Da Dermaroller thread- options 'n prices

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Da Dermaroller thread- options 'n prices

Post by Jacob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:30 am

Let's get a list going of all the derma-roller type products out there. Best prices on the ones you think would be best. Photos of blood dripping down your face. Ah..forget the latter one there(I never had any bloody experiences with the one I used a few years ago).

First..here's Lipoxidil's info page on the dermarolller: http://www.lipoxidil.com/site/derma.php

I think this is the one that is supposed to last a long time..and I would hope so considering the cost: http://dermalintegrity.editnew.com/temp ... ?pageid=28

With that Hair Matrix topical: http://www.hairreturn.com/technology.html
And I don't want to get off topic here about this topical..but will post the ingreds so we get that out of the way.
De-ionized Water, Algae Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Margosa, Hydrolysate of Milk Protein, Solanum Tuberosum Extract, Silanediol Salicylate, Butylene Glycol, Triethanolamine, Sulphured Amino Acid, Sulfomucopolysaccharide Extract, Celastrus Paniculata Extract, Colloidal Sulphur, Spondios Amara Extract, Rubus Bramble Berries, Trichomonus Japonicum Maxim, Chinese Wormwood Extract, Homotaurine, Maiden Hair Fern Extract, Henna Extract, Barosma Betulina, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Polypeptide (Leucine, Proline, Lysine, Glutamine, Aspartic Acid, Metionin, Alanine).
Bunch of cheaper ones: http://www.dermarollers.us/

The "stamp" may actually be better for hairy areas...Hmmmmm.. http://www.dermarollers.com/hair.html Here's more on the "stamp" http://www.dermarollers.com/stamp.html Wish it came in other needle lengths.

Good info page: http://www.dermaroller.de/en/welcome-to ... oller.html

mrw
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: 5% minox, spiro lotion, AG Hair Complex (starting 3/29/09)

Re: Da Dermaroller thread- options 'n prices

Post by mrw » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:40 am

I bought the one here off of ebay. It came from australia. Quality is good and it is still as sharp as the day I got it 8 months ago.

http://stores.ebay.com/Clearskincare-ac ... -hair-loss

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:41 am

The dermastamp is looking like a better idea to me...for those with hair. Having it a little longer and curved/bowlshaped makes even more sense to me. You would "roll" it back and forth..w/out worrying about getting your hair tangled up in it. Unless there's a problem of it not making straight up and down holes that way..but I don't think that is what's needed... :?:

chore boy
Prolific Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by chore boy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 am

Not sure which one I have but it comes with a threaded plastic cup-type container that your screw closed. Pretty sure I got it off eBay and believe it to be .75mm. I'll look into it later as I'm fixin' to head to a BBQ. God, I love BBQs... maybe it's the white trash in me... hahah

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:09 pm

I must not have enough white trash in me. There's snow on the ground, again, and I'm not in much of a mood for Q'n.

hulihoop
Prolific Poster

Post by hulihoop » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:53 pm

hey Chore Boy and Jacob,
What length needle do you recommend if I am going to use a dermaroller with AGHC?
Thanks.

mrw
Regular Poster

Post by mrw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:05 am

hulihoop wrote:hey Chore Boy and Jacob,
What length needle do you recommend if I am going to use a dermaroller with AGHC?
Thanks.
Hulihoop,

I hope you dont mind me jumping in, but I did a good amount of research before I bought a roller. You will see many vendors selling .5 length for hairloss. Based on what I have read .5 is not long enough to really penetrate the scalp deep enough to signal WNT and begin the healing process. I found that .75 was the minimum length that will produce a result and 1.0 was even more recommended by peers in the hairloss community. For example, Dr. Greco, who is mentioned in the PRP thread uses a 1.0 roller to wound before injecting the PRP and he mentions the sole purpose for that is WNT signaling and wound healing. I will be buying a new 1.0 soon, but if you are a beginner I might recommend the .75 first (if you can find one) as it takes a bit to get used to. The 1.0 at the get go may be pretty painful.

astro_boy
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: Experimenting like Crazy

Post by astro_boy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Anyone see results with a roller? Some of the pages say it makes scalp possibly flake? I haven't really heard a lot of testimonial on them.

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:57 pm

I wonder if wounding helps with scalp inflammation.

