Sam's Hair Loss Story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Sam's Hair Loss Story

Post by HairLossFight.com » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:25 pm

I have been asked from time to time to provide my own story here. Many of you are already familiar with it through my various other postings in the forums and throughout the Morphollica.com website.

Since I've posted the info in various areas I'll provide you with links that tell the story... Sorry, but I'm a bit lazy. :S

My treatment goals

Products I've used throughout the years

My whole story with before and after pics

Some of this is a bit dated. At the moment I am just on Proscar 1.25mg per day. I've gone through a shedding phase from coming off of topicals due to my relatively recently diagnosed folliculitis condition. The shedding seems to be stabilizing and I hope to at least maintain what hair I have left with the Proscar.

Regards,
Sam
Last edited by HairLossFight.com on Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kakarot
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by kakarot » Mon May 09, 2005 1:09 am

Wow Sam, how old are you? The pics you have arent that bad at all, I thought your hairloss was alot worse its actually not from the pics I saw, Im gonna take pics of my hair and show you and you can decide yourself what kind of hair loss I have cause its not like yours and its kinda worse.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon May 09, 2005 9:22 pm

Hey Kakarot,

I'm 31. My hairs gotten signifantly worse since I took those pics. I think it would have been even WORSE if I didn't do everything I can to fight the hair loss though.

The pics don't show the extent of the hair loss because my hair is very black and thick. But if you look at my picture from when I was 19 you can see how significant my hairline and temple recession has been.

By all means show me your pictures. I'm not qualified to diagnose anyone obviously because I'm not a doctor, but I can give you my opinion on what I may THINK you have. ;)

Regards,
Sam

VancouverDude
Occasional Poster

Post by VancouverDude » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:18 pm

Picture link is broken, Sam.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Thanks VancouverDude. fixed now.

VancouverDude
Occasional Poster

Post by VancouverDude » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:17 am

I see significant improvement in Top Crown area, Sam.
But for some strange reasons, it seems like you have more hair in Month 4 picture then the most recent one.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:26 pm

An update on my situation:

Topicals I am currently using:

none (due to my folliculitis unfortunately)

Internals:

none (I stopped Propecia today. Not ready to explain why at this time, but rest assured that I wasn't experiencing any side-effects.)

So what am I currently using? The lasercomb only. If figure if things get bad enough I'll either shave my hair completely or maybe get a hair transplant.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Re: Sam's Hair Loss Story

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 am

It's been a long time since I posted an update so here it is:

What I am currently using:

lasercomb 2x per week
1.25mg finasteride (quarter of a proscar) 3x per week

In addition to these, I have been using a couple of supplements for my bodybuilding routine that are supposed to enhance your NO (nitric oxide) utilization in your body. NO is a gas that causes vascular expansion. It's useful for generating a good pump when you workout. What I have found as a very interesting side-effect is that I have started to get hairier arms and even fine hairs on my neck and back!!! I attribute this directly to the NO-based products I am using because the growth occurred over a one month period while I've been using the products. The products I am using are made by a company called MuscleTech:

NO-Explode and
Nano-X9

I thought I would mention them because I think the fact that I have made some lifestyle changes (working out consistently and eliminating simple carbs from my diet) have worked in conjunction with my treatments to virtually eliminate my hair loss.

And I no longer have folliculitis or acne on my scalp either. My scalp is healthier than it's ever been since I started losing my hair. Also I no longer have any itch or inflammation of the scalp!!!! This is huge for me.

Anyway, I think nowadays there are lots of things you can do to keep your hair and/or deal with lost hair if you suffer from androgenetic alopecia and even some forms of immune-related hair loss such as areata. It took me years to get to this point where I am finally happy with my situation to the point that it no longer hampers my self-esteem. The moral of the story is that if you're going through the hair loss doldrums in your life, keep your hopes up and try to find the modality that works best for you to fight it!

I think the following combo is the best combo:
  • an internal dht inhibitor (such has Propecia or Dut) (supervised by a qualified physician!)
    a laser product like the lasercomb
    elimination or vast reduction in simple carbs and a good lifestyle (I think this is a HUGE factor that adds to your overall strategy)
    lastly, a good topical, but I personally no longer use them because of the propensity my skin has to developing allergies
I plan on discussing the NO products I talked about above in more detail later. Stay-tuned.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:18 pm

Looks good Sam. What do you use to wash your hair with?

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Bump?

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 pm

Sorry I missed your question earlier. Currently I'm using head and shoulders. Nothing extravagant. ;)

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:14 am

Ok..but I find it odd you'd be able to use that but not any topicals :-s

H&S is a VERY harsh shampoo compared to even a lot of "unnatural" ones.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:09 am

I've never had a problem with shampoos. Only leave-in topicals have caused irritation for me in the past. I have no idea why other than that perhaps they stay on the skin longer than shampoos so more time for sensitivity to develop. I think that can be lessened or even eliminated with a good hypoallergenic topical that u don't have to use every day. That's another reason for why I want to develop a product.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:53 pm

It's been a while, but an update is definitely in order.

On April 10, 2008, I went under the scalpel at Hasson and Wong, lowered my hair line and had some crown work done.

I am now 3 months post-op. The recipient area is still very sparse, but starting to show promise. I will post some pics of the HT soon. The results, if all the grafts grow, should be pretty amazing.

I'm not using any topicals because my scalp is sensitive to pretty much anything I leave on it. I'm taking 1.25mg of finasteride once every other day as my only medication. My goal is just to maintain and keep what I have now.

I'll add some pics soon.

Sam

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Ever thought of using one of those Laser comb devices...or helmets? I'm getting more interested in the helmet versions..but gonna wait a bit and see.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:12 pm

I actually do use the hairmax lasercomb as often as I can. I use it for about an hour or so a session when I watch TV. This is because I'm learning that you need a fair bit of exposure to the laser light to get significant results.

I'm also following the whole LLLT (low level laser therapy) trend. I'm considering building a laser helmet or having one made. I've talked to OMG and a few others about this. Still thinking about it.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Ah...I was thinking it was James who used such a device.

And Hmmmmm..on your last part there. :-s