PRP injections: Apparently the real deal.

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

Trichotillmania
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: PRP injections: Apparently the real deal.

Post by Trichotillmania » Tue May 26, 2009 5:04 pm

Cool, nice job hullihoop. You just had yours today, good luck on it. I just kinda found out bout this, it sounds interesting. I would think it had to cause some sort of shed, I mean you got people afraid to sleep wrong side of they head or scratch to hard lol.

How much did you pay for your procedure?

hulihoop
Prolific Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II

Post by hulihoop » Tue May 26, 2009 5:34 pm

Tricho,

I went in yesterday for mine and just over 36 hours later my head is still a little swollen where i had the treatment. Maybe that is what is keeping the hairs in nice and tight but they feel like they are nicely in there. I can really yank on them and they feel firmly rooted. We'll see in the next day or two as I get further away from the treatment and my scalp returns to normal.

FYI, here is what I asked Dr. Greco and his replies:
1. Am I correct in understanding from Dr. Jones that PRP performed on a yearly basis could help thicken my hair and maintain the hair I have? It should help maintain your existing hair. At 26 yrs old it could thicken hair.

2. Is it appropriate to perform the treatment on a scalp that has some redness and itch? No problem actually infusing high concentrations of protein and growth factors would be helpful for the scalp. Will the treatment still be effective? Yes, it may help with those symptoms.

3. In your experience, do patients with androgenic alopecia typically undergo a shed at all during or after treatment? Not at all.

4. After speaking with Dr. Jones last week my initial intention was to wait till after a conference he is attending in July then speak to him again to decide whether or not to proceed with this treatment. By that time he would have more insight into the treatment he has recently performed on himself. However since I cannot take an oral FDA approved DHT blocker and time is, in a sense, hair for someone suffering from MPB I am now thinking if my understanding of the treatment is correct maybe I should just do it now to try to halt further miniaturization in its tracks and start thickening the hair I have left. There is no down side on doing it now. Dr Jones is in his 50's so he could expect to maintain his existing hair.

Trichotillmania
Regular Poster

Post by Trichotillmania » Wed May 27, 2009 3:10 pm

These is a question I haven't got a answer for, How much is it, does he quote everyone a different price or something?

Trichotillmania
Regular Poster

Post by Trichotillmania » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm

So ....how is everyone who used this doing? Im interested to know

Refuse2GoBald
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes
Treatment Regimen: Avodart 3-4 times a week.

Post by Refuse2GoBald » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:37 pm

I had the procedure performed on May 15. I don't notice a difference yet but I'd say its way too early for me to properly gauge it. I should have an idea in three more months from now. Anybody else care to share whether or not this has worked for them?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:05 am

Did anyone ever get a decent response to why the hair color is different etc in the before/after pictures? I had no desire to try this out after seeing those pictures and getting the response I did from him on that. And now it sounds like it's more for maintenance anyway. I'd have the same reaction had A&G had this or even the info they(A&G) now have on their website.

Not to mention the Doc didn't want to answer questions here..and yet I see he's now on another forum =;

Refuse2GoBald
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes
Treatment Regimen: Avodart 3-4 times a week.

Post by Refuse2GoBald » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:06 pm

Regarding the pictures, the ones posted on Dr Greco's blog and in the international journal did look different than the pictures that I saw when I was in his office. The ones in his office do show 2 pictures of the same individual, 1 before the PRP treatment and one 4 months after the PRP treatment. His hair color is the same in both. His hair definitely looks better in the after photo. I believe the upload of the photos were just bad unfortunately. I was very impressed with the improvement that I saw for the particular individual.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Why not just upload them again then? I've never seen or heard of the reason for color changes in hair was due to the upload :-s

powersam
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: minox, dut, nizoral lotion and liberal servings of Australian Shiraz

Post by powersam » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:05 pm

OK so chrome and chore boy had the treatment awhile back now, how are things going guys?

updates !!! \:D/

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:48 pm

SW2 wrote:Hey Guys,

I just got off the phone with Dr.Choi, and he definitely sounds like an honest guy. Why i say this is simple - he recommends finding local doctors to perform the treatment rather than travelling to Vancouver to see him and profiting from the procedure himself. This is very very important to me, and i think of great value in anyone who's offering to help with regrowth.

Few things to note with the procedure is the recommendation to use DHT blockers like fin and dut... something i've used in the past but simply am trying to steer away from getting back on. Secondly is the success rate. Dr. Choi's PRP experience in his clinic is about 60% good and the rest have not responded at all. Results are notable in only 6 weeks, which is really fast, something i am excited about! just like AG, most of us will be able to say yes it worked or no it didn't fairly quickly which is great. I wish there was more info i could spit out, but it comes down to actually trying out the procedure and testifying if it works on a personal basis to be of any value. Cost per treatment is about $450-600 CDN / session, with most responding patients requiring 2 or 3 treatments.

Although i am excited to hear about Chore Boy's experience, i am also curious whether or not i will experience the same / better / worse as with any treatment what works for some isn't necessarily an answer for others. I may drive out to Vancouver this weekend to have it performed; depending on time constraints.

CB, can you update as to what Dr.Greco told you regarding success rates, time line, # of treatments required, etc...?

Thanks,

SW2

Im curious to know what kind of shampoo has been recommended after this procedure ie anti inflammation?

Regards
Pete

cloud9
Seasoned Poster

Post by cloud9 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:13 am

powersam wrote:OK so chrome and chore boy had the treatment awhile back now, how are things going guys?

updates !!! \:D/
It most not be working very well for him . He is still tiring other products .