Anybody know or have experiences with this?

mrw
Regular Poster

Post by mrw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 pm

James-

I have used a roller and it has helped tremendously with my inflammation. I dont get that burning itch that I used to anymore. I had noticeable improvement in 1 month using a .75mm length roller every night for 2-3 minutes. I just bought a new 1.0 roller as I have come to understand it may increase WNT signaling. A couple of other things that helped were:

Nizoral every other day
Jason Tea tree oil shampoo when I didnt use Nizoral
stopped using any shampoos with sodium laureth sulfates
switching to rogain without propylene glycol

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:05 pm

To any dermaroller experts here; do you think 1.5mm is too much and could possibly cause more damage than good? I see a couple dermarollers being sold in my area but they seem to be 1.5mm to 2mm in length.

mrw
Regular Poster

Post by mrw » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:55 pm

astro_boy wrote:To any dermaroller experts here; do you think 1.5mm is too much and could possibly cause more damage than good? I see a couple dermarollers being sold in my area but they seem to be 1.5mm to 2mm in length.
yes, from everything I have read 1.5 would be too long and may cause some damage to deep tissue. For other parts of the body it is fine but for the scalp I wouldnt go longer than 1.0. Other opinions may vary, but I had a dermatologist tell me no more than 1.0 for the scalp. hope that helps.

astro_boy
Prolific Poster

Post by astro_boy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks mrw big help and glad I didn't go for the larger one. Much more comfortable starting with 0.75mm. Too bad I'll have to wait for shipping though. Boo.

kamui
Seasoned Poster

Post by kamui » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi,

I just got my dermaroller today but how do I know it is working? I used it and it made my scalp red, no blood, is this right?

Thx! :P

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon May 18, 2009 9:18 am

Saw this post on keeping your 'roller clean and safe at a dermaroller forum:
Though your roller technically arrives sterilized, you really ought to rinse it with a anti-bacterial/sterilization solution before you roll your face for the first time, and especially AFTER each rolling session (rather than using water alone). As a general practice, I recommend a 20 minute soak in Hydrogen Peroxide followed by a good rinse under hot running water for a fast and cost-effective method of cleaning your roller before your first roll (then repeat this again after you've finished).

For those who are prepping their faces with topicals (actives and/or serums) BEFORE or DURING a rolling session, another effective method of sterilizing your roller from the debris that will collect on the needles is to use *Denture Tablets*. Denture tablets are not only anti-bacterial agents, they are enzyme cleansers which means they can break down skincare serums & creams as well as fatty deposits that attach to the needles from your skin cells. Simply add one tablet to a half cup of warm water and soak the roller head for 20-30 minutes, then rinse well under running water before air drying. www.dermroller.com/mts-protocols.html

A soft toothbrush is also very useful for gently removing any remaining debris on the needles, however, this may not be necessary at all after a good soak with a denture tablet.

Denture tablets are not only very effective, they are also much cheaper compared to other enzyme cleansers being sold specifically for dermarollers. Here is a product that initially caught my eye before I discovered that denture tablets will do the exact same thing - http://www.oniskai.com/shop/product_inf ... 96f7928c4a

Thanks to Readers Digest I've discovered that Denture Tablets have many other extraordinary uses; check out this link for more interesting tips. Smile http://www.rd.com/tools-and-quizzes/ext ... e23830.htm

hopeful19
Regular Poster

Post by hopeful19 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:25 pm

mrw wrote:James-

I have used a roller and it has helped tremendously with my inflammation. I dont get that burning itch that I used to anymore. I had noticeable improvement in 1 month using a .75mm length roller every night for 2-3 minutes. I just bought a new 1.0 roller as I have come to understand it may increase WNT signaling. A couple of other things that helped were:

Nizoral every other day
Jason Tea tree oil shampoo when I didnt use Nizoral
stopped using any shampoos with sodium laureth sulfates
switching to rogain without propylene glycol
With the 1.0 mm roller, does any bleeding occur.
Also how often do you use it.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Bumping this up for the suggested cleaning instructions above.

You may want to go easy on the denture tablets..after reading this thread: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/vi ... start=2325

BUT..it looks like some were leaving theirs in too long though..some may have been using cheap ones..etc. Others had no problems. If I use them it'll probably be once a month or something. Will mainly use Hydrogen Peroxide and/or alcohol.

kamui2
Seasoned Poster

Post by kamui2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:10 pm

I just rinse mine with h2O2 and alcohol before and after. I hope that is good enough?? :)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:13 pm

It should be..with something like Stem C'rum. I think with some of the other products there may be some buildup over time so the denture tablets may be needed.

Joey Ramone
Prolific Poster

Post by Joey Ramone » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:44 am

As a 2 cents addition to the thread, Dr Yechiel recommends against using any kind of dermaroller on the scalp.

kamui2
Seasoned Poster

Post by kamui2 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:56 am

Why Joey?? WHY??

