Here we go again

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Here we go again

Post by molecularblonde » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Hello-
Tomorrow, I have an appointment to see one of the three dermatologists whom I haven't seen since April. At that time my hair loss had leveled off and I was feeling okay with life.

This dermatologist dx'd me with Telogen effluvium and told me that we couldn't do anything but wait for the hair to grow back. For the last montha nd a half my hair has been falling out in what seems like buckets. So I begged her office to give me an emergency appt. I wonder what she will say now? Now that tons of hair is now gone since April. Will she tell me to go on Rogaine? Will she tell me to get off the spironolcatone that the endocrinolgist put me on?

It never ends. I hate this so much! I know I sound like a five year old.

I want pretty thick long straight hair. Good grief, I sound like a five year old. SHAME ON ME.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

An update, if you're interested.......

Post by molecularblonde » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:08 pm

Afters seeing my dermatologist in November last year for TE, my hair loss had stabilized and I last saw her in early April. However, at the end of May, my hair began to fall out again. SO in a panic, I begged for another appointment.

I told my dermatologist that my hair had begun to fall out agian in late May/early June. For this reason, I told her I went to see an endocrinologist on Friday and that he had put me on Spironolactone as well as birth control pills. She didn't disagree with this regimen. On the contrary, she seemed okay with it!!!! But when I gave her zip lock baggies with the hair that I've been saving everyday after I shower she promptly put in the in the garbage!

She told me I need to "focus" on something other than my hair!!! Can you believe that? Well, if it isn't falling out, why should i stop focusing on it????? Although she believed me when I told her it was falling out, she said that I'm making matters worse by worrying about it.

I'd like people to know that i'm not sitting here crying on a daily basis about my hair loss. I;m a molecular biologist at a large comapny. I have a career, and a very demanding one at that. Believe me, this isn't in my head: I'm losing my hair! And I guess my dermatologist is trying to get my mind on something else other than my hair. At one point she laughed at me (well, not at me) but said how beautiful and smart I was. I know i'm attractive, but I told I'm just terrified that I will be bald by x-mas. At this point she told me women don't become bald, but this isn't so. I work with an asian woman who is almost completely bald. My hair is falling out, I kid you not!!!!!

I went to spin class tonight. THe spironolactone makes me light-headed, but I drank a lot of water and did okay. I'm cutting the exercise way down....so maybe things will get better.

If all of this is in my head, then why didn't the dermatologist tell me to stop taking the spironolactone???? Maybe I'm not blad, but at this rate, I'm going to be bald my x-mas. Oh good grief.

Again, thank you James and Sam for listening. One thing the dermatoloists and I agreed upon: many doctors are AWFUL listeners. And by this i"m referring to my husband who won't let me speak about my hair for the next two weeeks. I know he means well. But gosh , it's all in my head bouncing around. I need to get this out!!!!

God bless you both. (I'm actiually agnositic, but I thought blessing oyu was the kindest thing I could say over the ineternet).

Deep breath, BIG SMILE, and positive attitutde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MB

James

Post by James » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:33 pm

It seems to me like you are getting a grip on this situation. Thats really good KC. :)

I agree that you have to let it out somewhere or else you go insane.

It is also a good sign that this derm was ok with your regimen.

These are all good signs.

Remember not to get too crazy with the exercise.

I could see how your husbands request is bothersome, but I am sure that he thinks it is gonna be helpful for you not to talk about it. I always had to refrain from talking about it around me ex but it is sooo hard to do when it is the only thing on your mind and you feel torn up over it.