Using Avodart for 2 months, my experiences. Are you using it? What has been your experience?

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Using Avodart for 2 months, my experiences. Are you using it? What has been your experience?

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi all,

I have dealt with my hair loss over the years by using multiple different products, both internals and topicals, with varying results. What I have found is that there are a lot of products that "work" insofar as helping to either prevent or slow further degradation of my existing situation, and even some that have regrowth properties. I also have used the lasercomb from Hairmax for several years now. But for me, after about 15 years+ in the hair loss fight, I eventually resorted to hair restoration surgery with Hasson and Wong. I am now for all intents and purposes somewhere between a Norwood 1 and 2. As far as my frontal hair line and temples go, I basically look like a non-balding person. So obviously for me taking the hair restoration route turned out to be a great decision.

Anyway, now I just want to KEEP my existing hair and thicken them up. I was using Finasteride for a couple of years straight, without topicals. My scalp tends to eventually get sensitive to topicals and this has caused other problems for me, so I have stuck with internals and laser treatment in recent years primarily. Anyway, the Finasteride was not effective enough in my crown area, as the last time I went to see Dr. Wong from Hasson and Wong, he mentioned that my crown was continuing to thin.

So I decided to start Avodart a couple of months ago.

I was worried about side-effects. So far, I haven't had any noticeable ones. Granted I am only using it twice a week, (0.5mg pills), but the fact that I haven't had any of the side-effects that people are mostly worried about with Dutasteride (the active ingredient in Avodart). My scalp is healthier now than it has ever been as far back as I can remember -- no acne, no soreness, no flaking. I think Avodart is playing a part in this. Fingers-crossed.

I'm going to continue using it with the hopes of thickening the crown up a bit more.

I know it's a relatively old topic, but I would like to revive it here as I don't particularly follow the threads in other forums very much. I'd like to open up the discussion on Avodart experiences on this site. If you have used it, either separately or with other products/treatments, I would like to hear from you about your experiences with it in this thread.

Thanks,
Sam

doke
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Norwood Level: Norwood III A
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: trialing scalpure with pantostin

Re: Using Avodart for 2 months, my experiences. Are you using it? What has been your experience?

Post by doke » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 am

i used dutas for hair loss and it works better than any snake oils out there.
Last edited by doke on Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

hairikrishna
Seasoned Poster

Re: Using Avodart for 2 months, my experiences. Are you using it? What has been your experience?

Post by hairikrishna » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:01 am

Hey Sam, just curious if Dr. Wong prescribed the Avodart 0.5 mg for you and what is your out of pocket cost for it assuming you're having to pay for it yourself. I'm considering going this route but it is my last option. Btw, I know this is off the topic but have you had a chance to speak with Dr. Choi who does PRP?

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:44 am

Hi i think that for a good result from dutasteride you may need to take 2.5mg for 6 months or more then to see results you have and then maybe reduce the dose,but it will be quite expensive,i have seen that results maybe seen within two weeks.

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:53 am

now back on dutas as more hair loss without taking 2mg a day its the only thing that works for me.

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:08 am

Taking 2.5 mg of dutasteride is absolutely crazy and EXTREMELY UNHEALTHY in my opinion. I think that you WILL get side effects and will not be able to continue with the drug. Don't forget that this drug is affecting your BRAIN.

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:37 am

hi james that is the optimum dose of dutas for regrowth in the glaxo trials they used from 0.5 to 5 mg a day,and found that the 2.5 is the best dose,and that the side affects in the trial were very low.
You have got to remember that there are people taking lots of natural oral hair lose products that have not been tested for safety,and a hair loss doctor told me that to get equivalent dht blocking you would have to take thousends of mgs of say saw palmetto which will give you side affects and has not been tested.
Remember that they took up to 5mg of dutas with low sides,i myself are on 5 caps a day with no problems i got more with the natural ones i took oraly.

Pete2
Prolific Poster

Post by Pete2 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:13 am

HairLossFight.com wrote:Hi all,

I have dealt with my hair loss over the years by using multiple different products, both internals and topicals, with varying results. What I have found is that there are a lot of products that "work" insofar as helping to either prevent or slow further degradation of my existing situation, and even some that have regrowth properties. I also have used the lasercomb from Hairmax for several years now. But for me, after about 15 years+ in the hair loss fight, I eventually resorted to hair restoration surgery with Hasson and Wong. I am now for all intents and purposes somewhere between a Norwood 1 and 2. As far as my frontal hair line and temples go, I basically look like a non-balding person. So obviously for me taking the hair restoration route turned out to be a great decision.

