blueshard's hair loss update

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

James

blueshard's hair loss update

Post by James » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:50 am

Months ago I had to stop all topicals due to the unrelenting irritation and inflammation that they were causing. After a MASSIVE minoxidil shed I began taking a natural regimen that consisted of: nettles, saw palmetto, pygeum, beta sis, and a multi vitamin/mineral. I continued taking Propecia as I have been taking it for years and with no side effects. After a few months on these natural internals I did notice some "activity" in my temple regions. Very small, unpigmented hairs that I hadn't seen before. At this point I started to use the Hairmax lasercomb and after a couple months of use there are some hairs that are taking off on my hairline and in my temples. My crown area has thinned out since stoping minoxidil and I haven't seen much going on there but this new regrowth looks prominsing.

James

Post by James » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:31 pm

Well, it seems now that I am developing a case a gyno. Both of my pecs are in pain all the time. I am not sure if it is from the naturals that I have been taking or from propecia but I am beginning to think that it is the propecia because I have dropped the naturals for some days now and the pain is just getting worse.
This is pretty much worse case scenario for me. I have been denied use of topical minoxidil and now I don't think I can use Propecia anymore. I guess all I can use now is the F***ing lasercomb. I find it hard to believe how unlucky I am with this %&$!. What has bothered more than actually having hairloss is not being able to treat it how I want to and with the best products. I am gonna order some of Dr. Lee's 5% spiro I think and see if it irritates my scalp which I am sure it will.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:52 pm

Hey blueshard,

sorry to hear about the symptoms you're experiencing. Some breast sensitivity is relatively common with some people who take Propecia. I've even experienced it but it went away after the first few weeks of use.

Maybe you should adjust the dosage downwards a bit. It has been shown that even with half the dosage of propecia you get significant reduction in DHT, granted that this comes with a slightly reduced incidence of hair growth. But I'm sure you'd be happy if you just maintained what you have right?

I have been on JUST finasteride for all of this year. No topicals (except for the InFlamil which reduced the inflammation I was experiencing somewhat). It seems to be holding ground for me.

Are you using actuall Propecia or are you using Proscar cut up into quarters?

Regards,
Sam

James

Post by James » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:15 pm

Sam,
first off let me just say THANK YOU for responding today. I really need help. I have been using Propecia 1mg. I don't want to stop propecia so badly, so badly. I would gladly reduce my dosage, what do u think about Arimidex( i think it is called that) to combat the effects of this breast pain? Please help me,,,I am so low right now, so dam low.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:29 pm

Blueshard,

I know that you know that while hair loss is really painful, your value and self-worth is much greater than how your hair loss effects you.

Having said that, you have to deal with it rationally and calmly.

Back in the late 90's I remember reading a study about finasteride being effective at even 0.2mg. I spent about an hour online looking for the study without much luck. I did find this excerpt though from Regrowth that talks about it:
URL: http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-remedy ... cia_13.cfm

Also presented at the 1995 American Association of Dermatology Meeting in New Orleans (February 5-8, 1995), were preliminary results from phase II dose-range-finding studies, designed to help determine the optimal dose of finasteride for use in male pattern baldness. A six-week trial measured concentrations of scalp-skin and serum DHT, using oral finasteride at doses of 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1 or 5 mg per day or placebo. Finasteride at doses of 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1 or 5 mg per day suppressed scalp-skin DHT. In men taking 0.05-5mg per day of oral finasteride, scalp-skin DHT was reduced between 56 and 69 percent from baseline. In men taking placebo, scalp-skin DHT decreased by 13 percent. Other than the group taking 0.01 mg, no significant differences between the doses were seen; however, significant differences were seen between the groups that received finasteride (not including 0.01), and the group that received placebo. Effects on hair growth, were determined in a 6-month trial using doses of 0.01, 0.2, or 1 mg per day or placebo.
So if this study is correct then 0.05mg of finasteride reduced 56% more dht in scalp skin than baseline, and 5mg reduced 69%. To put this in a way that will make clear how significant this is:

.05mg of finasteride iis 100 times less finasteride than 5mg !!! And yet it had only a difference in reduction of dht of 13% less than 5mg !!

