sjm's hair loss story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

sjm
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

sjm's hair loss story

Post by sjm » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:19 am

I am a 52 year old male. I've been battling hair loss for over 30 years. You think by now at my age that it shouldn't matter, but it does! :P
I was one of the first to have a hair transplant (crown area) at age 21. Which of course was a mistake but back then it was the right thing to do. It helped only very little. I have been using Rogaine for 15 years with the last 5 years using 5% strength. I tried Propecia about 6 years ago but it did not seem to help. I stopped using Propecia 2 years ago and have recently (7 months) started again.

The most significant thing I am doing these days is using the Hairmax lasercomb. It has really helped me. I now have hair growth where there wasn't any hair (temple forehead area). My hair looks and feels better. I have been using the LC for 8 months. Maybe it is a combination of the LC and Propecia, but I really think the main help has been the LC.

I still have thin hair and not much of it but if I can keep and maybe grow a little more I will be very satisfied.

My full regimen:
Lasercomb 3 times a week (15 - 20 minute sessions)
Propecia
Rogaine (only at night)
Hairstimulator (almost every day, two 20 minute sessions)
Lysine (500 mg per day)

Eating more walnuts after reading other stories. I also eat or try to eat salmon twice a week. In general, try to eat healthy and exercise.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your story sjm.
I was one of the first to have a hair transplant (crown area) at age 21
Wow! At 21 years of age, 30 years ago. I hope that too much damage was not done! You were way too young and the procedure was in its infancy. That took a lot of guts on your part and it goes to show how much hair loss can effect someone that you were willing to risk getting a transplant back then at your age. Did you ever have to get a repair job done?

I'm glad to hear the lasercomb has worked for you so well. I'm still scraping some cash to buy one! :lol:

How do you know it's not the hair stimulator that's helping you?

I think your regimen overall is pretty good.

On a side note, a good friend of mine got a hair transplant at 58 years of age last year. He was a Norwood 6 on the Norwood scale and he has gone from that to a Norwood 3V after the transplant. The transplant looks really good. Here is a page with his photos at the 3 month mark: Robert's Transplant Pics. These pictures are a bit outdated because both the density and overall appearance has improved since he got the transplant. It has now been about a year since he got the transplant, and I recently saw him. The effect that transplant has had on his appearance and confidence are nothing short of a miracle if you ask me. I bring all this up so people know that a hair transplant with a good doctor today can produce amazing results pretty much at any age (although I wouldn't normally recommend anyone younger than 25 to consider transplants).

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,
Sam

sjm
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Post by sjm » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:04 am

Hi Sam,

First, I like too thank you for all the work you do to provide this forum.

No, I never got a repair job. I just comb my hair over the "damaged area". No, I will never get another transplant because it is very expensive, intrusive, and I am actually doing quite well in maintaining my hair.

I was really losing my hair very fast to the point I could not comb my hair anymore without showing a good deal of my scalp. Then I got the lasercomb and I started to grow new hair. I am now back to where I was able to cover most of my scalp. The hairstimulator device may be helping but it has only been a little over 3 months of use and that is why I know it has been mainly the lasercomb. Also my scalp was very itchy just prior to using the lasercomb. I do not have an itchy scalp any more! I think that may be the clue that indicates that the lasercomb is working for me.

I did forget to mention in my previous message that I also use Nisim shampoo. The significance here is that my hair used to be really oily and now it is normal and maybe on the dry side!

Sam, you mention that you are still trying to scrap up the money to buy a lasercomb but it really is the cheapest thing in the long run! Just think of the "stuff" you buy every month for your hair. The lasercomb is a one time (10 years anyway) payment. If you do the math, what is $5 a month for 10 years. What else costs $5 a month? If I were you I would purchase one now. My advice is that don't expect any real change for about 6 months and don't forget that new hair takes a long time to appear and grows slowly. You need to be patient.