saw palmetto study

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

James

saw palmetto study

Post by James » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:13 pm

Some interesting stuff, thought that you guys would be interested.

From the 4th Intercontinental Meeting of Hair Research Societies.

Effectiveness of Serenoa Repens on Androgenetic Alopecia

Aim: the aim of this double blinded study was to evaluate the activity performed by 3 different cosmetic formulations especially enriched with Serenoa Repens extract with a known quantity of total sterols on the hair growth and serbum secretion.

Method: 34 men and 28 women, aged 18-48 were divided into 3 groups using the products for 3 months. The first group used all 3 products enriched with Serenoa repens extract, the second of all 3 products (placebo free of Serenoa repens extract), and the third group use used shampoo and lotion enriched with Serenoa repens extract, but dietary supplement placebo.

Results: the results showed a significant 35% hair increase both on number and mass, and a contemporary 67% decrease superficial sebum in the 1st group. Group 3 revealed a hair increase of 20% with a contemporary decrease of deborrhea 35%. Group 2 had no results.

Conclusions: this study confirms effectiveness of Serenoa repens extract on hair baldness such as androgenetic alopecia, especially when connected with 5 alpha reductase activity.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:37 pm

Blueshard,

This is a very interesting study indeed. Maybe the saw palmetto in various products like Revivogen can be beneficial afterall. I'm curious what people like Bryan Shelton would think of this study.

Regards,
Sam

James

Post by James » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:39 pm

I showed this study to other people and I guess that major downfall of this study was that it was only a 3 month study. I do not believe this entirely makes it obsolete but it does cause question to its validity.