Minoxidil... speculation on why it works for hair loss

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

San-de
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Topically currently using Elsom terminals 1/2, emu oil, dermaheal, and lamas shampoo.
Internally I take selenium, green tea phytosomes, biotin, ashwagndha, GliSODin, Probiotics, ecklonia cava extract and IH top 6 (except for curcumin), and from time to time I have also taken Avodart.
I also eat a clean diet.

Minoxidil... speculation on why it works for hair loss

Post by San-de » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:16 am

WARNING THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS ARE ALL CONJECTURE ON MY PART, I AM IN NO WAY STATING THIS TO BE FACT; RATHER IT IS JUST SOME RAMBLING ON MY PART: Hello forum, I recently was mulling over the reasons minoxidil potentiates hair growth and I thought of something interesting that may have occurred to some of you before, or it may not have. Either way here it is. My theory is that Minoxidil allows hair follicles to produce stronger shafts of hair not through increased circulation but rather through collagen inhibition. Think about it collagen fibers are produced excessively in wounded tissue-- here the wounding is produced by our own immune system attacking follicular units due to DHT exposure-- which in the healing process come to form lesser/inferior quality tissues that we commonly call scars. We already know that fibrosis occurs around the follicles and produces thinner strands of hair. We also know that scar formation blocks hair regrowth throughout the entire body, as witnessed from scarred patients who can not regrow lost body hair.
Now in wounded tissues dressed with stable forms of topical vitamin C collagen formation in not over-expressed and hence the tissue often returns to a more "normal" functional state as the scarring is not as bad. If this is the case it seems that inhibiting collagen production might in some ways lessen scar tissue-- witnessed minimally in hydrocortisone application-- and I think will produce fuller, healthier hair shafts perhaps no longer choked of nutrients by fibrosis-- many of you in the forums have touched on these sentiments before. My theory therefore is that somehow minoxidil can inhibit collagen to such an extent that it can perhaps partially reverse scars that were formed for years. If this is the case isn't inhibiting/reversing collagen production in certain areas of the scalp perhaps a beneficial way for increasing hair regrowth? Is there any treatment that anyone knows about that can perhaps mimic this effect to an extent, such as a potent form of topical ascorbic acid? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

chore boy
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Minoxidil... speculation on why it works for hair loss

Post by chore boy » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Through what mechanism would minoxidil inhibit collagen formation?

San-de
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: Topically currently using Elsom terminals 1/2, emu oil, dermaheal, and lamas shampoo.
Internally I take selenium, green tea phytosomes, biotin, ashwagndha, GliSODin, Probiotics, ecklonia cava extract and IH top 6 (except for curcumin), and from time to time I have also taken Avodart.
I also eat a clean diet.

Post by San-de » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:34 am

here are some links providing some info...
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/470297_5
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8844127
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/pr ... Doi=248891
Here is also an interesting quote from the last study-- albeit a somewhat older study:
"Experiments with inhibitors of protein and RNA synthesis reveal that minoxidil may inhibit the synthesis of lysyl hydroxylase by acting at the transcriptional level. Treatment of cells with minoxidil is also associated with inhibition of proliferation, without any sign of cytotoxicity. This effect of minoxidil is accompanied by inhibition of DNA synthesis. Since collagen is the major product of fibroblast activity and lysyl hydroxylase catalyzes a crucial reaction in collagen biosynthesis, the combined effects of minoxidil offer the potential for its use as an antifibrotic agent. Thus, minoxidil may prove to be beneficial in treating skin conditions associated with collagen accumulation."
Basically I'm only interested in this because I know minoxidil works for some but I personally have never been interested in it due to too many side effects. I was hoping maybe someone could think of a possible safer alternative which could work by similar means. It would be interesting to see if collagen or rather excessive collagen truly plays a hand in hair loss. Than again aging and loss of collagen could contribute to possible loss of scalp elasticity and hence hair loss as well. Sometimes this is all so confusing... I just wonder if the collagen inhibition effect from minoxidil is how it regrows hair. It just boggles my mind that still to this day doctors aren't even sure how minoxidil restores hair.

Lakers
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Lakers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 am

Hmmm Interesting theory. Maybe this explains why my face wrinkled up and changed texture over a 3-4mo span with Minox. However, How do you explain an increase in hair where there was none? IE back of neck, above eyebrows, increased body hair etc etc. I do believe collagen may be affected bc this isn't the first time I've read that however there must be other mediums in which minox grows hairs.

San-de
Occasional Poster
I also eat a clean diet.

Post by San-de » Mon May 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Lakers sorry it took me so long to reply I've been busy with schoolwork-- I also try not to frequent hair loss boards too often as it starts to drive me crazy. That is an interesting question..personally I have never had excess facial/body hair growth from minoxidil and I have flirted with it on and off for a few years. it does however exacerbate bags under my eyes--which i suspect also are contributed to from gluten allergies-- and it does seem to affect my heart rate strangely. Minoxidil is crazy stuff! that said it does work better for me unfortunately than most of the other more natural topicals I've tried, including my recent usages of elsom and dermaheal, although i must admit I should probably give both some more time. I am really just trying to find a product that supplies results at least comparable to minoxidil but without all the added %&$!. I guess we're all looking for this holy grail.
If i had to guess i would say perhaps the way it contributes to body hair and facial hair is not by entirely identical mechanisms. In other words perhaps it decreases heart rate enough for a blood thickening effect in certain individuals, to increase nutrient absorption in otherwise hypertensive regions, and this is how it grows body hair. For head hair this is insufficient. It can supply all the nutrients it wants but without the added effect of reducing fibrosis the nutrients aren't getting to anything. As the minoxidil reduces the amount of collagen tissue buildup on follicular units, perhaps than and only than is it able to have any effect of stimulating growth through increased blood supply. but than again this is just an educated guess...I am not a scientist. Well i do study science but not biology lets just say that.
Ultimately this all just proves that we still have alot of things to factor in concerning hair loss not least of which is individual blood pressure rates, and the response this has on hair growth.

doke
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III A
Treatment Regimen: trialing scalpure with pantostin

Post by doke » Mon May 17, 2010 4:02 am

Hi guys you could try l oreal aminexil as it is a natural treatment with some success as i may try it,its been around a fair time though. :-"

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Mon May 17, 2010 4:13 am

sd and chore spectral dnc have a natural topical containing aminexil and another with minoxidil+aminexil :-"

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:44 am

MINOXIDIL works by:

1) Boosting bloodflow
2) Balancing the immune response

Thanks
Pete

iluvhair
Regular Poster

Post by iluvhair » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:31 am

Pete if it works by balancing immune response, doesn't this mean it could protect/prevent hair loss? Minoxidil is only a growth stimulant, I assumed?

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:51 am

Think about its active ingredient :

1) it boost Nitric oxide
2) dilates bloodvessels

Minoxidil doesnt seem to regenerate the damage caused in MPB - this is what is missing.

Thanks
Pete

iluvhair
Regular Poster

Post by iluvhair » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Do you know anything about Aminexil? I believe it's an analog of Minoxidil, but is suppose to prevent/reverse fibrosis and hardening of the follicle.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Never tried it.If you have some info , please share.
Regeneration isnt an easy task.

Thanks
Pete

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:22 am

check out l oreal or maxelene which is a bit cheaper than loreal aminexil is a natural alternative to minoxidil.