Anyway, now I just want to KEEP my existing hair and thicken them up. I was using Finasteride for a couple of years straight, without topicals. My scalp tends to eventually get sensitive to topicals and this has caused other problems for me, so I have stuck with internals and laser treatment in recent years primarily. Anyway, the Finasteride was not effective enough in my crown area, as the last time I went to see Dr. Wong from Hasson and Wong, he mentioned that my crown was continuing to thin.

So I decided to start Avodart a couple of months ago.

I was worried about side-effects. So far, I haven't had any noticeable ones. Granted I am only using it twice a week, (0.5mg pills), but the fact that I haven't had any of the side-effects that people are mostly worried about with Dutasteride (the active ingredient in Avodart). My scalp is healthier now than it has ever been as far back as I can remember -- no acne, no soreness, no flaking. I think Avodart is playing a part in this. Fingers-crossed.

I'm going to continue using it with the hopes of thickening the crown up a bit more.

I know it's a relatively old topic, but I would like to revive it here as I don't particularly follow the threads in other forums very much. I'd like to open up the discussion on Avodart experiences on this site. If you have used it, either separately or with other products/treatments, I would like to hear from you about your experiences with it in this thread.

Thanks,
Sam

Have you considered the alternatives to 5ar inhibitors?

Have thought about combining a couple of topicals/shampoos to reduce the sensitivity issues?

Regards
Pete

hairikrishna
Seasoned Poster

Post by hairikrishna » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:22 pm

I'm hoping to try dutasteride down the road. Please let me know if any of you are trying a generic pharmaceutical and where one could get it as cheaply as possible.

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:52 pm

hairikrishna wrote:I'm hoping to try dutasteride down the road. Please let me know if any of you are trying a generic pharmaceutical and where one could get it as cheaply as possible.
hi have you got my reply to your question?

hairikrishna
Seasoned Poster

Post by hairikrishna » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am

yep, thanks Doke.

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:21 pm

Doke,

I don't believe the side effect results from the trials for one second. I guarantee you that they are higher in real life. The drug companies minimize the side effect profiles in every way that they possibly can. Also, they don't know the long term side effects from taking this drug, the drug trials are short. The shorter they are, less side effects arise, they save money, and can start making money as soon as possible. Remember, it is affecting YOUR BRAIN and causes depression in some because of this.

If you are not experiencing side effects at that dosage then you are lucky. I once tried that amount for a short period of time but quickly reduced my dosage back down to .5 as I felt I was being irresponsible with my health and mind. I currently don't even take the stuff and just take finasteride 1mg, which has its own set of problems. I will definitely be off of finasteride at some point as well.

My point is that if you make a statement that says "my hair loss doctors said"....... it means absolutely nothing to me and a lot of people. The majority are simply part of the messed up medical paradigm we currently live in. I am not saying you are stupid or anything, I am just saying that doctors only know what they are told (which is a lot of lies).

I wish you luck with the dutasteride though. I hope you don't get any side effects.

Bombarie
Prolific Poster

Post by Bombarie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi Sam, are you still using the avodart product, and how is this now working for you?
Greets

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:53 am

james the natural oral products people are taking are more of a risk at least there have been trials, and also there were a lot of these scare stories back in the early 90s when people were taking proscar for hair loss.
Ihave had no sides and hair is regrowing, remember that there is always the 0.5mg first which i found did not work as well.
Also remember that even 2.5mg a day is a very small dose,when you see some people taking more than 1000 mgs a day of saw palmetto,which at higher doses has not been tested and i know i had some sides on that product. :-"

TheFunkyStumpfighter
Regular Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Treatment Regimen: Nizoral 2%
200 diode laser helmet mon/wed/fri
Clay mon/wed/fri
5 weeks AGHC (finished 2nd week July 09)

Post by TheFunkyStumpfighter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:05 am

Are you really implying that high dose saw palmetto is somehow less safe than 2.5mg of dutasteride a day? Telling people that super high doses of dutasteride will grow hair is just unethical, you could end up causing real harm to people who believe you.

