My story...surgery, exercise bulimia et al.,

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

My story...surgery, exercise bulimia et al.,

Post by molecularblonde » Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:44 pm

Hi-
I'm a research scientist from NJ. Until last year I had a full head of blonde (chemically treated) hair. This is my story:

I've dyed my hair for over eleven years. I've never had a problem with my scalp or the loss of my hair.I could show you photos from last year and I had so much hair it looked like a wig! No female in my family has any hair loss.

I have a "type A" personality. I took up running last year. I was an avid runner, up to 30 miles per week. I was working a lot of late hours, substituting coffee as a meal. I wasn't eating a lot of protein. Basically I wasn't eating all that healthy but I was a good weight, 105 lbs at 62 inches. In the normal range for my frame. But I think the stress of my job got the best of me, and I sort of lapsed into "exercise bulimia". Running, eating poorly, skipping meals. Althought my hair began to look pourous and brittle it was still thick and plentiful. But all that changed.

This is the chain of events that occurred: one day, my hip began to hurt. It was awful pain- really sore. I thougth it was a muscle issue and took Advil and kept running. Turns out I had a stress fracture of my hip. At the same time, I was put on depakote for about two weeks, but it didn't work well for me, so I went back on Wellbutrin. At this point my hair was still fine. Dry and brittle, but fine.

I stopped running to rest my hip, and I went to get my hair dyed and it broke from about my ear lobes down. I mean it just broke like twigs. I cried, but it wasn't falling out from my scalp, so I hoped that it would just grow over time. I was ticked off, but it was a new hair dresser and so I figured he didn't know what he was doing. I was still resting my hip and not exercising.

About two weeks later, during a routine OB/GYN exam, my endometriosis acted up and I was rushed into surgery. They took out my left ovary, a fallopian tube and most of my right ovary. I lost a great deal of blood during the surgery. And, for some reason, it took me eight hours to wake up after the five hour procedure. I was thin to begin with, but after the surgery I was sick for about a week in the hospital (UTI) and I probably dropped five lbs.

Four weeks into my recuperation, my scalp began to fell "strange". It was almost like it was hyper-sensitive. As if pins and needles were poking around up there. Then my hair began to shed. I mean SHED. I would cry in the shower, my hair was everywhere- on the bath mat on my back on the sink. It was unreal!! It was already short and brittle because of the last dye job! And now it was thinning!!!! Terrified, I went and got blood work done to rule out a thyroid problem or anything of that nature- but every thing was fine. It got so bad I went to three dermatologists who said it was TE and that my hair would grow back. One doctor tested my free ferritin levels (iron precursor) and it was on the low end. He suggested eating more red meat and taking an iron supplement. He thought my iron levels were in the low range before the surgery due to my running and poor diet. I still am taking iron supplements to this day. It boosted my ferritin up to a better range. In the litterature, there are studies about women runners and free ferritin levels, so it made sense to take the supplement.

After one month, my hair stoppped falling out. Alhough I was heart broken at the amount that was gone, I was *thankful* that I wasn't bald. I kept dying my hair (dermatologists said it was fine) and went back to running. I got back up to running 30 miles per week, but I was eating better. For six months, things were okay. Then, a month ago, my scalp began to feel "funny" again- tingly and hyper-sensitive. Almost like a sunburn. Next thing I know- whammo- I'm losing TONS OF HAIR. Now my scalp it clearly visible. I'm terrfied people at work can see it. Esp. in bright light.I've quit running altogether. I just do step class or spin.

I don't know what to think or do. I had a battery of blood work again, and everything is normal. Thyroid, testosterone, LH, FSH. Could it be the running? All 3 dermatologisit still think it is post-surgical stress (although my surgery was last August). They swore my hair would grow back, but it not only hasn't grown back, it's begun to shed again! I can't get appointments with them for another two months!!!!! :roll:

I am a differnt woman now. I hate to wake up in the morning. I freak out if someone takes my picture. I'm ashamed and embarrassed about my lack of hair. I have trouble maintaining eye contact with people. I don't want to shower becuase seeing how much hair is in the tub terrifies me. I'm nasty to people. :evil: When I see a woman with nice hair I want to cry. Or scream. I still can't believe this has happened to me.

So to summarize:

I had a normal head of hair
I got into running and heavy exercising
My hair "broke" during a visit to a new hari dresser
I was on depakote for several weeks
I had a stress fracture of my hip due to excessive exercise
I had major surgery
I lost hair
It stopped falling out
I began to run again
Now it's falling out again.

Thank you so much for listening. I'm just so sad. I don't even want to leave my house. I'm tired of everyone saying it's "stress". My scalp feels strange. Like it knows I'm terrified of losing more hair. I was given topical steroid shampoo (clobex) and used it for a few weeks. It didn't do much.

