Dermatopoietin-activates expression of all skin tissue relevant growth and differentiation factors like HGF, KGF and TNF-alpha

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Dermatopoietin-activates expression of all skin tissue relevant growth and differentiation factors like HGF, KGF and TNF-alpha

Post by Jacob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I don't recommend things [-( but I do love using the stuff(the 1-4 one at least). Using it along with other things so it's hard to say what's doing what. This is one product I will most likely continue to use..since it's only used 4 days in a row..then 10 days off. I may even start taking 12 or more days off..once I start the DermaHeal Stem C'rum product. Will even be taking a month off while using the C'rum.

Joanne
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)

Re: Dermatopoietin-activates expression of all skin tissue relevant growth and differentiation factors like HGF, KGF and TNF-alpha

Post by Joanne » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:00 pm

kamui2 wrote:
Joanne wrote:It's been about 2 1/2 months since I started the Dermatopoietin. I went through 4 full cycles of Day 1-4 and 5-14 serum. To be honest, in the last cycle, I didn't use the 5-14 serum very consistently as I really don't like how it leaves my hair.

The good news ... shedding is still way, way down. I'm probably around 100 hairs/day, give or take 20. This is (unfortunately) a big improvement from the 200-300+ hairs/day shedding of the last few years. I'm happy.

The not-so-good-news ... I don't see any signs of regrowth at all. I wasn't really expecting to, so I'm not disappointed and the reduced shedding is a big plus. I haven't used any topical for the last 2-3 weeks and have not noticed any real difference in the shedding, so the results don't seem to go away when you stop using it. Yet.

My only real complaint about this product is the Day 5-14 serum. After a few days, my hair is so over-conditioned that it lies completely flat and lifeless on my head. I wouldn't use it again. The Day 1-4 serum was amazing. Hair and scalp felt great, hair looked full and thick.

I'm going to take a break from this and probably start the Crescina product I bought a few months ago. Hopefully get a little regrowth.

Also ... I'm going to start doing laser treatments at a salon here in town. They have a special discounted price of $500 for 12 weeks/ twice a week. If there are no results, there's a full refund, so I have nothing to lose. Even though I've had a DIY laser device for about 14 months, I still think there's a piece of the puzzle we haven't incorporated into them ... and I suspect that might be pulsing lasers, which this salon device has. Thursday is my first treatment ... I'll report back if there are any results. Now that the shedding seems to be somewhat under control, I'm really focusing on regrowth.
That's good news Joanne..

Why not continue to use the 1-4 day serum just in case the shedding comes back? :D
I guess the main reason is cost ... especially since the 5-14 serum ends up being a waste. Maybe it does some good, but I don't like it.

Good new is after more than 2 months, I'm shedding even less. A week or two after I finished the Derma-P, I started 2X/week LLLT treatments at a salon (see above). The shedding is less than it's been in years and I might (fingers crossed) be seeing some new growth. Will post more about this particular device soon. It's a little different than most and has some interesting features.

Also, this week I added Lamas to the routine (based on the link for the great price). Got the shampoo and serum. I really like the shampoo. Leaves my hair clean and shiny, not dry and not overly conditioned. But the serum ... OMG* ... this is the perfect daytime serum for me. It's almost a styling product. I massage it in after towel-drying my hair and blow dry ... my hair looks thicker and shinier. Even if this had NO therapeutic value, I'd use it just for styling reasons. Added benefits are no itch and the scalp feels cool and calm. And it smells nice. Wish I'd tried it sooner.

(PS ... *that's not a shout-out to a certain Messiah, just a little sms shorthand :lol: )

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 pm

You could just get the 1-4 day product. But if things are going good for you..maybe it's not needed. I wonder what is going to be in the new 5-14 day product..guess I'll try to find out.

Messiah..ha. "Messiah's" are taking over our country, it seems. :-s

clau
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: mainly IH's
topicals: DermaP, Pristeen and Lamas
shampoo: rotating T-Gel, biotin b-complex, Lamas, Pristeen.
no more minox !

Post by clau » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Jacob,
regarding your comment about dermaP (day 5-14) on topc dermaheal stem c'rum, here you are....

"Dear Claudio,
Thank you for your letter.
Let inform you that the HAIR PROTECTION SYSTEM SERUM DAY 5 to 14, 60ml with the new formulations will be available in the end of April.
Best regards"

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:50 pm

And the new formula is now available..but don't yet know what the ingreds are. Also..I noticed this new pdf on the site: http://www.unicos.ch/docs/Dermatopoieti ... eltine.pdf

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Carbometer, Panthenol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Parfum.

