So many new ingredients, any sort of concensus yet?

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

perga
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

So many new ingredients, any sort of concensus yet?

Post by perga » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:07 pm

apple stem cells
stem cell activators
growth factors
telamorase stuff

what is the verdict? is any sound science or trials backing any of these ingredients?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: So many new ingredients, any sort of concensus yet?

Post by Jacob » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 pm

I think there's sound science behind them. Trials?...haven't seen too much of that. StemCello talks about "trials"...the Derma-P seems to have done some regarding shedding..etc.

I'm personally optimistic about what these things can do if given enough time. And used the right way.

chore boy
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by chore boy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:30 pm

Just my opinions, obviously.

apple stem cells = delay senescence. Ideal ingredient to maintain hair.
stem cell activators= who knows
growth factors= could have a use to "set things in the right direction" once you take care of the inhibitory factors that are preventing IGF, etc from already growing hair.
telamorase stuff= the hair growth properties of telomerase likely are independent of its adding of telomeric repeats. Back to the correcting inhibition before proliferation thing.

Swimmy
Seasoned Poster

Post by Swimmy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:31 pm

So lets throw them all together into one treatment?

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:28 am

At this point, given the evidence they are all a bunch of failures that fall way short on results, if the science behind them all is so brilliant why are we not seeing results?

Take a look around there seems to be a new product being released every day with big claims and no substance, they are all marketing on the hype of the new big unknown and they know its a goldmine.

The market is bursting full of these products and it has exploded more recently.

Where is the proof, where is the research and findings, why are we not seeing results, why no approvals, etc.
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 am

Some of us ARE seeing results. Nothing is going to be the cure until it actually is..the cure.

I'm not sure any of them are promising to grow a thick head of hair..but I could be wrong :-s

kamisama
Seasoned Poster

Post by kamisama » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:27 pm

But honestly none of these alternative topicals actually have any stunning regrowth like some who manage to get with minox isn't it. ive honestly yet to see anyone with full regrowth on these topicals, like the minox users on success stories section of hlt.

perga
Prolific Poster

Post by perga » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:44 pm

i put minox on my head 3 times and nearly died of a heart attack

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:18 am

kamisama..I'd love to see the "full regrowth" pictures :-s

There's a reason why so many are looking into and trying other things...besides or instead of minoxidil. These particular topicals we're talking about here are fairly new..so keep that in mind. In the case of DermaHeal..which has been out for awhile..we're finally getting feedback from ppl who actually stick with it. And I hope they continue to stick with it.

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:05 am

Jacob wrote:There's a reason why so many are looking into and trying other things...besides or instead of minoxidil. These particular topicals we're talking about here are fairly new..so keep that in mind. In the case of DermaHeal..which has been out for awhile..we're finally getting feedback from ppl who actually stick with it. And I hope they continue to stick with it.
The reason why they are looking for something else is because minoxidil has side effects, is messy and they want a more natural lasting result or perhaps it didn't give as good as results as expected and given what we have seen from say minoxidil and DermaHeal I can safely say that minoxidil is the clear winner at this stage in terms of regrowth regardless of any other factor (see above)... with minoxidil the results speak for themselves but these other products (i won't mention names) that have similar ingredients and concepts have not impressed me at all, if there are people seeing results i'd like to see them.

The companies don't need to promise anything the hype is already there... all companies have to say is stem cell and people start jumping out of their chairs throw cash out of their wallets as if they were at a strip club and then when its over all they can do is wonder where their money went and why are they left unsatisfied.
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

perga
Prolific Poster

Post by perga » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:26 am

I'm not saying these products are perfect, or everything I could ever want. I'm BEGGING for a product that is EFFECTIVE and side effect free. I'm not even asking for a cure. All I want is something that provides considerable regrowth... even if I had to apply it twice a day and it smelled like diarrhea.

I'm still blown away that the most effective products are like 20-30 years old. There is so much f-ing money BEGGING to be spent on something that actually WORKS. Makes me want to be a biochemist and do it myself.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Fizzball..yes, side effects are another. But again..many if not most of those using minox are also using other things or looking to..because not many get even decent results with just minox. There are no "full regrowth" pictures of minox users.

I'd be happy to read about those who have used any of these other products..DermaHeal included..for a good year or so. They may be out there..I don't know. I just haven't seen them. That's all I'm waiting for.