How can I cope with this? I cry to my therapist every week about it. My husband is sick of hearing about it. But I can't get away from it. I see my reflection everywhere. Fianlly, I've booked an appointment with a hormone doctor in NY in the event that perhaps this is a hormonal issue. Although my blood work was fine. My husband is a doctor and thinks this is sort of absurd. But why is my hair falling out again?!

MB

Please, if you can offer any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

James

Post by James » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:58 am

First off I just want to say sorry for all of the pain you have experienced. A lot of us on this board know first hand how awful this is, even more so when you are a woman.

I have no idea what could be going on with your hair to be honest. What I do know is that some males with pattern hair loss experience sensations somewhat similar to what you experienced.

I know how it is to not want to get up in the morning. But things will get better. We have a moderator on this board named Tricia who might have better input than me.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

James

Post by molecularblonde » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:58 am

James-
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my insanely long post.

It helps getting my emotions out on paper. I sit here today wearing a baseball hat (never owned one before) and debating if I should shower today. I'm scared to lose more hair.

I went to the gym and did a total body conditioning class and had some nice fruit afterwards. I'm looking forward to chicken and salad tongiht. I hope my husband still loves me even if I'm bald.

Thanks again-
MB

James

Post by James » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Hey, I know how awful this stuff is. It makes me upset to hear you so torn apart.

Of course your husband will love you even if you are bald but chances are that you are not gonna be bald! You are gonna figure this stuff out. I would recommend getting even more opinions on your case from people who specialize in alternative medicine.

I am sitting her in baseball cap too! lol

I think that it is good how you are breaking down your day and taking it moment by moment. Sometimes that is just the only way to get through things when they get really awful. Maybe I will have chicken salad myself tonight :) .

Anway, use this forum as a resource to get out all of the crap you are feeling inside. I hope to hear from you VERY soon so you can tell me how the chicken salad was. 8)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:17 pm

molecularblonde..welcome to the forums...sorry to read about your situation.

Keep us posted on what any other doctors tell you...and it might not be a bad idea to direct one of the experts(see the experts Q&A section) to your post here- or just post the same thing there. Although I suppose it'd be hard for them to offer any specific guidance w/out seeing you and/or any test results.

BTW..I do like your nickname.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

James/Jacob

Post by molecularblonde » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:52 pm

Thank you both so much.

After seeing 3 dermatolgists and having another battery of blood tests done (all were fine) I'm seeing an endocrinologist in NYC. He is supposedly an expert on female hair loss due to hormone imbalance. I've already seen an endocrinolgist, and my lab work was fine. But I'm desperate, so I will see this so-called "expert" in NYC.

Again, thank you for your support. Today, driving with the sun roof down, I froze as I saw my scalp through my hair in the rearview mirror. It was just awful :(

I miss my life before hair loss. I'd get up 20 mintues before work, throw my hair in a pony tail after a shower. I miss that.

Thanks-
Tara

James

Post by James » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:35 am

Hey I hope you are hanging in there today and enjoying your 4th of July.

I know that this is not a solution to anything but have you ever looked into something like Toppik or Dermatch?

These products are "cover ups" for thinning hair and CAN help with getting through the days. I would suggest doing a google search for them.

Anyway, hang in there and keep us updated.

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

James

Post by molecularblonde » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks for your reply-
I have never heard of those products, but will look into them if I can't wear a baseball hat anymore.

I know this sounds silly, but sometimes cancer presents itself with hair loss. I know this because my husband had a patient who presented like this. If I tell my husband this he will think I've lost it. I guess I am sort of losing it. We went to the beach yesterday and I was avoiding eye contact with everyone becuase I was afraid that they were looking at my scalp.

THanks again for your support.
I went to get my hair dyed on Saturday b/c the derms didn't think it was responsible for my hair loss. My scalp hurts a lot now, even though it hurt before I got it done. I bought $100 worth of new shampoos. I was thinking of using the Clobex shampoo again, b/c my scalp feels inflamed and sensitive. I hate hate hate hate washing my hair becuase it ends up all over the floor and the skylight in our bathroom does a great job of lighting up my scalp.

Ugh.

Thanks James-
MB

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:54 pm

Hello molecularblonde, and welcome to the forums.

I just read your story. I'm sorry you've gone through so many traumatic events, but I also wanted to let you know that I feel you're on the right track by sharing your experiences.

I am definitely no doctor, and this is not medical advice, but I have some thoughts about your situation that are strictly my opinion.

First of all, I think you should work on having a healthy, normal diet. It can't hurt and can only help your situation. Hair loss, especially when it's not your garden variety androgenetic hair loss, can be an indicator of poor health. Your body has definitely experienced trauma, and you've gone through surgery for it. Your body could be marshalling it's "resources" (nutrients, and the like) to deal with recovering from its trauma. It can take a long time to recover from TE. But it sounds like at least to some degree that is what you may be suffering from.