ChuckP
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II A

Post by ChuckP » Mon May 24, 2010 2:22 pm

I just got my 1-4 day serum, I forgot why some don't like or use the other one. I remember some saying they didn't like it so I just order the 1-4

kamui2
Seasoned Poster

Post by kamui2 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:52 pm

anyone buy their new 5-14 day serum?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:51 pm

ChuckP..the 5-14 was kind of oily..didn't absorb like the 1-4. I still wish all topicals were like the 1-4. Well maybe the 5-14 one is now..maybe I'll find out soon.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:59 pm

I don't know if anyone else has tried the 5-14..but it is a lot better now. I still wish all topicals could be like this. The consistency...the smell....the absorption...neutral color or even clear...etc.

I see they have some new products, including a men's skincare combo: http://www.swiss-cosmeceuticals.com/dni ... TION%20MEN

davetherave
Seasoned Poster

Post by davetherave » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:15 am

Is anyone grwoing any hair from this? :-"

Swimmy
Seasoned Poster

Post by Swimmy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 am

I'll buy the 1-4. The 5-14 still seems useless even with a new formulation. Especially if you're taking Elsoms.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:12 pm

davetherave..yes..and I can pinpoint that this is exactly what is doing it. :twisted: I just keep using it because I like the science behind it..love using the product..doesn't have to be used all the time..etc. The 1-4 product that is. I have to agree with Swimmy- I think I'd rather use other things the other days.

Someday I'd like to try their men's facial product there..someday.

clau
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: mainly IH's
topicals: DermaP, Pristeen and Lamas
shampoo: rotating T-Gel, biotin b-complex, Lamas, Pristeen.
no more minox !

Post by clau » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:41 pm

davetherave wrote:Is anyone grwoing any hair from this? :-"
Davetherave,
I wouldn't say i got hairgrowth but so far, DermaP (1-4) is the ONLY thing that reduces my hairloss. no doubt.
Clau

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:16 pm

Good to hear that, clau. It'd be interesting to hear from more who have had problems slowing down/halting their hair loss. Strange why more didn't take up the company on their trial offer way back when it first came out.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:46 pm

Yet another..that I wonder if anyone else is sticking with.. :-s

Here's a Russian forum talking about it(looks like the skin products as well)..very long thread: http://www.plastic-surgeon.ru/forum/sho ... php?t=3479

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Dr. Igor Pomytkin and Dr. Peter Schoch were awarded the Professional Award "Breakthrough of Decade" at 10th Jubilee Symposium on Aesthetic Medicine, 27 January 2011, Moscow for publishing concept DermatoPoietin ® - the regulator of the formation and functioning of the skin in the magazine "Aesthetic Medicine".

http://www.unicos.ch/component/content/article/46.html

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Other
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Treatment Regimen: Nizoral 2% 2x/week started on May-2011.
Finasteride 1.25g 6x/week started Oct-2011.
Minoxidil 5% 7x/week started on Nov-2011.

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:18 am

The fact they haven't made a real study with people with androgenic alopecia is not very enticing.
http://www.hairlossfight.com/forums/vie ... =50#p12045

from their website
The anti-hair loss effect of Dermatopoietin® was evaluated in a pilot study with 5 volunteers
Unfortunately I've already passed the intensive shedding phase. I have diffuse hair loss and even though I have hair everywhere, there are maybe 5-10x less than what it should be.
I don't think this would do much for me now.

But it's good to know it worked with Joanne.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:24 am

There were some others in the other forums that it worked for as well. It's another one of those that others tried but then they don't keep up with it or don't post about it.

I think they only make the claim for decreased shedding so as not to get in trouble with the FDA..as I stated in that other thread.

The study was a "pilot" study..so yeah, not many at all..better than nothing though I guess, like some other products out there. I'm trying to remember if they were doing other studies or not..guess I'll ask again.

On the home page there's this:
Scientific Background of Dermatopoietin®

Dermatopoietin® is our trade name for interleukin-1 alpha (IL-1 alpha), a cytokine of 159 amino acids. IL-1 alpha is best known to biologists as pyrogen and pro-inflammatory compound involved in the regulation of immune responses. But it is much more than that: as a pleiotropic factor it is expressed in many different tissues and exerts distinct and site-specific effects.