That's pretty significant!

I'm not saying you will necessarily regrow any hair at .05mg of finasteride or even that you'll keep any hair. Obviously Merck studied various doses and decided that 1mg is the optimal dose for maximizing hair growth while minimizing the chances for side-effects. However, I am saying that IF you are seeing side-effects then it may be possible to reduce these or even eliminate them by reducing your dosage of finasteride and this MAY still benefit you in at least slowing down or stopping your current hair loss. It's a trade off.

Blueshard, obviously I am NOT a doctor and this is only one study (or rather just a reference to a study I couldn't locate) so take all of this with a grain of salt and do your own research and make a decision that's right for you. I am just presenting you with the information about this study that I could find.

Best Regards,
Sam

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:04 pm

blueshard, what's happening? Have you given any thought to my previous post?

Regards,
Sam

James

Post by James » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:01 pm

Hey whats up Sam. Yeah that post def. gave me some hope. The only thing is that even though I have stopped all internals, this pain in my pecs won't go away. they are so sore. I don't know how long it should be until the pain subsides. Do you have any idea?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:32 pm

blueshard, for me it went away after a few weeks.

Have you talked to a doctor to see if you have actual gyno? I went through a period of sore pecs when I was in my early 20's even before I ever started Propecia. It may just be that you're going through some hormonol fluctuations. I would definitely get a doctors diagnosis if I were you.

James

Post by James » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:11 am

Well I stopped propecia for about a week and then started up on .5 milligram a day. I def have gyno and it is getting worse. I have had to stop finasteride. I am now going to go bald. The battle is over for me. I get side-effects from everything. Good luck to you guys, I hope you have better luck than me. I am out. Later.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:38 am

blueshard,

Your gyno (if that's even what it is, may or may not be from the Propecia). You're still growing. It could just be a part of your regular hormonal changes and it may go away!

I'd consult a physician if I were you.

Regards,
Sam

James

Post by James » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:02 am

Just a little update on my results from the lasercomb:
-I am still seeing regrowth on hairline
-hair is slightly thicker
-hairline looks more "solid"

I am still shedding a good amount and I am not sure why. I have been shedding excessively for months now but it doesn't really bother me because I am seeing results from the lasercomb.

Sam, do the four second interval beeps on your lasercomb actually seem like four seconds or do they seem to be more?

familyguy
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by familyguy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:34 am

blueshard,

you seem to be having the same experiences I'm having with the lasercomb. About 3 months into it I am still noticing new hairs in all the original areas where my hairline used to be showing up. Many have reported that positive results continue years into using the lasercomb... they weren't kidding when they said hair regrowth was a process for patience. As an additional note, as you may notice I posted in a thread previously, I was concerned because upon first using the lasercomb I was experiencing increased shedding especially in my crown area. But the end result was that healthier hairs grew back in place of the sickly hairs which were shed. Perhaps this is what is happening to you?

I know what you mean about the 4 beeps. It seems like longer but its not. The uncomfortable feeling of holding your arm up for 4 seconds in several positions is probably what gives you that impression :? Good luck on future use of the lasercomb. I am interested to see other people's experiences on this product. I have had great results with it although there seems to be much controversy amongst everyone else on if it is a legitimate product or not!

James

Post by James » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Hey whats up familyguy? I am happy to hear that you too are seeing results from the lasercomb. My lasercomb does not have the four second beep feature and I was wondering if it really was 4 seconds or longer. I keep the lasercomb in one place for longer than 4 seconds because I am paranoid that the lasers won't get enough time to do their magic. I have seen results this way so I don't think I will change it although it is quite tiring on the arm and uncomfortable.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:32 pm

Hey Blueshard,

Thanks for the update and sorry for taking a while to reply. My lasercomb is the one that beeps every 4 seconds. Like you, I tend to leave it there longer than that and for the exact same reason as you. It's good to hear that it's working for you.

