Scarp's Hair Loss Story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

Scarp
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Scarp's Hair Loss Story

Post by Scarp » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:46 pm

Hey everyone, been checkin out these boards for a couple of days, as I'm relatively new to the hair loss world. I'm 21 years old and have started to see a receeding hairline for about a year now. I used to have a hairstyle in which my hair was lifted at the front and the rest was pushed forward (Called a Caesar's cut). However, about 5 months ago I was pretty much forced to change it to where now I just basically leave it alone when I get out of the shower because I can't style it the way I want. The first month or two my hair loss didnt' bother me, but then it really started to become a problem. I wasn't concerned at first because I had a girlfriend and I figured well hopefully it wouldn't get worse. But the last month we broke up after going out for a year, and now my appearance is really becoming even more important to me. I actually really started going to the gym hardcore over this time and have built up a nice frame while taking some good supplements over this time. I'm really trying to take the attention away from my hair loss, but it still bothers me daily.

I started using Vive for men, but that didn't help the hair loss, it just made my hair look thicker. I then started using an all natural shampoo that fights DHT called Nioxin which has slowed down the receeding, but not stopped it. My head is also much less itchy than it used to be, but it still itches and occassionally I'll itch a piece of hair right out of my head which always depresses me. I was doing quite a bit of research on hair loss, and have found a plethera of different products claiming success. My friend uses a certain one that starts with a P (not Propecia), but the name escapes me at this time, and his hair loss has improved very slighty over a 4 month span.

I was considering this product called Scalp Med that I saw on TV, but i dont know much about it. It claims it is FDA approved and offers money back guarantee, but I'm skeptical. My hairline is receeding and I'm starting to notice a very slight hair loss in the middle of my scalp and on the vertex very very slightly. I dont have a lot of money to spend on products, but am started to become frustrated and am wearing hats more often. I just wish there was a definate thing that will work out there, but such is life I suppose. Big 1st post...haha but this is my experience thus far.

James

Post by James » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:50 pm

Hey man what is up? Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride) are the only 2 FDA approved treatments for hair loss. The shampoo Nizoral also has beneficial effects on male pattern baldness. A good amount of the people on these boards use these three products and call them "the big 3." If I were you I would visit a dermatologist just to make sure that you have male pattern baldness and see if you can get a prescription for Propecia.
If you do not want to get the Propecia throught the doctor, there are many places online where you can get it cheap. If you decide to go try Propecia (finasteride) you can actually get Proscar which has the same active ingredient as Propecia. Since Proscar is 5mg and Propecia is 1mg, you can cut the pill into four or five different pieces and it will be even more cost effective.
Using minoxidil (Rogaine) should also be beneficial to your hair, but since you are in the early stages of hair loss, Propecia may be sufficient. Adding Nizoral shampo could possible help with the itch.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:26 pm

Hey Scarp, welcome to the forums,

Blueshard gave you a good breakdown of how to begin treating your hair loss. If I could do one thing from the start of when my I first noticed my own hair loss I would have gone on Propecia (or Proscar cut into quarters). If I had started back then I feel I would have a lot more hair now.

If there's one treatment I would suggest for you it's Propecia.

Keep your hair as short as you're comfortable to do so, and keep hitting the gym. If ever you need support drop us another post. Sometimes it helps to talk to people that are going through the same thing.

Best Regards,
Sam

familyguy
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by familyguy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:09 am

Hi Scarp,

Your story is very similar to mine. At around the age of 21 I started to notice hair loss. Didn't do much about it mostly because I tried to ignore it and hope that it was some sort of cyclical thing. However, when I actually started to do something about it, I noticed that you can actually do something to curb hair loss and even restore lost hairline.

Propecia is my best recommendation too. I used it exclusively until I was 23 and it did a great job of slowing and almost stopping hair loss and making my hair somewhat more healthy.

The only other thing I added onto my schedule was using a product called the Lasercomb by Lexington right around my 23rd birthday (about 5 months ago). It has done a pretty good job actually of regrowing my temple area which is the area where I had most of my hair loss. My crown seems to have gotten a bit weaker throughout the course of my hair loss but the comb seems to not do much about that. Although, it has not gotten thin enough to show scalp so I am fortunate.

You can check previous posts about this product on the forums. It seems to have mixed results but if your body favors it, it has the potential for some great conclusions. As my dermatologist said, we are young and our response to medical treatments to hair loss are going to be better than when age takes more of a hold.

As for the rest of the treatments such as the rogaine and the shampoo I do not know enough about them since I have not tried them myself but I am hoping what knowledge I do have is of use to you ;). Also most importantly these forums have given me the knowledge and support I have needed to understand my biological situation and equip myself to attack it.

Good luck!