In normal human epidermis IL-1 alpha is produced on a constitutive basis by keratinocytes in substantial amounts. Growing evidence suggests that it plays an essential role in skin homeostasis and in the regulation of hair growth.
Role of IL-1 alpha in hair growth

The effects of IL-1 alpha on hair follicle growth are complex. IL-1 alpha does not inhibit hair fiber growth but it seems to inhibit the proliferation of matrix keratinocytes. This effect is mediated by cAMP. However, at the same concentration IL-1 alpha also dramatically stimulates follicular papilla cells to express growth factors (KGF, HGF, GM-CSF, VEGF) required for keratinocyte proliferation, hair follicle development and differentiation, leading to hair growth and elongation as well as proper vasculature around the hair follicle during the anagen growth phase.

IL-1 alpha further stimulates the expression of PN1, the main marker of anagen hair follicles. PN1 is a serine protease inhibitor with activity against thrombin, plasminogen activators tPA and uPA, trypsin and plasmin. Thrombin is the main target of PN1. Thrombin receptors are present in hair follicles only during the catagen phase. Activated by thrombin they reduce the hair growth-supporting activity of follicle papilla cells (switch to catagen). PN1 co-localizes with thrombin and restricts its activity in follicles, which is associated with their switching to anagen. IL-1 alpha also suppresses androgen receptor expression by follicular papilla cells, a clear anti-androgenetic alopecia effect.

IL-1 alpha or IL-1 alpha-inducing agents reduced or prevented chemotherapy-induced alopecia and alopecia areata in human and in animal studies. These agents did not induce hair loss in these studies. The only case of IL-1 alpha-induced hair loss are transgenic mice constantly over-expressing IL-1 alpha in skin, a model far from reality.

These data suggest that the effects of IL-1 alpha are mediated by follicular papilla cells and that these effects are related to the anagen phase of hair follicles. Taking into consideration that IL-1 alpha is constitutively expressed in substantial amounts by keratinocytes and that this expression coexists with hair growth, these data strongly suggest a dominant role of IL-1 alpha in the regulation the normal human hair cycle.
And I think this is the same file I uploaded at my.hairlossfight: http://unicos.ch/docs/IL1a_in_hair_cycle.pdf

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:33 pm

This is one of those products that just ran out of steam due to their own marketing failures, they should seek FDA approval if it is as good as they say and I mean that in the nicest possible way, there are so many products out there like Renokin, Dermaheal, etc that need to get this approval or they are just gonna pack up shop one day and leave everyone hanging.
So all in all they owe it to themselves and their customers to take the next step.

I get a sense that this one seems safe to use for some reason though but FDA approval would increase its popularity if it can at least be proven to match the big 2 of hair loss products without the side effects.
Most people at this stage want a maintenance product until the big guns arrive, anderans, follica, histogen etc, which by all indications may only be a few years away.
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:11 pm

I don't know if it pays to go for FDA approval for "maintenance" though..although I believe this product can do better than that. I've said before too that I can't see any company going for FDA approval unless it can really outdo Minox and/or Fin. But who knows :?:

A company like this may get more users too if they get distributors in the USA etc. They also have the big plus of only needing to use the main product 4 days in a row and then taking 10 days off. Hmmm..imagine if they could get FDA approval :lol:

Fizzball
Prolific Poster

Post by Fizzball » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I think FDA approval is essential regardless, there are a lot of people on the internet that would be content to have a safer alternative to minoxidil and propecia, we all know they both have their downsides and for many those side effects and downsides often means that they will not use it but would be happy or happier with similar results without all the problems that come with those two products.

When you talk to experts of hair loss or go to an actual legit clinic you would be hard pressed to hear them recommend a non FDA approved drug or product to treat their hair loss problem and there is good reason for them not to (its not because of money or affiliations) but simply because it has not got that approval that means that it has been thoroughly tested to work and will not cause any risk to your health such as cancer.

Just imagine if this company’s product(s) were approved and found to be better or as good as propecia and minoxidil, there would be massive gains for all involved and then you truly would see worldwide distribution much to the same that minoxidil and propecia have.

At the end of the day the hair loss industry is a complete failure and most of hair loss centric products will cease to exist in a few years or will live on as a failure and possibly a scam unless these types of companies get their acts together.

