Life Extension Healthy Hair Spray

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

MG63
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes
Treatment Regimen: Laser
Dermaheal
Crescina Stem Cell 500

Life Extension Healthy Hair Spray

Post by MG63 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Does anyone have information / experience with the Healthy Hair spray at Life Extension?

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... Spray.html

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Life Extension Healthy Hair Spray

Post by Jacob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:37 pm

I think in the magazine write-up on it they mention the product has been available in Europe or ? for some time. I thought it was strange we never heard of it then.

At least they're not just selling Dr. P's magic potions anymore. :-s

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:48 pm

Bocaj - what do you think about topical progesterone cream ? Any experience with it?

doke
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood III A
Treatment Regimen: trialing scalpure with pantostin

Post by doke » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 am

procapil is from europe and the makers now have hairforce one made in france about £27 for shampoo and 2 month lotion containing procapil peptide.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:02 pm

N0rwgnKid wrote:Bocaj - what do you think about topical progesterone cream ? Any experience with it?
Not my cup of tea. If it's needed someday..that's another thing. Here's one "study" btw..which you probably have already seen: http://www.androgeneticalopecia.com/hai ... ness.shtml

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:32 am

The link does not work anymore, unfortunately.

Not your cup of tea but if needed one day you will use it,... because, you have great faith in it ? :)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:20 am

No..I was not referring to using it for hair loss someday. :roll: :lol:

The link works..for me anyway. Try copy/pasting it. Here it is though:
Effects of topical progesterone in treating pattern baldness

Progesterone is a compound that has high structural similarity to testosterone, and therefore can use the same enzymes (5 alpha - Reductase), and bind to the androgen receptor. Some progestins (synthetic progesterone) have inherent estrogenic as well as androgenic effects. Although progesterone binds to its own intracellular transcription receptor, it has affinity to the androgen receptor, which renders it able to act as an androgen or as an antiandrogen.

Progesterone is a potent inhibitor of 5 alpha - Reductase activity and androgen receptor binding. 5 alpha - Reductase is the enzyme responsible for the metabolism of testosterone to DHT. Compared to testosterone, DHT binds the androgen receptor with five times the tenacity of testosterone and is more potent in its ability to cause downstream activation. Progesterone also inhibits the formation of 5 metabolites from androstenedione. Progesterone is rapidly metabolized in most tissues (including skin) to relatively nonandrogenic substances. One milliliter of a 2 percent solution applied topically twice daily appears to be well tolerated in women, but higher doses lead to menstrual irregularities.

Topical progesterone has been utilized widely, but has not been thoroughly tested in clinical studies. One study undertaken to ascertain the efficacy of the compound used topical progesterone (concentration and vehicle unnamed) for 10 to 48 months in 12 men, in the age group 18 to 39 years, with male pattern baldness. None of the subjects grew hair: 6 of them developed further thinning, and the other 6 had the same hair density.

A "positive" response was documented in 14 patients who were treated with topical 11alpha - hydroxyprogesterone, 15 mL of a 0.5 percent solution applied twice daily to the scalp for 2.4 to 4 years.

A 12-month study of 1% 11 alpha - hydroxyprogesterone lotions in 18 young men with androgenetic alopecia was performed. The 11 alpha - hydroxyprogesterone treated group had increased numbers of anagen hairs in the treated scalp, and 9 of 10 had improvement. There was a decrease in anagen hairs and worsening hair loss in 7 of the 8 controls.

Overall, topical progesterone has not been found to be of great value in treating androgenetic alopecia, but it can have a limited positive effect for some people.

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks for that post Jacob, very interesting ! Do you know if 11 alpha - hydroxyprogesterone is a synthetic hormone? Some say that synthetic forms of progesterone may not be the safest. You seem to have tried a lot of stuff Jacob, and seem to be willing to give things a try, why not topical progesterone ?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Caution! Questionable carcinogen. May cause eye, skin, and respiratory tract irritation.
Target Organs: None known.

Potential Health Effects
Eye: May cause eye irritation.
Skin: May cause skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Ingestion: May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May be harmful if swallowed.
Inhalation: May cause respiratory tract irritation. May be harmful if inhaled.
Chronic: Limited evidence of a carcinogenic effect.
https://fscimage.fishersci.com/msds/15653.htm

Me..myself..and I....I just don't care to use it at the moment. I've followed Mercola and others on the subject..so know the pros and cons..someday- maybe.

I'll read this sometime while the snow melts:
http://www.gaiaresearch.co.za/progesteronecancer.html

iluvhair
Regular Poster

Post by iluvhair » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:31 pm

the thing that always confused me about progesterone is the fact that it could act as an antiandrogen, or an androgen! i mean how do you know what its going to do? it always seemed to me that it could HURT hair. thats why id prefer topical estriol.

N0rwgnKid
Seasoned Poster

Post by N0rwgnKid » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 am

But is topical estrogen available in any topicals on the market today ?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 am

I wonder if they're going to discontinue it..or update it..and/or replace it with something else...

It's on sale: http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplements ... Spray.html