No wonder our healthcare system is in such a poor state!

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

wraun
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

No wonder our healthcare system is in such a poor state!

Post by wraun » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:33 am

I got my first bald spot in the summer of 1990. It was only about the size of a dime and I didn't think much of it. It grew back and I got another and it grew back and so on and so on. In 1997, I got my first big bald patch. It was about 1/3 of my hair missing, it was kind of pair shaped and sort of on top of my head but like it was sliding of to one side. It looked really weird! So I went to see a doctor... "I don't know", is what he said. So I went to see another dr.. Same thing. Fast Fwd to 2006 and I finally find out what I have, (alopecia areata) where did I find this out, you ask? From the CTV News... No wonder our healthcare system is in the shambles with doctors just sitting there and saying "I don't know", shouldn't they grab a book and find out? If they don't know and aren't willing to do a little research, they shouldn't be allowed to charge for the visit! Anyway, after the news broadcast, I went to see a dermatoligist and she confirmed that yes I have AA. But that was it, I have found out more about the disease since getting back online recently than I got from her. I am really getting frustrated!
And the meek shall inherit the earth

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: No wonder our healthcare system is in such a poor state!

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:34 pm

wraun that's crazy that you couldn't find a doctor to diagnose your alopecia areata condition much earlier. Have you had much luck in treating it?

James
Seasoned Poster

Post by James » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:03 am

I am sure you have already come upon this, but if you haven't check out the Wikipedia page on AA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata
In cases where there is severe hair loss, there has been limited success treating alopecia areata with clobetasol or fluocinonide, steroid injections or cream. Steroid injections are commonly used in sites where there are small areas of hair loss on the head or especially where eyebrow hair has been lost. Some other medications used are minoxidil, irritants (anthralin or topical coal tar), and topical immunotherapy cyclosporine, each of which are sometimes used in different combinations.
I am sure you already know this information by now, but just in case I posted it.

joshmathews

Post by joshmathews » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi warun...

It might be tough for you to go through that rough period. I completely agree with you about our health care system.

But now a day a lot is changing. You can have hair transplant.