For anyone reading I am not saying that this product is useless or anything like that, I am just stating that it’s in everyone’s best interest if they (and any other similar products) get FDA approval.
Don't mistake my optimism for stupidity

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 am

megan99
Occasional Poster

Post by megan99 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 am

hi jacob.

how are you ordering the Dermatopoietin now? I went to their new online order website and the 1-4 serum was about 45fr. and shipping to the US was another 45fr. !!!

Thanks for any info. I am assuming you are from the states?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed May 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello Megan...yep, I'm in the states..and yep, the shipping is that much. Which is why last time I ordered 4..should get me through the summer. Maybe it should have been asked here if anyone was interested in doing a bulk order or something. The product itself may be cheaper depending where you are on their discount thing..I forget how it works..depends upon how much you've ordered in the past..I think..? Although the last order I used a 22% off coupon via an email/newsletter of theirs. If you've ordered from them before you should be getting emails from them which include such discounts.

They now have a shampoo out as well: http://www.swiss-cosmeceuticals.com/hai ... ampoo.html I may ask for the ingreds list..so if you have any questions you'd like me to throw their way...

megan99
Occasional Poster

Post by megan99 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Thanks Jacob.

Well that is just crazy. I order from overseas all the time and many times am charged $5 dollars(DHL). Too bad, I just don't feel right spending that for shipping with today's inexpensive global shipping rates. That must be hurting then business quite a bit in the US or eliminating it all together.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu May 05, 2011 8:07 pm

$5? Most places in the US don't ship to the US for $5 :lol:

But yeah..it is high. I think I asked about it before but I forget the reason they gave. That might have been when(and why) they first started giving the discount codes :!: I'll see if there's any other way they can ship to lower the cost..would like to know what's in the shampoo anyway.

Swoosh
Regular Poster

Post by Swoosh » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Anyone still using this? Good results?

Is it okay to derma roll with this product? Any ideas how I can I fit in Phytolium 4 and DH Meso with this product (1-4)?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Still using it..along with other things ;)

I don't think it pays to dermaroll with it..since they actually kind of brag that it doesn't absorb. Maybe they really mean it doesn't get absorbed into the bloodstream..but they seem to be saying it doesn't have to actually absorb to do it's job.

DH Meso would be the trickiest to work around. I would probably contact both companies to see what they say.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:16 pm

Got this in response to some abstracts(some may have been posted here) posted in another forum that were "anti-hair".

DP is the complex of two peptides: IL-1 alpha and Hexadeltine. Both peptides do not penetrate skin upon topical use. The mode of DP action is stimulation of release of own Interleukin-1 alpha from outermost layer of living keratinocytes upon contacting with DP. The role of Hexadeltine is tight control of the release.

DP does not induce erythema and inflammation in skin upon topical use as compared to intradermal injections of IL-1 alpha.

In clinical studies, DP decreased hair shedding for 25% for period of three months significantly as compared to Placebo, when was used two times for four days.

Thus, DP is not a pure IL-1 alpha, but specially designed product that contains other component that control IL-1 alpha action.

Some facts about Interleukin-1 alpha [22] (article is attached):

IL-1 alpha is an epidermal cytokine that is produced by a human skin epidermis constitutively and in substantial amounts. Young skin produces more IL-1 alpha than aged. On a calculation basis, stratum corneum contains about 6000 ng/g of IL-1 alpha (WHO standard grade), since about 6x105 IU activity per gram of stratum corneum was found in the specific LAF test. All IL-1 activity in skin in norm is IL-1 alpha activity. For the reference, normal blood level of IL-1 alpha is about 2 pg/ml. So, IL-1 alpha is almost exclusively produced by skin keratinocytes and represents isolated from other body pool.

Growing evidence suggests that it plays an essential role in normal skin development and the opinion that IL-1 alpha is simply "pro-inflammatory" cytokine does not conform to current state of knowledge.

IL-1 alpha is involved in epidermis growth through epithelial-mesenchimal interactions, regulation of skin barrier function (lipid biosynthesis), and regulation of synthesis of extracellular matrix components in dermis.

IL-1 alpha is involved in collagen synthesis and degradation depending on doses. Low dose of IL-1 alpha stimulates production of collagen and inhibits collagen breakdown, whereas high dose stimulates both collagen synthesis and breakdown. DP is one of the most potent activator of new collagen synthesis in aged skin.

