hardcastle's hair loss story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

hardcastle
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

hardcastle's hair loss story

Post by hardcastle » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi all. I'm 23 and a NW2 - M-shaped hairline, thinning in the crown area. I only figured out that I was losing my hair about seven months ago. I should have acted on it right then, I know, but the revelation really flattened me - I spent the next few months in a kind of denial where I didn't want to research options or deal with the issue. Not fun times.

Thanks to sites like this one, however, I've picked up hope to the point where I'm now devoted to doing whatever I can about this. What with all the treatments out there, I'm still trying to figure out which ones are best for me. I originally had hoped to avoid Propecia, but it sounds like the most effective option and hopefully any side effects won't be major ones.

I am still considering a regimen so if you have any suggestions or experiences to share, I'd really appreciate hearing about them. I'll keep you posted.

- Dave

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:28 pm

Hello and welcome,

Thanks for sharing your situation with us.

I think you're on the right track. I have been using Proscar (cut up into quarters) which is the same drug as Propecia, now exclusively for a couple of months, and as part of a more comprehensive regimen over the past few years. Currently all I am using is Proscar. It seems to be maintaining the hair for me and I am not seeing any side-effects (at least that I am aware of).

I think the combination of Propecia and a good Minoxidil containing treatment along with Nizoral Shampoo are a great combo. I also found Revivogen to be quite useful.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Sam

hardcastle
Occasional Poster

Post by hardcastle » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:14 pm

Thanks Sam. I'm glad to hear about the Proscar, as I was concerned about side effects. Who prescribed this for you, your general practitioner? Are you able to have this covered under your insurance plan?

Also, what kind of results have you gotten from Revivogen? It sounded promising, but I had the impression that it wasn't considered to be a proven treatment.

Gaga
Regular Poster

Post by Gaga » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:01 am

Welcome Dave,
You have found the right place. There are some nice and helpful guys on this forum and I am sure you will be getting all the help that you need.
Your doctor can prescribe you Proscar.
Proscar should be covered under any insurance plan as it is a treatment of prostate cancer.
But there might be some concerns from your insurance as you are too young :o
Mine is covered but again, I live in Europe.

The funniest things is;
The first time I went to the pharmacy to get Proscar I was asked by the assistant why the doctor gave me Proscar.
I asked her: why should I answer you?
She said: I need to know to register it in our data.
I said looking at all the customers that were in the pharmacy but at the same time did not know what to answer: very well, but why should I share my life story with all these people?
She then leaned over and whispered in my ears: is it for upstairs or downstairs?
DOWNSTAIRS, I answered :lol::lol:
I thought it was funny.
That is all.
Oh, good luck Dave.
Gaga
01 October 2004:
Proscar (1.5 mg)
MSM (2000 mg)
Green tea extract
Super B 50 Complex
Multivitamin
04 November 2004:
Dr. Lee's 5% Minoxidil Solution (2 X a day)
Nizoral 2% Shampoo 2X Week

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:52 am

:lol: That gave me a good laugh Gaga...

Gaga
Regular Poster

Post by Gaga » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:44 am

Yeah, I thought it was funny too.
When I got home that day I phoned a friend of mine who is a pharmacist and lives in another city and asked him what the deal was. He said that had I said it was for my hair she would have insisted that I take Propecia as 5mg would be too much and then I would have to pay for it out of my pocket. Good thing I lied :oops::D:oops:
I am not encouraging anyone to lie though :lol:
01 October 2004:
Proscar (1.5 mg)
MSM (2000 mg)
Green tea extract
Super B 50 Complex
Multivitamin
04 November 2004:

hardcastle
Occasional Poster

Post by hardcastle » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:48 pm

That's a good story, and I'm glad it worked out for you. Of course I'd like to have my insurance pay for Proscar - luckily, I haven't needed it to pay for anything else - but I don't know if I could get away with lying to a pharmacist. Like you said, I'm young enough that they would probably be suspicious. Also, if I ever switched insurance providers, I might have trouble getting coverage as the companies might think a twentysomething who already has prostate problems is going to be costly :)

Gaga
Regular Poster

Post by Gaga » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:09 am

Dave,
I felt bad in the beginning when my insurance was paying for my Proscar but I am like you I haven't needed it to pay for anything else. I thought, what the ***, I pay them a lot every months.
You can always try it.
What's the worst that can happen?
They will say NO. You are not losing anything.
If I ever switched insurance providers, I might have trouble getting coverage as the companies might think a twentysomething who already has prostate problems is going to be costly.
That you have to think about.
Cheers
01 October 2004:
Proscar (1.5 mg)
MSM (2000 mg)
Green tea extract
Super B 50 Complex
Multivitamin
04 November 2004: