Question

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

grand hustle
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Question

Post by grand hustle » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:39 pm

I was wondering since i have balding mainly in the temples of my hair line should i see a dermatologist and just try propecia or should i take xandrox off of dr. lee's website. I am just looking for the best option for balding in the temples i dont know if the dermatologist will qualify it as MPB yet. thank you

James

Post by James » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:40 am

The temples are the hardest area to treat. Xandrox is good stuff, I used to use it. I can't really tell you that you should use this product or that product, because I am not a doctor. I can show you the options you have and that is really all I can do. I recommend researching this subject as much as possible as Jacob recommends. I also still recommend seeing a derm just to make sure that there isn't anything else causing the hair loss, although it does seem like you are experiencing male pattern baldness.b

familyguy
Regular Poster

Post by familyguy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi grand hustle,

You were on the same boat as me so I'll just tell you what I did and you can decide for yourself what to do... I first got thinning in the temple areas and then a little in my crown area when I was about 20. It seemed pretty evident if I didn't do something about it soon it was going to get noticably worse. The first thing I did was to take propecia. That definitely did a lot to help the general health of my hair and stopped the shedding in the crown area. It didn't seem to do much for the temples though. That's when I got the lasercomb. It seems to not do much for the crown area but it reacts pretty well in the front hairline and especially the temple area. In the front my hairline is almost completely back to its original starting point. On the temples I have gotten good progress of restored hairs. Not as good as it originally was but definitely a lot better looking. And there are still more hairs coming so I am optimistic.

The lasercomb research is still very primitive and even the people who sell the product say that there's no real timeline that someone should see results by, but that most people do see it in the first year. So the propecia and the lasercomb I think make a good combo. I think there is still some things missing in my regimen. I would like to eventually add a good shampoo and vitamin supplement but I just don't know enough about these topics. If you want my opinion, first see your dermatoligist and then if he OKs it take the propecia and maybe look into the lasercomb. Also if you find out a good shampoo and vitamin combo to use let me know I would be curious to hear about it too.

I once tried to go for a consultation at the Bosley institute which is a rather well known national organization for hair transplants and hair loss treatments in general. They told me that I was still too young to consider hair transplants as they would probably tell you. Basically since our hair loss is still so early there's no way to tell if it's done or if you're going to shed more. In which case the hair transplant would look worse than your original intention to help your hairline.

One thing I would like to suggest about the lasercomb, it's a bit awkward holding the comb in place and moving it around your head. I was actually getting some bad results in my crown because I believe I was forcing the comb into my scalp too hard and it was irritating and damaging it more than it was helping. Go lightly over your head and make sure the light gets down to the scalp and it should be good ;). After I started going lighter on my scalp it really started doing a good job!

Hope my 2 cents helped.

grand hustle
Occasional Poster

Post by grand hustle » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:38 pm

Thanks family guy do you know the best deal for a laser comb because im in a lot of financial troubles and if i spend money i want it to work. Is Lasercomb the best option along with propecia you think?

gorillaz
Occasional Poster

Post by gorillaz » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:43 am

You better consult a dermatologist if you want to have accurate results on what's happening to u, and how to get rid of the hair loss prob.