For the reference, IL-1 beta is inducible isoform that is produced by mesenchimal cells upon stimulation and has 26% identity with IL-1 alpha. Effects of IL-1 alpha and beta in skin are different. For example, IL-1 beta stimulates collagen breakdown in all range of its doses. Although general opinion is that IL-1alpha and beta effects are indistinguishable, growing evidence does not support it.

Summary of effects of Interleukin-1 alpha on hair biology:

Data about effects of IL-1 alpha on hair biology are controversial. Data from public domain related to the role of IL-1 alpha in hair biology is summarized below.

In vitro data:

Hair follicle culture. IL-1 alpha has been shown to inhibit human hair follicle growth, the primary effect being inhibition of matrix keratinocyte proliferation. In second article of these authors, they concluded that IL-1 alpha has no direct effect on hair fiber growth and the inhibitory effect of IL-1 alpha on hair fiber growth is explained by inhibition of proliferation of cells in epithelial matrix: "the depletion of the pool of differentiated follicular keratinocytes capable of elaborating hair fibre" [1, 2].

Hair follicle culture. IL-1 beta has been shown to inhibit human hair follicle growth, and this effect is mediated by cyclic AMP [3].

Follicular papilla cells. Upon stimulation with IL-1 alpha, follicular papilla cells have been shown to stimulate expression of set of factors vital for hair growth, e.g. keratinocyte growth factors (KGF), granulocyte-macrophage stimulating factor (GM-CSF), and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) [4]. So, these effects provides evidence that IL-1 alpha is strong stimulator of hair growth

KGF is the activator of follicular keratinocyte proliferation, mediator of hair follicle growth, development and differentiation; inductor of extensive hair growth at site of injection in animal models of alopecia [5].

KGF protects hair follicles from death induced by UV, cytotoxic agents, and chemotherapy [6].

VEGF is responsible for maintaining proper vasculature around the hair follicle during the anagen growth phase [7, 8]. Minoxidil up-regulates the VEGF expression [9].

Follicular papilla cells. Upon stimulation with IL-1 alpha, follicular papilla cells have been shown to stimulate expression of protease nexin-1 (PN1), the reliable marker of anagen phase [4]. So, IL-1 alpha is pro-anagen factor.

PN1 is an inhibitor of serine proteases (e.g. thrombin, urokinase, and tPA). PN1 is accumulated in the anagen follicular cells and the reliable marker of anagen phase [10].

Level of PN1 is down-regulated by androgens [11].

PN1 was found only in anagen follicle and not the catagen phase [12].

Follicular papilla cells. Upon stimulation with IL-1 alpha, follicular papilla cells have been shown to inhibit expression of androgen receptors stimulated by dehydrotestosterone (DHT) [4].

Androgen receptors pathologically elevated under androgenetic alopecia [13].

Follicular papilla cells. Upon stimulation with IL-1 alpha, follicular papilla cells have been shown to stimulate expression of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) [14].

HGF stimulates hair length and DNA synthesis in hair follicles, stimulates DNA synthesis in hair bulb-derived keratinocytes [14].

Summary: It could be summarized that IL-1 alpha stimulates hair growth through epithelial-mesenchimal interactions. In vitro, IL-1 directly inhibits proliferation of matrix keratinocytes and this effect is mediated by cAMP. IL-1 alpha does not inhibit hair fiber growth. At same concentrations, IL-1 alpha activates proliferation of matrix keratinocytes through expression of growth factors KGF and HGF in dermal papilla cells. IL-1 alpha stimulates production of other growth factors critical for hair growth (KGF, HGF, GM-CSF, and VEGF). The growth factors are required for keratinocyte proliferation, hair follicle development and differentiation, inducing extensive hair growth, hair elongation, maintaining proper vasculature around the hair follicle during the anagen growth phase. IL-1 alpha stimulates expression of PN1, the marker of anagen follicles and inhibitor of proteases. IL-1 alpha suppress androgen receptor expression on follicular papilla cells, the clear anti-androgenetic alopecia effect. These data suggest that IL-1 alpha effects on ollicular papilla cells are critical for maintaining anagen phase of hair cycle. Taken into consideration the fact that IL-1 alpha is constitutively produced by keratinocytes in substantial amounts, and this production coexists with hair growth, these data suggest that IL-1 alpha is involved in hair cycle regulation in norm.

