Piper's Hair Loss Story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

piper
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Piper's Hair Loss Story

Post by piper » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:31 pm

I am a 37 year old female with diffuse thinning. I experienced my first shed when I was 20 after a perm in a learning type salon. At the time I blamed it on the perm. Of course, it was not noticeable to anyone else.

I didn't shed again until after I had a baby. I went on the bcp to help some minor breaking out of my skin. My hair thickened greatly.

For the next ten years my hair was the same. I used rogaine and stayed on bcp because I felt that my hairs were inconsistent in diameter. In the fall of 2003, I went off bcp and stopped using rogaine. I started thinking that I didn't have a problem. Within 3-4 months I dropped 50% of my hair in a two month period of time. My scalp was painfully itchy.

I waited awhile after that-no change. I started to break out mildly so I decided to go back on bcp. I also started using rogaine again. I am now sprouting hundreds of hair all over my head. It isn't thickening up the same as before, but hey it is growth.

All my bloodwork is normal except for ferritin. Many women in my boat seem to have a similar issue. Anyways, I think I just have an extreme sensitivity to any dht, even normal levels.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:47 pm

Hello Piper,

Thanks for sharing your story.

I'm glad some of the hair you lost is growing back now that you're on the bcp and Rogaine again. My advice, stick with the Rogaine. Keep those follicles alive for as long as possible to a better alternative becomes available. You also may want to consider topical spironolactone or Revivogen.

If the itching still persists several people on this site have recommended a product called Inflamil.

As for the ferritin, I'd keep an eye on that too as anemia can also contribute to hair loss. I've also found that getting on an anti-inflammatory, low-sugar diet has been helpful in reducing my own scalp inflammation and itching. An anti-inflammatory diet consists of consuming healthy foods consisting of essential fatty acids, low in saturated fat, low in dense carbs and high in fibre, lean meats and fish, and vegetables.

Anyway, good luck with your regimen and keep us posted on your progress!

Sam

piper
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by piper » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:41 am

Thanks, Sam. I am planning on topical spiro or xandrox 5%, but I have to wait for my consult with Dr. Lee. I also copied a recipe for topical spiro from Heralopecia.com, but I'm concerned to make my own the first time. Ph balance etc. I am not a chemist.

In regards to itching, those tips are great advice. I must add that when I went through my real itchy, big shed phase I started the Fat Flush Diet. I think my shed would have lasted longer except for the low carb, lean protein, liver cleaning supplement, flax seed oil, primrose oil and the additon of coq10.

Lisa