You're doing the right thing to get yourself checked out by experts, but I suggest you also consider the following 10 action items:

1) FIX YOUR DIET! This is a big deal, and I personally feel if you can resolve this issue you'll be well on your way to at the very least stopping any further loss.

2) Definitely keep an eye on your blood ferritin levels. Make sure you're not low, and if you are, then supplement with a physician's supervision.

3) It sounds like you may be exercising a bit too much. Perhaps you need to give your body more time to rest between runs and workouts. Especially by not eating well, and exercising a lot, you could be depleting your bodies stores of nutrients needed for growing hair (amoungst other perhaps even more important things!).

4) Make sure you're getting a full night's sleep every night!! At least 8 hours. Again, because you exercise, this is even more important.

5) In my humble opinion, stop coloring your hair and getting too many treatments, at least for a while. Again, the idea is to minimize the stress on your body and by extension your hair follicles. Dyes contain strong chemicals that I am sure you know can damage not only your hair, but the follicles themselves if you're not careful.

6) The tingling you're talking about could be inflammation, or some sort of inflammatory response to something (stress, chemicals, lack of nutrients, etc.). I would suggest using a product like InFlamil to help control or minimize the inflammation.

7) Reduce your general stress levels. Obviously, all of this trauma has caused you considerable stress! Being a type A personality adds to it too it. Find time in the day every day to relax and do something you like, or just chill out. Stress increases cortisol production in your body which can mess with your body's hormonal balance and in general is not a good thing to have in your system at high levels for a prolonged period of time. If you're always in your fight-or-flight mode you're increasing the likelihood of developing all sorts of diseases, with hair loss probably being the least of your concerns.

8 ) In the interim, while you take steps to stop or slow your hair loss and perhaps even regrow some hair, in order for you to stop being self-conscious about it, look into a concealer product called DermMatch. In my opinion it's the best overall concealer on the market, especially if you don't have any bald patches, but instead have areas of diffuse thinning.

9) Take a good multivitamin complex

10) Obviously continue to get medical advice, but try to find someone who specializes in hair loss as well. If they find indications of androgenetic hair loss, then you can start looking into other alternatives.

Best Regards,
Sam

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

Sam

Post by molecularblonde » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:21 pm

Sam-
Thank you so much for your wonderful reply. I appreciate so much the time you took to write down every last point.

I know that you are correct about fixing my diet. WHen my hair began to fall out after my surgery last year, dermatolgoist #2 was bright enough to recommend getting my serum ferritin levels checked. When I did, they were quite low, and were probably super low post surgery. I began taking iron everyday but I picking up running again in Jaunary and still, occassionaly I would vomit up a meal. He told me to eat more red meat in addition to taking the supplement.

In March we tested my Ferritin levels again and they were excellent. Back in the normal range. But again, some food issues were in the way. Now i have conquered those issues and yet my hair began to fall out again just this past June.

I know you might be right about dying my hair. I suppose I will sound like a five year old when I say this, but after *years* of dying my hair, why would it cause/contribute to hair loss now? Perhaps I have a scalp disease? Gosh Sam, I don't want to lose being blonde. How shallow am I?

I also understand what you mean about reducing stress. It got so bad last night I was scared I would do harm to myself: I couldn't face getting up this morning and seeing how much more hair was on the floor. :shock: But I went to my psychiatrist tonight and he is going to put my on a medication to help treat the obessive nature of my condition. He thinks that the more I obsess about my hair,t he worse it will get. I'm so type A that i AWAYS worry. In fact, the only way I could relax was by running really hard or by having a few drinks. (I gave up drinking last year). I hope this new medication doesn't cause hair loss. He promised it wouldn't but soemtimes I don't think he's always so up to date on things :?

I understand what you mean about reducing stress. My marriage is tough in that my husband and I are seldon see eachother. His shifts at the hospital don't coincide with my work week. We also had a really rough patch last year. Also, I'm worried that after my surgery last year I cannot get pregnant. Also, I think I'm fat all of the time, which is insane I know. But i was dx with body dysmorphia years ago and I guess it's reared it's ugly head in the last two years. And this is adding to my stress level. Also, this year I had a paper published but I wasn't certain it was going to get into the journal I wanted, so I was stressed about that.

Anyway.... sorry to go on like this.

Your comment:
"6) The tingling you're talking about could be inflammation, or some sort of inflammatory response to something (stress, chemicals, lack of nutrients, etc.). I would suggest using a product like InFlamil to help control or minimize the inflammation"

Is an excellent one. I wonder if dying my hair is exacerbating inflammation of my scalp? Is stress causing my sclap to become hyper-senstive?

When I defended my theisis in graduate school I got a nasty case of shingles. My husband was in medical school at the time and he said it was a classic textbook stress response.

I'm eating *much* better now. Tonight I had tofu, veggies and a spring roll and low fat sherbert for dessert. I only did one exercise class for one hour.

Thank you Sam for giving me some advice/insight.