In vivo animal data:

Rats. Injections of recombinant human IL-1 beta protected newborn rats against 1-beta-D-Arabinofuranosylcytosine-induced alopecia [15-17].

Rats. In animal model of alopecia areata, Dundee experimental balding rats, 0.1% topical anthralin treatment is 100% effective in restoring follicular activity. The successful treatment was accompanied with stimulation of interleukin-1 alpha/beta production [18].

Mice. The immunomodulator AS101 significantly prevented chemotherapy-induced alopecia. The protection was mediated at least in part by IL-1 activity, since antagonist to interleukin-1 receptor (IL-1RA) largely abrogated the effect of AS101 [19].

Transgenic mice. Transgenic mice overexpressing IL-1 alpha in basal keratinocytes show patchy hair loss [20].

Summary: IL-1 alpha itself or IL-1 alpha inducing agents have been shown to prevent chemotherapy-induced alopecia and alopecia areata animal models. It should be emphasized that these agents did not induce hair loss in abovementioned experiments. Only exclusion is transgenic mice constantly overexpressing IL-1 alpha in skin, the animal model far from reality.

Human data:

Humans. Phase-I and phase-II clinical studies in cancer patients with chemotherapy demonstrated that AS101 reduced severity of alopecia. Evidence was presented that AS101 effects mediated by IL-1 activity and there was inverse correlation between the grade of alopecia and the increase in IL-1 alpha. Authors speculated that the anti-alopecia effect of AS101 may be related directly to IL-1 alpha production or, indirectly to IL-1 alpha-induced PGE2 or KGF [19].

Humans. No elevated levels of IL-1 alpha were found in patients with alopecia areata (AA) as compared to control. So, the link between AA pathogenesis and IL-1 alpha is in doubt [21].

Humans. IL-1 alpha is an epithelial/epidermal cytokine that is constitutively produced by epithelial cells in substantial amounts (for the review see [22]). IL-1 alpha is found in normal human epidermis 50:50 in stratum corneum and living cells. On a calculation basis, stratum corneum contains about 6000 ng/g of IL-1 alpha (WHO standard grade), since about 6x105 IU activity per gram of stratum corneum was found in the specific LAF test. All IL-1 activity in skin in norm is IL-1 alpha activity. For the reference, blood serum level of IL-1 alpha in norm is about 2 pg/ml. So, IL-1 alpha is almost exclusively produced by skin keratinocytes and represents isolated from other body pool.

Simultaneous coexisting of substantial amounts of IL-1 alpha in normal skin and hairs in growth phase is reality and does not support idea that IL-1 alpha is hair growth inhibiting agent in vivo.

References

1. Harmon CS, Nevins TD. IL-1 alpha inhibits human hair follicle growth and hair fiber production in whole-organ cultures. Lymphokine Cytokine Res. 1993 Aug; 12(4):197-203.

2. Harmon CS, Nevins TD. Evidence that activation of protein kinase A inhibits human hair follicle growth and hair fibre production in organ culture and DNA synthesis in human and mouse hair follicle organ culture. Br J Dermatol. 1997 Jun;136(6):853-8.

3. Hoffmann R, Eicheler W, Wenzel E, Happle R. Interleukin-1beta-induced inhibition of hair growth in vitro is mediated by cyclic AMP. J Invest Dermatol. 1997 Jan;108(1):40-2.

4. Boivin WA, Jiang H, Utting OB, Hunt DW. Influence of interleukin-1alpha on androgen receptor expression and cytokine secretion by cultured human dermal papilla cells. Exp Dermatol. 2006 Oct;15(10):784-93.

5. Danilenko DM, Ring BD, Yanagihara D, Benson W, Wiemann B, Starnes CO, Pierce GF. Keratinocyte growth factor is an important endogenous mediator of hair follicle growth, development, and differentiation. Normalization of the nu/nu follicular differentiation defect and amelioration of chemotherapy-induced alopecia. Am J Pathol. 1995 Jul;147(1):145-54.

6. Braun S, Krampert M, Bodó E, Kümin A, Born-Berclaz C, Paus R, Werner S. Keratinocyte growth factor protects epidermis and hair follicles from cell death induced by UV irradiation, chemotherapeutic or cytotoxic agents. J Cell Sci. 2006 Dec 1;119(Pt 23):4841-9. Epub 2006 Nov 7.