I am having some initial success with it as well. I've got the teeny tiny peach fuzz hair growing at the temples. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Sam

familyguy
Regular Poster

Post by familyguy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:03 am

Well they do say that there is no negative effects for overuse ;) I actually found myself doing the same thing initially too. Eventually my laziness took over and I kept it to the 4 second beeps except I do still go 3 (instead of 2) times over my temples because that's where I'm seeing the most progress... looking forward to hearing from everyone's experience with the lasercomb, I have nothing but praise for it so far! As a little side note the hairs which I had noticed initially coming as peach fuzz now are more visible and starting to become colored like the rest of my hair. It took about 2 months for this transition though, but it gives me hope since hairs which looked like it 2 months ago are now healthier, stronger hairs

Bri

Post by Bri » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:50 am

blueshard wrote:Hey whats up familyguy? I am happy to hear that you too are seeing results from the lasercomb. My lasercomb does not have the four second beep feature and I was wondering if it really was 4 seconds or longer. I keep the lasercomb in one place for longer than 4 seconds because I am paranoid that the lasers won't get enough time to do their magic. I have seen results this way so I don't think I will change it although it is quite tiring on the arm and uncomfortable.
Hi folks. Bri from England here, my first post. I use golden emu oil to calm irritation from the topicals I use, including minoxidil. I have been taking 1mg finasteride for 16 months, with minor side effects. Having reached full shiny mpb twenty years ago, I was curious to see if any of the treatments I only learned about last year would do anything, so I became a guinea pig for everything going with some scientific backing. I am a writer, so this was purely research, I expected nothing. Now I have thousands of small new terminal hairs at the top front and temples, though the crown is sparse. I will post my full story later, but I thought you should know about the benefit I had from the emu oil.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Hello Bri and welcome.

Thanks for your post. It's very encouring to hear when someone that has lost a lot of hair like yourself has success with some regrowth. I'm looking forward to the rest of your story. By all means, start a thread for yourself in this forum!

Regards,
Sam

James

Update

Post by James » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:44 am

Just wanted to give a little update. I tried to use Lipoxidil's new PG and alcohol free minoxidil to see if my scalp would be compatible with it but it wasn't. The reason why I can't use this stuff is because it aggravates my folliculitis like many other things. Certain shampoos aggravate my folliculitis and this did also.
I am still using the lasercomb and continue to see hairs popping up here and there. I continue to shed a fair amount.
I am alternating 0.5 mg of finasteride with 0.25 mg of finasteride along with some nolvadex to control the gyno which it seems to be doing nicely. I plan on getting some arimidex and then slowly weening off of nolvadex soon. I believe that I may beable to keep the gyno at bay with just a small dose of arimidex while using the smaller dose of finasteride.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:41 pm

Hey blueshard,

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear the PG-free minox aggravated your folliculitis. I was hoping you'd do well with it as you know that I'm in the same boat as you are with most topicals.

I'm glad you're having some success with the lasercomb and finas. Be careful with the other stuff!!

Regards,
Sam

James

Post by James » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:15 am

Ok, well I have finally dropped fin and wanned off of nolvadex. I have been using Immortal Hairs Big Three for about two months. The big three consists of Beta Sitosterol, Flax Lignans, and Green Tea (all taken in pill form). Dropping Propecia was kind of a big deal for me since it is one of the best drugs out there for MPB, but it gave me gyno and I just couldn't deal with that, way to painful and I do not want boobs.
So I decided to hop on this Big Three and I have actually DRAMATICALLY decreased my shedding. I mean, I was shedding a lot, all of the time and I have since seen less than half of what I used to shed.
My hair is really receeded and thin everywhere, it is very obvious that I am losing my hair, but I have to say that my hair actually looks like it is getting better. A lot of this I can say is the Lasercomb. That thing is amazing in my opinion, it is not like it grew a lot of hair for me, but it grew some which is a really big deal.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:49 am

Almost sounds to me like propecia was just too strong for you. I've never understood this one-pill-fits-all..especially when it comes to hairloss.

Anyway..good luck!

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you had to stop the Propecia. I may have to stop for a while too, although it would be for a completely different reason altogether (think kids).

If I stop I think I'll do something similar and go with the best natural internals. You have certainly chosen good alternatives blueshard.

Thank God for the lasercomb eh?