Joey Ramone
Prolific Poster

Post by Joey Ramone » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:36 pm

In his words:

"Don’t use any mechanical means to puncture your skin because you will get infections, you will get scars, and you will get active ingredients into your blood stream. It is true that mild and controlled mechanical damage at tiny areas can sometimes jump-start some growth but more often it will cause damage. Until practice is more refined and there is more understanding on how to minimize damage and maximize benefits stay away from that."

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I remember asking him a question about that..but it was during the "wounding" discussions. These dermarollers(at least the one I used and am now using) do not "puncture" all the way.

There's plenty of evidence out there how these devices can help. I remember coming across a dermaroller vs laser comparison as well.

Joey Ramone
Prolific Poster

Post by Joey Ramone » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:10 am

There's a massive thread on it over at HLT which I've stopped visiting now because all they try to do is lump propecia down your throat. The general consensus over there was that you would need .75mm to 1mm to have any benefit from it. The guy who claimed the most success was using 1mm from memory.

It's hard to know with this one, you're really using yourself as the guinea pig so it's probably better to start around .2mm and work your way up. Though, I do have a 1mm dermaroller sitting in the cupboard still.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:18 pm

I did find some places that sell the replacement heads(for the vibrating one) in 1.00mm and 1.50mm http://www.2beautyex.com/DTS-Skinroller-Standard.html

I guess the company itself sells them as well: http://hansderma.net/ProfessionalStore.html

It's tempting..since I now know how the device works. Those prices though :(

Edit..I did find a cheaper source..but not sure if just anyone can order them. Will find out..

intricate1
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: A&G hair complex rogain nizoral

Post by intricate1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:55 am

I just got my .2 today and it kinda hurts when I use it and makes me sneeze. Also got a slight headach and I don't know if it's from that. I use the regular hair serum from dermaheal not the crum with it. I think it helps with the obsorption but i will stick with this for a while. How long does a good quality dermaroller lasts if used every night?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Are you using the vibrating one?

Here's what one says about how long it should last:
Q. How long does the dermaroller last?
A. Our skin roller is very high quality so with care of the roller, and with continual use, it will last 6-8 months - the needles don't wear out as such as they are medical grade stainless steel, but with continual use they will eventually become blunt just as an expensive razor would.
http://www.dermarollers.com/qa.html

A more detailed page on it: http://www.dermaroller-planet.com/how-l ... llers-last

My previous one lasted well over a year(from Lipoxidil)..but I used it maybe 2-3 times a week at the most.

On the cheaper source of the vibrating replacement heads..the minimum is 5 heads..so forget that idea.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 pm

Another site for the regular dermarollers. The Dr. Roller mentioned as the best in the previous link can also be found here. http://www.ultramodshop.com/categories/Derma-Rollers/

j872
Regular Poster

Post by j872 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Just got my 1.0 microneedle roller from ebay. It was only $15 shipped, but it seems to work ok. I'm not sure how hard I should be pressing it into my scalp, until blood is drawn? I went over it pretty good until the area was red, it didn't hurt, was very tolerable. The main thing I'm hoping to do is change the texture of my scalp. I have developed a very shiny scalp (due to fibrosis I guess), and nothing takes the shine away. I read a post a while back where someone said after rolling it the whole texture of their scalp changed. Will give update in the future!

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:11 am

My favorite anti-fibrosis product is NanoFibrin. Of course I haven't really tried anything else made just for that..that I can recall.

Looking forward to the updates. I was thinking of getting maybe a .50 or .75 to use with the Stem C'rum..but I think I'll use that money to get the DermaHeal instead....

kaicik

Post by kaicik » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:48 am

There's actually another even better priced source for the previously mentioned Dr.Roller dermarollers - check http://www.dr-roller.eu also.

intricate1
Prolific Poster
Treatment Regimen: A&G hair complex rogain nizoral

Post by intricate1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:10 pm

Jacob wrote:My favorite anti-fibrosis product is NanoFibrin. Of course I haven't really tried anything else made just for that..that I can recall.

Looking forward to the updates. I was thinking of getting maybe a .50 or .75 to use with the Stem C'rum..but I think I'll use that money to get the DermaHeal instead....
Jacob are u seeing new vellous hairs from the stem crum that u didn't see before

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:28 am

Yes, quite a few. I wish they'd go somewhere though..maybe I should have been using the Dermaheal as well. Or FNS..which I still may do....