LEDs for Hair Growth? Anybody?

Discuss experimental or alternate treatments and products.

Moderator: moderators

portnoy007
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

LEDs for Hair Growth? Anybody?

Post by portnoy007 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:07 pm

About six months ago I gashed my scalp pretty bad while hiking. On the advice of my doctor I bought an LED product designed to speed injury healing and reduce scarring...not only did it seem to work for that, but I started growing hair all around the injury site on my (almost) Norwood 5 bald head...even the doctor was amazed. After researching it a bit, he said he didn't know why my hair was growing back but that the LEDs couldn't hurt me and were safe to keep using, so I did. Just wondering...has anybody else ever heard of this phenomenon? So far, I have been using the LEDs regularly on my head and have gone from a Norwood 5 to a solid 4 and there's still more hair coming in... I can't be the only one this has happened to can I????

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:55 am

Welcome to the site, and thanks for sharing your interesting experience with us.

Wow, that's a pretty amazing story. Do you have pictures that you could share with us of this regrowth that you have experienced? To go from a Norwood 5 to 4 using just the LED product sounds too good to be true.

What was the LED product that your doctor recommended? I'd like to see if I can find any articles or research on it.

Also, I am intrigued by the fact that you started growing the hair at the site of your injury. It seems to imply that you can target specific areas.

I have heard of an LED product on the market for growing hair, but I haven't seen any real science behind that particular product.

Sam
Last edited by HairLossFight.com on Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

LED question ......

Post by Tricia » Wed Jun 09, 2004 6:15 am

Okay a couple of people have asked already which LED device it is that you used. I'd like to hear the answer to that one.

Also, do you use anything else for your hair loss? :roll:

portnoy007

Post by portnoy007 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:08 pm

Sam
Thanks for responding. The LED I use is hand built by a local guy here in SoCal. Its a bit awkward to use on my head, but it is significantly cheaper (I paid $100) than models being sold on the Internet for pain and healing that run about $500 and up, (the damn things are expensive!). The LED Im using has 40 bulbs or diodes I guess theyre called -running at a wavelength of 880nm. It is powered by a wall wart pushing 12 volts at 500mA. I will send a pic of it as well as of my head as soon as I can get a friend to take one and upload it for me. (Unfortunately, I dont have a digital camera) Ive been searching the web for info about hair growth and LEDs. The closest thing I can find is the Laser Comb. I read that they are in clinical trials with the FDA right now. I also visited a great site called laser world http://www.laser.nu/ There is access to lots of research from this site. Apparently, the biological effects of LED light are more or less the same as the bio effects of low level lasers. And while there is some (scant) research proving that low level lasers do accelerate hair growth in animals and humans, there is nothing in the literature that I can find about growing hair on a nearly bald head, which is whats happening to me. (maybe its time we start a trial of our own???) You said you heard of an LED product on the market for growing hair. Ive done at least a dozen searches on Google for it, but havent been able to come up with anything. Any idea what its called or how to find it? By the way, to answer 'my-username's' question: the past five weeks or so I switched to Nizoral shampoo and started using Minox twice a day to see what would happen and I think, but cant be absolutely sure yet that its actually accelerating the growth of new hair ( especially at the crown of my head), which is surprising to me because I used Minox for almost a year when I first started loosing my hair and it did nothing at all for me. Again, thanks for your interest. Ill keep you posted and try to get some pix to you this weekend.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

LEDs...........

Post by Tricia » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:58 am

I've looked into the LaserComb and from what I can tell, it's not significantly different from a laser pointer. This sounds way too funny, but I purchased a Class IIIa (I think lasercomb is Class IIa) laser pointer that runs at ~680nm...something like that. Anyway, I held that thing next to my scalp and it does kind of make the hairs stand up. I really don't think it will grow hair, but who knows. I really only have a few thin spots right now, so I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

I'm more interested in your guy's device than the LaserComb thing. Keep us posted on your progress. I guess I'll have to start Rogaine....darn it :?

portnoy007

LEDs/laser makes hair stand up

Post by portnoy007 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:07 am

Yes, I noticed that too. Existing hair, especially in areas of loss does tend to 'stand' higher on my head after I use the LEDs. It's almost like the hair gets happy. I call it my 'hair erection'. The effect lasts for about three days- that is, the effect gradually decreases over that time until the hair returns to its limp, getting ready to fall out again state. (By the way. I have tried it on my private parts for this purpose and it doesn't work. Darn it!) From what I've read though, all intense light between 660nm and about 900nm is biologically active- Basically, it stimulates human (and plant) cells to go into overdrive. By constantly exposing my follicular cells to this light the best I can figure is that I've somehow reactivated the still living dormant follicles and am pushing them to grow hair again. Now if somebody could just come up with something big enough and cheap enough we'd really have something.

Tricia
Prolific Poster

LED devices .........

Post by Tricia » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:45 am

Hey that would have been something if it had worked on your privates. Talk about natural male enhancement <<btw, i'm a female...but we all have an interest in natural male enhancement 8) >>

About improvised LED devices, I'm going to see if this laser pointer does any good. I know, I'm insane. But, if it works out, I'll buy about 6 more of them and tape them together if I have to. Probably, the only thing I'll get out of it is a brain tumor :shock:

Don't forget that you posted something about possibly posting pictures of your progress.

Rick

Post by Rick » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:59 am

Interesting. I'm new to this board and appreciate the chance to share ideas. I use the Laser Comb and pretty much have had consistent results. Something that is worth my time and effort is happening to my hair or I would have given it up by now.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:05 pm

Hello Rick and welcome!

How long have you been using the lasercomb and is it the only thing you're using?

Regards,
Sam