ATP - Adenosine triphosphate

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

ATP - Adenosine triphosphate

Post by Joanne » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:51 pm

FWIW ... SkinActives has an ATP active:

"There is no such thing as “most important molecule in life” (because life requires an enormous complexity), but if there were, I would choose ATP for the title. This is life’s energy currency, the universal energy storage unit, used in practically every synthetic reaction that happens not just in our bodies but in all animals, plants and bacteria (and even in viruses when they are directing traffic in the host). I am including ATP in our perfect line of actives NOT because it will solve all your problems, it will not. First of all, ATP is being formed and broken continuously, so any energy stored in the gram of ATP we can sell you will be used up almost instantly. But the ADP and phosphate formed as a result will be used and reused by your body, so there is no waste here.
Go to our newsletter from November 2008 for more information on ATP and how the mitochondria makes it."

http://www.skinactives.com/forum.aspx?fid=15025255

$9.50 for 2.4 grams. A lot cheaper than Shiseido...

zixcreator
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Zix

Re: ATP - Adenosine triphosphate

Post by zixcreator » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi Joanne. Since ATP is used in the cells do you have any evidence that it survives passing through the skin, into the blood stream and then into the cells? Something doesn't smell right to me.

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Re: ATP - Adenosine triphosphate

Post by Joanne » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:27 am

zixcreator wrote:Hi Joanne. Since ATP is used in the cells do you have any evidence that it survives passing through the skin, into the blood stream and then into the cells? Something doesn't smell right to me.
No, I have no evidence. Only pointing it out because there are several products out there (the Shiseido one, for instance) that feature adenosine as a key ingredient. It's always intrigued me, but haven't tried it.

I know what you're saying about the "smell factor". It's like those skin care products that contain collagen. There's no proof it is absorbed into the skin cells ... supposedly the molecules are too large. Could just be hype.

But it's a new active over at SkinActives, so I was just passing the info along. No endorsement. For that price though, I might pick some up and see if it does anything. Maybe I'll try it first as a skin care ingredient and add it to a simple base cream or emu oil. Couldn't hurt, might help.