7. Kozlowska U, Blume-Peytavi U, Kodelja V, Sommer C, Goerdt S, Majewski S, Jablonska S, Orfanos CE. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in various compartments of the human hair follicle. Arch Dermatol Res. 1998 Dec;290(12):661-8.

8. Yano K, Brown LF, Detmar M. Control of hair growth and follicle size by VEGF-mediated angiogenesis. J Clin Invest. 2001 Feb;107(4):409-17.

9. Lachgar S, Charveron M, Gall Y, Bonafe JL. Minoxidil upregulates the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor in human hair dermal papilla cells. Br J Dermatol. 1998 Mar;138(3):407-11.

10. Yu DW, Yang T, Sonoda T, Gaffney K, Jensen PJ, Dooley T, Ledbetter S, Freedberg IM, Lavker R, Sun TT. Message of nexin 1, a serine protease inhibitor, is accumulated in the follicular papilla during anagen of the hair cycle. J Cell Sci. 1995 Dec;108 ( Pt 12):3867-74.

11. Sonoda T, Asada Y, Kurata S, Takayasu S. The mRNA for protease nexin-1 is expressed in human dermal papilla cells and its level is affected by androgen. J Invest Dermatol. 1999 Sep;113(3):308-13.

12. Jensen PJ, Yang T, Yu DW, Baker MS, Risse B, Sun TT, Lavker RM. Serpins in the human hair follicle. J Invest Dermatol. 2000 May;114(5):917-22.

13. Trüeb RM. Molecular mechanisms of androgenetic alopecia. Exp Gerontol. 2002 Aug-Sep;37(8-9):981-90.

14. Shimaoka S, Tsuboi R, Jindo T, Imai R, Takamori K, Rubin JS, Ogawa H. Hepatocyte growth factor/scatter factor expressed in follicular papilla cells stimulates human hair growth in vitro. J Cell Physiol. 1995 Nov;165(2):333-8.

15. Hussein AM. Interleukin 1 protects against 1-beta-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine-induced alopecia in the newborn rat animal model. Cancer Res. 1991 Jun 15;51(12):3329-30.

16. Hussein AM, Jimenez JJ, McCall CA, Yunis AA. Protection from chemotherapy-induced alopecia in a rat model. Science. 1990 Sep 28;249(4976):1564-6.

17. JJ Jimenez, GH Wong, and AA Yunis. Interleukin 1 protects from cytosine arabinoside-induced alopecia in the rat model. FASEB J. 1991 5: 2456-2458.

18. Tang L, Cao L, Pelech S, Lui H, Shapiro J. Cytokines and signal transduction pathways mediated by anthralin in alopecia areata-affected Dundee experimental balding rats. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2003 Jun;8(1):87-90.

19. Sredni B, Xu RH, Albeck M, Gafter U, Gal R, Shani A, Tichler T, Shapira J, Bruderman I, Catane R, Kaufman B, Whisnant JK, Mettinger KL, Kalechman Y. The protective role of the immunomodulator AS101 against chemotherapy-induced alopecia studies on human and animal models. Int J Cancer. 1996 Jan 3;65(1):97-103.

20. Groves RW, Williams IR, Sakar S, Nakamura K, Kupper TS, Analysis of epidermal IL-1 family members in vivo using transgenic mouse models. Abstracts for the 1994 Annual Meeting of the Society for Investigative Dermatology. Journal of Investigative Dermatology (1994) 102: 556.

21. Barahmani N, Lopez A, Babu D, Hernandez M, Donely SE, Duvic M. Serum T helper 1 cytokine levels are greater in patients with alopecia areata regardless of severity or atopy. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2009 Oct 23.

22. Pomytkin I. Interleukin-1 alpha, an epidermal cytokine critical for skin renewal. SOWF-Journal, 135, 8-2009, 2-6.

Swoosh
Regular Poster

Post by Swoosh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:09 pm

I noticed that both the 1-4 and 5-14 product contain hydrogenated castor oil. Aside from the fact that these sorts of oils are usually extracted with some pretty nasty solvents, should I be concerned about absorbing a hydrogenated oil? I avoid these oils at all costs when I eat ...

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:41 pm

I don't have a bottle handy but the first list here of the 1-4 doesn't contain it...or did I miss it :? Maybe the newer ones do. But either way...it's possible they'd take things out if enough ppl contacted them. They did change the 5-14 product after ppl complained.

Here's info on hydro-castor http://www.thesmartmama.com/understandi ... enwashing/