gingerly that but for the slight tingle, I wouldn’t have noticed. “You feel a little fresh, yes?” he asked, referring to the eucalyptus in the cleansing oil, before massaging my head with the intensity of a faith healer. I’d signed up for Shu Uemura’s Art of Hair ceremony at the Rossano Ferretti salon in Beverly Hills—but whether this ritual was actually helping my feeble follicles was debatable.

Still, I needed the intervention: I’ve officially joined the growing population of women seeking treatment for “aging” hair. It all started on an elementary school tour last fall. Instead of listening to the advantages of Singapore Math, I found myself distracted by the back of the heads of three women in front of me. From any other angle they appeared young enough, ­suffering from only the usual parental fatigue. The view from behind, however, betrayed their lineless faces. The women’s hair—weak from overstyling and processing and naturally thinning a bit—was revealing their age. And then it occurred to me that people were standing behind me.

“Clients come in complaining that their hair is thinning at the part or the temples—or that the texture has changed as it’s gone gray,” says Santa Monica, California, dermatologist Karyn Grossman. “Women who are having children at an older age are finding that after postpartum hair loss, everything doesn’t quite come back. Then there’s also just regular genetic hair loss.” Though as someone who merely thinks her hair isn’t as shiny and pretty as it used to be, I was eager to scalp-test as many possible solutions to the problem as I could get my hands on.

First were the scalp-stimulating serums Phyto Phytolium 4 Thinning Hair Treatment and René Furterer RF 80 ­Concentrated Hair Strengthening Formula. They claim to increase hair production by boosting circulation around the follicles. I found them to be a bit like Stridex for the head—though because it takes months before you might notice any change, the jury’s still out. Temporary quick fixes—Furterer’s Tonucia No Rinse ­Densifying Mousse, which uses wheat proteins to bulk up individual strands, and Redken’s panthenol-infused Intra Force Hair Densifier—left me with a sticky, Donald Trump–ish texture, though they also seemed to lend my hair a ­heftiness it’s never achieved on its own. (Nota bene: Just because something worked—or didn’t—for me doesn’t mean it will do the same for you; everyone’s hair, aging or otherwise, has different needs.)

Philip Kingsley’s New York and London trichology clinics have been treating hair and scalps since 1960. “We’re the last place people visit,” says Elizabeth Cunnanne Phillips, a 20-year veteran of the practice. “Our patients will say, ‘I’ve been to the dermatologist, endocrinologist, my internist, and my gynecologist.’ What’s good for the body isn’t necessarily good for the hair, but when you improve the foundation—scalp, diet, internal health—you have a great chance of slowing down changes.” Kingsley’s Elasticizer—a pre-shampoo containing castor oil, elastin, and glycerine—added bounce and shine to even my most reluctant strands.

A wide array of leave-in treatments claim to restore sheen and pliability above the surface and promote follicular health below it. I tried B-vitamin-rich Phyto Phytodensium Serum and Alterna’s omega-3-packed Caviar Anti-Aging Photo-Age Defense serum. Both of these products made my hair look good on the most basic level—nothing wrong with that, of course—but for lasting results, the most promising thing for my fine, color-treated hair turned out to be Furterer’s Tonucia Redensifying Serum with vitamins E and B5, plant peptides, and lemon-balm extract. After using it twice a week for two months, my hair felt thicker and softer than it had in a decade.

Of course, hair health isn’t solely the domain of chemists: Egg yolks are a natural source of biotin—a B-complex vitamin that has been shown to promote hair and nail growth—while walnuts, almonds, and cashews contain omega-3s and zinc, known to help keep hair healthy. (You can find essential fatty acids in primrose and borage oils.)

After a great deal of trial and error, I settled into a routine of twice-weekly Tonucia serum applications, along with 2000 mcg of biotin supplements and 1000 mg of primrose oil daily. Two months into my experiment, my roots seem stronger and thicker. How my hair looks from the back, of course, remains something for you to know—and me to avoid finding out for a bit longer.

