mabla's hair loss story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

mabla
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

mabla's hair loss story

Post by mabla » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:20 am

Hello!
I'm happy to have found this web site and have a feeling it could help me with my problem.
I'm 33 year old female.
After almost 2 years of trying to solve my problem I feel quite depressed and my self confidence is below zero :(
I've noticed increased hair lost about 2 years ago, but didn't worry too much. I bought some cosmetic products against hair loss and put them on regullary. But, when nothing's changed and even became worst I decided to visit dermatologist (a year ago). At that time a problem with itchy scalp also appeard. Dermatologist prescribed Thymuskin shampoo and Alpicort F lotion (it contains prednisolone and estrogens) and told me there should be no major problem because my hair loss is probably due to a stress that I had over the past year. So I used the products he prescribed. Beside that I was taking all kind of hair pills (iron, multivitamins, etc...) and I started taking birth control pills (Logest). But after a month the itching became unbareble and the hair loss didn't seem to decrease. Doctor suggested that I stop using Thymuskin because I was probably allergic to it and it enhanced the itchiness so he reccomed to wash my hair with only very mild shampoo for sensitive scalp. I never had dandruff or oily scalp. I still have enough amount of hair so that my friends and family say that I'm overreacting. But I see I have less hair than a year ago, not to mention 2 or three years ago and it's shedding :( :( Dermatologist said 4 months ago that he doesn't know how to help me anymore... I swithed to a different birth control pills (Yasmine) 2 months ago... Nothing has changed. I still have terrible terrible itchiness, reddish scalp and loose more hair. I'm really desperate!! Cry most of the time, don't have a will to go out, feel ashamed and am completly opsesed with my hair.
I have an appointment with another dermatologist in 10 days but am very sceptic.
Please tell me, what would you reccomed? Why some people refuse to take Minoxidil (I read that if you start using it once you musn't stop or otherwise you'll lose the new hair again, is that true?). Is the itchiness of the scalp conected to the hair loss? Is it dangerous to use the lotion that has prednisolone?
Thank you very much in advance for your answer!

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:43 pm

Hello Mabla and welcome.

I think seeing another dermatologist is an excellent idea for you. You need someone that can give you a definitive diagnosis and it doesn't sound like your dermatologist has been able to help you much. Once you have a definitive diagnosis of what the problem is then you can take more confident action.

In answer to you question about minoxidil. Yes, unfortunately any gains you get from Minoxidil typically require that you continue to use minoxidil in order to keep them.

By the way, some birth control pills can cause hair loss. Although someone with more knowledge in this area can potentially give you more info. I suggest you leave a message in the Women's hair loss discussions section of the forums in addition to the one you left here.

I know it's difficult, but try not to despair and keep searching for a dermatologist that can give you better information. I have never heard of a dermatologist prescribing Thymuskin before.

Sam