newbie intro and help request

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

superjojo
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

newbie intro and help request

Post by superjojo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:10 pm

hi everybody. let me start by I am a 25 year old male, and I too am struggling with hair loss. Since highschool I have kept my hair relatively short, usually high and tight similar to military style bowl cuts with the fade though, but since about my senior year in highschool I started noticing a little drift backwards. No problem I just kept it a little shorter, and eventually shaved it all, but I never had to move to the wonderful face shaver or sraight razor. there was always something growing up top, which was good enough for me. still looked respectible and not skin head like... Well my hair line is drifting further back, and I decided a few months ago to try to regrow everything to see where exactly I am with this situation. Unfortunately to my surprise my hair is thinning up top as well, and I have a proment receding hairline. I'd like to do everything I can to try to regrow my hair to the point of having the high and tight bowl hair cut again. I am not in anyway looking for the long flowing hair, but I'd like to be able to run a 1 blade over it to keep it clean, and maybe get a fade every once in a while. Please feel free to throw me any suggestions tips or advice, or stories you may have. thanks in advance for all the help. on another note I am getting married in roughly 9 months, so needless to say I'd like to see how much progress I can make in that time frame. thanks again!

superjojo

Post by superjojo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:15 pm

also I am probably between a norwood two and 3 on your scale. with thinking hair up top. thanks again

superjojo

Post by superjojo » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:11 pm

thinning... I wish my hair could think

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:13 am

Hello superjojo and welcome.

I think you should start with Propecia. Try it for six months to see if it maintains your hair. IMO, when you're in the early stages of hair loss if you can keep what you have then you're ahead of the game. Sadly this problem of androgenetic hair loss is a progressive one. At most one can prolong their existing hair (with some initial regrowth if you're lucky) for a very long time. But sooner or later it keeps getting worse. There are lots of options though. With hair transplants currently producing the most dramatic results.

Check out some of the pictures in our galleries section:

http://www.morphollica.com/pics_regimens/community

And you may want to follow Dr. Jones' blog as he recently got a hair transplant and is logging the experience there. Obviously you are not planning on a hair transplant anytime soon, but for your own education it's worth checking it out:

http://www.morphollica.com/jones

As far as treatments go, there are other options, with Minoxidil being the best known and researched. My suggestion is that you read as much as you can on the topic and through trial and error determine what works best for you. If you'd like to add a topical or two, I suggest trying Minox, and/or Revivogen.

If you have inflammation or itchy scalp I suggest trying Inflamil from Lipoxidil, as well as Nizoral once a week for your shampoo.

Regards,
Sam

Kara46
Occasional Poster

If you try Minoxidil...be very careful...

Post by Kara46 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:50 pm

It might take the hair that you have left and kill the hair roots and make you worse off. I know because it did that to me. You might have success with it though because you're a man. Good luck to you.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:18 am

There isn't a single piece of scientific literature that I am aware of that makes a claim that any of the treatments that I mentioned do what Kara46 has said.

DavieGravy

Post by DavieGravy » Sat May 27, 2006 4:10 pm

Just wanted to say that oral minox (loniten) works wonders in conjunction with spironolactone. Talk about a regimen. Woo hoo!!!

Alcyone

PS, I've fallen off the loney tree and hit every branch down. I'm a few bricks short of a house if you catch my drift.