Iron, nails, hair.

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

chore boy
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Iron, nails, hair.

Post by chore boy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:46 am

Something's definitely up with my nails; They're thin and have developed crosswise depressions/ridging and it seems to be progressing in severity as time goes on. I've tried to e-diagnose myself and it appears to most resemble Koilonychia. If that's the case, ferritin levels are the lead suspect and I suppose I should just go get some testing done and find out for sure before I get all hopped up on iron supplements.

Is anyone familiar with links between iron levels and say.... hormone profiles, finasteride, metabolic syndrome, MPB-"related" health issues (I use the term related in reference to PCOS, heart disease, etc. that we see when AGA is near by)? I need to run and can't look it up right now but will post something kickass in the meantime (Notice Cotsarelis):

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196057,00.html

hairikrishna
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Iron, nails, hair.

Post by hairikrishna » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:25 am

Very interesting article Chore Boy and thanks for posting it.

I don't know if I should just print this article and fax it to my doctor before making an appt with him or if I should just see my derm or a doctor specializing in hair loss here in my area. I don't even know where to begin. I realize any doctor can order up a blood test to check for anemia or low iron levels but it would be interesting to see if they can prescribe a dose that reaches Cotsarelis' recommended levels to potentially curb hairloss. I suppose a dermatologist will do since Dr. Cotsarelis is himself a derm.

After reading the article I presume that Cotsarelis is to some degree making a sweeping statement that ppl suffering with MPB have an underlying iron deficiency and normal androgenic alopecia variety type of baldness itself is a physical manifestation of this. Do you agree with my assessment?

On another note, I didn't say this but I've been in contact with Dr. Cotsarelis before. I guess I could just ask him for more information on the article so that I can make an appt. w/ my own primary physician to see if my iron levels are in sync with Cotsarelis' recommendations. Personally and I believe I speak for most of us, I'd rather depend on iron supplementation than to be dependent on a DHT inhibitor such as finasteride (Propecia & Proscar)or dutasteride (Avordart).

I guess theoretically, if it was as simple as supplementing with Iron in controlled dosages in order to maintain the recommended baseline then this would be the ideal if it ceases MPB hairloss with regrowth or normal growth. The article was written 2 years ago and Cotsarelis is one of the lead investigators and sits on the scientific advisory board for Follica, Inc.

I'm sure everyone has already seen this but I thought I'd post it as it has to do with Dr. George Cotsarelis research on hairloss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V64ht1r8APo

Swimmy
Seasoned Poster

Post by Swimmy » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:53 pm

A theory that been going around. Excessively high iron levels in full grown males maybe a main cause of hair loss.

hapyman
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hapyman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Second what Swimmy is saying. There are some studies that suggest that a good percentage of MPB individuals have excess iron. More info over at IHs forum on this topic. Curcumin is purported to help chelate excess iron.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 pm

If anyone IS thinking of taking an iron supplement..you may want to look into Albion's chelated one..it's in Swanson's multi-mineral product. I had asked some time ago about the problems with (most) men taking extra iron. I was told the amount in the Swanson product wouldn't be a problem..theirs doesn't build up in your system or some such thing. I think I posted their response at Hairsite...or was it Regrowth....