Cardiovascular Exercise / Testosterone

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

perga
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Cardiovascular Exercise / Testosterone

Post by perga » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:58 am

I have looked into this and based on a bunch of info off of body building websites, cardio significantly lowers testosterone if you do it consistently for extended periods of time.

They argued that cardio might not be good for your heart as a result of this... since I guess testosterone has been linked to healthy hearts in men?

My question for all of you is... what are the long term health effects of lowered testosterone in men? I would really like to start doing some cardio, but I hate all this hormonal wackiness I have forced on myself of late (I am trying to ween myself off propecia btw).

powersam
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: minox, dut, nizoral lotion and liberal servings of Australian Shiraz

Re: Cardiovascular Exercise / Testosterone

Post by powersam » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Aren't dht levels directly proportional to the amount of the 5ar2 enzyme available rather than testosterone levels?

hulihoop
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hulihoop » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:42 am

Perga,

Do your cardio. Any decrease in testosterone level is minimal and temporary. Similarly the increase in testosterone from weight training is slight and temporary. It should very little to no effect on MPB. It can have a huge beneficial impact on your general health. Make sure to eat a healthy diet and start training.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:19 am

I think I read somewhere that you would need to run at your peak intensity for at least 20 minutes every day to even see a real measurable impact on your T levels. I certainly wouldn't worry about it.