Keywords
Why
Hair by Tamara Mcnaughton for Shu Uemura Art of Hair; Makeup by Christine Cherbonnier For Diorskin at Atelier Management; Manicure by Gina Edwards for Chanel at Kate Ryan Inc; Model: Sigrid Rothe

Read More http://www.wmagazine.com/beauty/2012/04 ... z2BbX5TjHG

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Post by Natasha26 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 pm

Good Hair Days

Step aside, skin. Some of today’s most cutting-edge science is targeted at keeping hair healthy.

By Jane Larkworthy
Photograph by Sivan Lewin
December 2008

Dull, damaged, frizzy or fine—everyone’s got a hair issue. Fortunately there are new, innovative ingredients, treatments and products to help whatever ails your locks.
FRIZZ Fighting frizzy hair and fighting cancer shouldn’t even be in the same sentence, but one scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology actually has a hand in both. Engineering professor Robert Langer created a polymer-based cancer treatment—it helped earn him the esteemed Millennium Technology Prize in 2008—and somewhere along the way he found that a molecule he was working with, PolyfluoroEster, could tame frizz. “Preventing frizz is about resisting water vapor, i.e., humidity,” explains Langer, who’s a founding partner of Living Proof, the company that created No Frizz, a new line of PolyfluoroEster-infused creams and sprays (debuting in February). In spite of No Frizz’s unorthodox instructions to saturate hair with the product, the results are remarkably smooth tresses with a surprisingly light feel. In other news, salon owner John Masters decided to tackle frizz the organic way by using sea kelp and marine phytoplankton in his new John Masters Organics Shine On leave-in treatment, which launches in January at Whole Foods. Meanwhile, Rene Furterer Myrrhea Anti-Frizz Silkening Conditioner relies on myrrh extract and avocado oil to control frizz and moisturize the hair shaft.
SKINNY STRANDS Hair is classified as fine when there’s not enough of its inner foundation, the cortex, below its outer layer, the cuticle. “The less cortex hair has, the more inflexible it is,” says Thia Spearing, director of technical development at hair-care brands Matrix and Logics. “The more rigid it is, the more vulnerable it is to damage from actions like brushing.” It’s impossible to alter a hair’s cortex-to-cuticle ratio—to turn fine hair into thicker hair—but keeping the cuticle in top form while creating volume is essential. Logics Volume Wrap, an in-salon treatment, infuses the cuticle with ceramides to strengthen and repair its frayed edges, while starch in the formula makes hair feel more dense, which doesn’t sound far-fetched considering what cornstarch does to gravy. Kim Vo uses peptides—the same weapon in most lash-thickening conditioners—in his Volumizing Masque to strengthen hair and give it more fullness. Other new fine hair–targeted products are employing minerals: Calcium and silica in L’Oréal Professional Volume Expand Masque, an at-home product, separate hair fibers to create an overall fullness; magnesium pairs with seawater to tone and amplify hair in Shu Uemura’s new Art of Hair Muroto Volume line.
BREAKAGE When hair breaks easily or lacks luster, the fault often lies below the surface. “People don’t really think about their scalps,” says Carla Gentile, owner of Steam Salon in Los Angeles. “But if you look at your hair as a root, it grows out of your scalp, so that needs to be healthy.” Gentile has been focusing on scalps for nine years since opening Steam, where clients select essential oils for a 45-minute therapeutic scalp massage. A year ago she enlisted a chemist to reformulate the oils she’d been whipping up herself; he added antioxidants (like moringa, pomegranate and acai) aimed at healing hair follicles and preventing the scalp from becoming too oily or too dry. Each Steam Scalp Oil can be purchased for home use. Once your scalp is healthy, Fekkai Ageless Crème Luxe Hair Treatment will target hair’s inner cortex by penetrating it with orchid root extract, known for its long-lasting ability to retain moisture.