Am I the only one that noticed that doke came here touting gaunitz lasers after they took over the laser talk over at regrowth, and when the talk over there turned to dutasteride, he came here talking about how insane daily doses are the best to gain regrowth on dutasteride? Doke, did you link that person to the pharmacy that advertises on regrowth or what?
I currently use Propecia and i have a Laser comb, what do you guys suggest to use as a good daily shampoo? This HairGen is not going to grow hair cmon guys. Is Nioxin the best out there?

doke
Prolific Poster

Post by doke » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 am

i get my dutas from united pharmacies uk,also its is not me saying take dutasteride for hair regrowth,the pictures are on hairloss help.
At one time i was scared of taking finasteride,but was on it for 5 years,did grow a bit of hair on it combined with minox,i then got to using 0.5mg of dutas and it did work for about 5 months but not what i wanted to see,then bryan on hairsite had an article about 2.5mg a day for regrowth. Use 2.5mg for say 6 months then reduce the dose to maintain what you have gained if any.
I am not saying to anyone to use dutas as it is not licenced for hair growth yet,and it is your own experiment at the moment.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Pete2,

I have tried a lot of things over the years. For a while I was using a lot of topicals, to the point where I felt it was making the condition of my scalp worse. I generally try to stay away from topicals for this reason.

Bombarie,

I stopped Dut. for about a month, and now I'm using it again. No reason for this other than that I was just lazy... :roll:

hairikrishna
Seasoned Poster

Post by hairikrishna » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:16 am

Hey Sam,

So how long has it been since taking Dutasteride consecutively for now? Are you picking up your script in Vancouver BC or ordering it from online sources like Doke?

tonyk1

Post by tonyk1 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:31 am

I have been using it for six months and i can see my hair if now starting to thicken, it is to expensive to buy in uk , i can help any one if they want to know how to buy !!!

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu May 26, 2016 11:00 pm

It has been years since this thread was started. And it has been years since I used any internal DHT blockers, fin or dut.

I seemed to be maintaining for most of those years, then in the last year my crown and vertex have shed rapidly.

I am currently using Kirkland's minoxidil foam product, and given the rate of my shedding I don't know if it is slowing it down at all. I am much thinner in the crown and vertex than a year ago now.

Interesting anecdote, a relative of mine in his 70's is on dutasteride for his prostate. He wasn't taking it for hair loss, but he was basically 90% bald in the crown and vertex, but over the past 6 months he has grown a lot of hair! His vertex is filling up and he has tons of vellous hairs that look like they are going terminal. So there you go.

Still, I am reluctant to take an internal again. Really trying to be mindful of my health and don't want to take anything that can have systemic effects.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri May 27, 2016 4:04 pm

What are your thoughts on using it topically? I know people have tried that but I'm not recalling what results they got or how long they used it. Many more have used topical fin: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26636418

Using liposome or nanosome-type tech would be awesome with either one..but I don't think they're that easy to obtain even as plain topicals in the US.
Development and characterization of dutasteride bearing liposomal systems for topical use.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21513483

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue May 31, 2016 9:19 pm

If there was a good topical version, I would consider using it yes.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:28 pm

I'm pretty sure some compounding pharmacies would make such a product for you..with a prescription. Topical Fin too..and there's also this which you may be aware of http://polarisresearchlabs.com/nr-11.php That's something even I wouldn't mind trying on certain areas, even though I've stayed away from even plain ole minox. Can't get it in the USA though..unless you want to take a chance having it shipped here from someone overseas.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Victor Hasson MD
March 20, 2015 at 11:58 am

To update : Our topical Finasteride solution that we have been using for the past 2 years has proven to be very effective . It has been used primarily in patients who had been experiencing side effects on the oral drug. These patients have been free of side effects on the topical formulation. This is a good sign that the drug is unlikely to be going systemic via cutaneous permeation.
We are currently performing tests using Franz diffusion cells with the The University of Milan to get more data.
Once we have secured a reliable source for Dutasteride we will start testing topical formulations with this drug as it will likely be more effective.
A new liposomal formulation of topical finasteride is currently available to our European patients. It has been developed in collaboration with Farmacia Parati in Italy. This preparation can be obtained from this company . You will require a physicians prescription for this as the formulation needs to be compounded on a case by case basis (to comply with European and FDA regulations).

Victor Hasson MD

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks for these links Jacob. The Polaris thing looks promising but not being able to get it in the U.S. is a bummer. I may get in touch with H&W about their topical fin though! I didn't know they were doing this. Thanks again for the heads up!