LATES Hair Loss Story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

LATE
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

LATES Hair Loss Story

Post by LATE » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:51 pm

Well my story began 9 yearts ago and is really subtle. I started loosing hair 9 years ago when i was 15 and now i am 24. Alot has changed in my life since then. I developed depression and confusion and so much anxiety about my hairloss. I began to be self concious about it and I went into a depression and I just felt so hopless and helpless and that I wouldn't have a chance. I felt unattractive and confused and just alone almost on this issue. To be honest with you this is the first time that i am publicly talking about this becuase for so long for over 7 years now it has been bugging me and i was worried and anxious and depressed and I just don't know what to do. I don't really go out much and hang out because I feel I'll admit self conscious about my looks. I have matures since then in my personality and my inner man so i have a different perspective on things. I just feel so isolated and shy to meet people. I have a nice dace and a great smile i am told and wonderful looking eyes. My hair colour is dark brown and I am 6'1 feet tall and bulky built, So I still get told by some people I have encountered that i am cute. I know in my heart that i am. But to be honest I am here to reach out because I have held so much hurt in me for so long I need to share this with someone. I am a great person I am open minded , funny and compassionate. I just feel I need someone to talk to about this and some support and to feel better about myself you know.

I tried to get a hairtransplant before but due to my WPW rapid heart beat syndrome I was told it may not be safe. I had a toupee or wig for about 2 years but I didn't like that because it's not the real me. I guesse i just want people to accept me for the nice , friendly person that i am and Ihope that I will get my life back together.

I have alot of potential, but because of this hairloss i don't have as much confidence as i should have and it effects me. I am afraid to ask a girl out and to get social. I try to be more optimistic and confident and it works soemtimes but other times i need to work at it.

So thats my story in a nutshell. I hope things will get better.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 pm

Hello LATE and welcome,

You started losing your hair at an early age. Everything you described I can 100% sympathize with.

You're still quite young and can do so much to improve your overall self-esteem and appearance. Hair can make a big difference in your appearance, but you can still maximize your overall look, and you can do your best to have a good overall outlook in life.

Just out of curiousity, how do you style your hair? I find that keeping it as short as possible gives me the best overall look.

Regards,
sam

LATE
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Hey same

Post by LATE » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:42 pm

Hey sam

Well I have my hair short, I ussually comb it forwards and try to leave the back hair to overlap the area nearer to the forhead where most of the hairloss is happening. I put on alot of hairspray to try to make it look
thicker. I keep the hair short on the sides and back and alittle longer on the top.

I shaved my head in 2001 and then from there had a mohawk look later that year. I think that looked ok I mean I have a nice face and eyes which can help out a bald look. The mohawk look was ok. I also shaved it back in April and trie the mohawk look again, but I then grew the hair and made it to what it is now, the comb to front look. I'll admit it is almost like a combover which is alittle awkward and that why i am considering shaving my head completey and leaving it like that or like a ver short mohawk look with hairspray on it.

I may do that as soon as a loose alittle more wieght, so then that look will have a better look to it and more style in it.

I'll tell you it is stressfull for me to worry about this year after year, I try not to, but somehow there always seems to be a statement on tv or the internet that makes me feel bad about myself and makes me even depressed to a point where I am trying to rescover myself.

I tried to get a hair transplant but the doctor told be to weight with that until atleast I get treatment for my rapid heart beat WPW syndrome. I don't know about others but to me my health is more of a priority than my hair so i hope to get that cleared up soon.

I appreciate the suggestions and all. I think my primarliy goal being here is that to get connected and talk to others and reach out if you will and to talk to people who have similar issues and to gain support because I really can use that.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:57 pm

Well I have my hair short, I ussually comb it forwards and try to leave the back hair to overlap the area nearer to the forhead where most of the hairloss is happening. I put on alot of hairspray to try to make it look thicker. I keep the hair short on the sides and back and alittle longer on the top.
If that works for you then great. I just keep my hair as short as possible and find that it is the best look for me given that I have thinning hair.
I'll tell you it is stressfull for me to worry about this year after year, I try not to, but somehow there always seems to be a statement on tv or the internet that makes me feel bad about myself and makes me even depressed to a point where I am trying to rescover myself.
I know what that feels like, but the best way to deal with it is to do maximize your strong points, and do the best you can to (1) keep your current hair (this means you should research the various products and put together a good regimen for yourself that is easy to maintain long term) and (2) you should try make the most of what hair you have.

Have you heard of Dermmatch or Toppik? I've used both. These are concealers that can work wonders in giving your hair a thicker look. My favourite is Dermmatch, but Toppik is really good too. As well, I've heard good things about Nanogen from one of the users of the forums. You can check out my review of Dermmatch here:

http://www.morphollica.com/product_revi ... review.php
I tried to get a hair transplant but the doctor told be to weight with that until atleast I get treatment for my rapid heart beat WPW syndrome. I don't know about others but to me my health is more of a priority than my hair so i hope to get that cleared up soon.
Your thinking is on the mark. Your health is far more important than having hair.
I appreciate the suggestions and all. I think my primarliy goal being here is that to get connected and talk to others and reach out if you will and to talk to people who have similar issues and to gain support because I really can use that.
You're on the right track LATE, just keep your spirits high, take care of yourself and research, research, research. Ask a lot of questions and did I say do your research? Then choose a course of action and be ready to make adjustments as you figure out what works for you.

Regards,
Sam