PARCHED TRESSES When hair looks seriously damaged, it’s often just suffering from a little thirst. Amazon Beauty uses rahua, a rare nut from the Ecuadoran rainforest, in both its elixir and leave-in treatment, which expertly seals the cuticle without weighing it down and gives colored hair a boost of brightness. Eliut Rivera, owner of Salon Eliut Rivera in New York, taps ingredients—including avocado, aloe vera and olive oil—from his native Puerto Rico for his superb Puro Hydrating Mask. Curly girls are especially vulnerable to dryness: “The whole problem with curly hair is that the outer protective layer doesn’t stay closed,” says Ouidad, the one-name curl expert of the eponymous salon and hair-care company. “So you’re susceptible to losing the hydrogen bond of moisture, which makes hair frizzier.” Her new Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner contains arnica (already popular in skincare) to increase blood circulation in the scalp, prickly pear cactus to seal in moisture and protective antioxidants such as green tea and vitamin B5.
COLOR CONCERNS Color-treated hair is prone to fading, brassiness and pesky roots. Melissa Bridgers, color director at Salon OC61 in New York, takes precautions by applying Barex’s ColourLife Masque to her clients’ just-colored hair. “Color can change the porosity of hair,” says Bridgers. “And the lighter the hair, the more porous it is, so the masque helps seal in the color and seal down its outer cuticle.” Neil Weisberg and Amanda George, owners of the Neil George Salon in Beverly Hills, recently debuted an ultrarich Intense Repair Mask for color-treated hair, which uses Indian gooseberry to impart strength while also protecting color from fading. Pale color-treated hair—blond, white and gray—is at risk of yellowing; fortunately Phytargent Whitening Shampoo neutralizes brass with cornflower extract, walnut leaf, rhatay root and broom. And Yarok Sensory Treatment for Hair and Scalp comes in seven essential oil formulas, three designed for specific hair colors; creator Mordechai Alvow is particularly proud of Serum 3, Possessed Red. “Red is the thickest and curliest hair,” says Alvow, who relies on beta carotene–rich carrot oil to preserve the red pigment and help calm the curl. Finally, for those of us who never seem to make that next coloring appointment until the roots start to show, the Oscar Blandi Pronto Colore Pen is a cute click-on device with a lip-gloss-like brush that makes precise, temporary coloring easy.
OVERPROCESSED HAIR In this age of so many mane-altering practices, even the healthiest hair eventually looks a bit beaten up. Valery Joseph sees his share of damage at his two eponymous New York salons; he hopes that the popularity of Japanese and Brazilian straightening treatments continue to wane. “The second or third time someone gets one, it’s really a disaster,” he says. “It’s just kind of killing the hair.” But until his clients see the light, he’ll be directing them to his new favorite antidote, Paul Brown Hawaii Hapuna Keratin Straightening Treatment, which, in spite of its name, he employs more as a healing aid than a straightener. “It coats hair with keratin, which is what hair’s made of, and when we seal the coating with an iron, hair keeps some of its shape so it isn’t stick straight,” says Joseph, who raves about the product’s ability to render hair shiny and shielded from sun, chlorine and pollution for about three months. Los Angeles–based hair product creator Philip B, meanwhile, is excited about his new Russian Amber Imperial Shampoo. Its $100-a-bottle price tag stems mostly from an amino acid complex his chemist introduced him to. “It’s pretty expensive, but it turns even the most damaged hair into virgin hair,” promises B, who dropped the rest of his last name years ago. The labs at French company Leonor Greyl are tapping plant life for its new Masque Quintessence: Butter made from Amazon cupuaçu fruit moisturizes, and oil from Namibian manketti fruit restores texture. Oils (olive and castor) also purport to work wonders on severely damaged strands in Philip Kingsley’s new Elasticizer Extreme.
Keywords
hair, products, What

Read More http://www.wmagazine.com/beauty/2008/12 ... z2BbbjpXdg

Natasha26
Prolific Poster
Nanogen VEGF serum
WAWAZA Aya Camellia oil

Post by Natasha26 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:57 am