Monolaurin, "MonoCaprin Plus", Phospholipids and Plant Essential Oils- Conditioner

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Monolaurin, "MonoCaprin Plus", Phospholipids and Plant Essential Oils- Conditioner

Post by Jacob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:01 am

Interesting product I may add to my arsenal:

http://www.inspirednutrition.com/2/The_ ... fense.html

Ingredients page: http://www.inspirednutrition.com/3/Dand ... ients.html

Not sure why it's called Dandruff Defense..since it should be good for overall scalp health and even other conditions. But
I suppose if it works for that.....

At the bottom of the ingreds page:
For severe dandruff problems, many people will use our Skin Defense lotion after towling off hair. They will pour a little in their hand and apply it to the scalp area. Let it set a few minutes and lightly dab off excess Skin Defense off the hair (paper towels work great). This leaves a film on the scalp to continue fighting infection and bacteria. This works better with short hair than long hair since one can't get all the Skin Defense off the hair and it leaves a 'heavy' hair feel. In those cases, stay with just the Dandruff Defense because it has been designed to better rinse off when done.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: Monolaurin, "MonoCaprin Plus", Phospholipids and Plant Essential Oils- Conditioner

Post by Jacob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 am

More on monolaurin..helping with absorption..etc...
Due to its transdermal properties, it is indicated that Colonial Monolaurin will improve the performance of the patch type delivery systems coming into vogue today. Further, Monolaurin should improve the penetration of lidocaine, capcaisin and similar actives used to relieve discomfort caused by teething, gum pain, cold sores and muscular aches.

Numerous papers site the improved transdermal penetration of drugs using Colonial Monolaurin. The addition of 10% Colonial Monolaurin can give a five-fold improvement in the drug's transdermal penetration.

Another abstract of record suggests that Colonial Monolaurin demonstrates the effective promotion of topically applied drugs in the treatment of psoriasis by providing better topical adsorption with reduced loss of the relevant active. Colonial Monolaurin could make treatments less irritating, easier to apply, and more cost effective by extending product usage.
It has always been known that higher the monoglyceride content, the better the emulsification properties. In addition, the fatty acid composition of this unique product has been peaked to give greater than 98% lauric acid, resulting in a very pure glyceryl monolaurate that is available nowhere else.
In a healing type ointment, Colonial Monolaurin can contribute to the promotion of wound healing through the reduction of advantageous bacteria. Any ointment of this type aimed at burns, bites and cuts, will be enhanced.
http://www.colonialchem.com/Products/Pe ... Monolaurin
For four years, monolaurin, in a continuing product stability study including post-market studies, has been found to successfully preserve a hypoallergenic cosmetic line of products, using no other preservatives, except this emollient ingredient (Verallo-Rowell and Moya, 2007).

All these papers confirm what initially was truly surprising: that on human skin, monolaurin is an antiseptic with broad-spectrum effects. A second surprise was its novel mechanism of action that sets it apart from other currently used antibiotics (Carpo et al, 2007).

Zinc oxide is a gold standard treatment for diaper dermatitis (DD) and irritant contact dermatitis (ICD). Last year, a resident’s award-winning RCT showed pure VCO better than zinc oxide in the treatment of DD (Martires, Montinola, Dizon,2006). Another study with similar results has just been finished using a more elegant preparation of VCO combined with zinc oxide for DD. This product also has potential use as a barrier to use in other irritant contact dermatitis, or for decubitus and other skin ulcers (Tiosudarmin and Verallo-Rowell, 2007).
Info pages on it:

http://www.naturalpedia.com/monolaurin.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... n21066514/

LinoCare contains monolaurin: http://www.elsomresearch.com/shopping/p ... cizing.htm

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: Monolaurin, "MonoCaprin Plus", Phospholipids and Plant Essential Oils- Conditioner

Post by Jacob » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Ended up purchasing a bottle of this. Received it today..will try it either tonight or tomorrow morning. It is not thick at all..like you'd think a conditioner would be...but then again, this is a scalp conditioner..not a hair conditioner.

They say you can rinse lightly to leave a bit on so it keeps working. It's a bit thicker than water..so it could easily be used as a topical. I'd call it a topical conditioner :idea:

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:36 am

Used it this morning..I guess it's not much thicker than water :lol: I'm going to towel dry my hair and apply it like a topical from now on. Rinse it 5-10 minutes later if I'll be applying a topical that morning..or leave it on(no rinse) if I'm not.

The way it felt on my scalp- for some time after rinsing as well..reminded me of Inflamil.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 am

Having used it on towel-dried hair and like a topical...I'm back to my original statement about it being thicker than water :-s Spreads around nicely.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:58 pm

The original product linked to(links no longer work) in the first post has been updated. It now also contains collodial silver: http://www.inspirednutrition.com/2/The_ ... fense.html
Monolaurin (with "MonoCaprin Plus") ........ 3.2 %
Colloidal Silver ................................... 3.0 %
Essential Oil (blend of 14) ........ ............. 2.1%
Aloe Vera (organic, whole leaf ............... 48.0%

cinnamon - (from Madagascar)
cinnamomum zeylanicum blume
cinnamomum verum
clove - (from Madagascar)
eugeniz caryophyllata
syzygium aromaticum
eucalyptus - (from Australia)
eucalyptus radiatia,
eucalyptus globules
geranium - (from Albania)
pelargonium graveolens
perargonium roseum
lavender - (France, wild-crafted)
lavendula angustifolia
lavendula atifolia
lemon - (Italy)
citrus limon
cymbopogon flexuosus
orange - (USA)
citrus sinensis
oregano - (Turkey)
oreganum vulgare
peppermint - (USA)
mentha piperita
ravensara - (Madagascar)
ravensara aromatica
rosemary - (Italy)
rosmarinus officinalis
thyme - (France, Germany)
red – thymus vulgaris (thujanol)
white – thymus zygis

Rosa damascena (rose) distillate,
Cocos nucifera (organic coconut) oil,
Hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel),
Tocopherol (vitamin E),
Simmondsia chinesis (jojoba) oil,
Xanthan gum (polysaccharide gum),
Salix nigra (organic black willowbark) extract,
Mannan,
Azadirachta indica (neem) oil,
Tetrasodium EDTA,
Polysorbate, Citric acid

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:04 pm

For anyone who tried the previous version...this stuff is a major improvement. It's whitish colored...more like a conditioner(not real thick though).. much easier to apply and leave on for a bit(or even not rinse it off) after washing. My plans are to use it for a week and then take a break for a couple or more, as well as use it when needed.