JessRose Hair Loss Story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

JessRose
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Nothing yet...

JessRose Hair Loss Story

Post by JessRose » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi everyone. I'm 45, female, and had a whole bunch of diffuse hair loss a year or so ago that turned out to be from severe anemia. I got my iron up and my hair slowly started coming back, but about 3 months ago it started falling out a lot again, and now it's very thin on the whole top of my head. I got blood tests for iron (came back normal) and went to a dermatologist. I told him my family history: my mother, at 67, has thinning hair. Her older sister has hair that is VERY thin on the top of her head. And my dad was totally bald on top by age 30.

The dermatologist looked at my hair and said I have a lot of miniaturization. I wanted him to do a biopsy so I could get a definitive diagnosis (androgenetic vs. some other cause) but he wouldn't do it because he says it's very difficult to get a lab to process a hair biopsy properly, that the way the labs want to do it doesn't give useful results. So he said it is most likely androgenetic, but that I should get tested for thyroid and lupus. He says sometimes people have lupus and have no other symptoms except hair loss. So I guess now I have to make another appt with my regular Dr. and get checked for lupus and thyroid. I am bummed that I couldn't get a definitive diagnosis from the dermatologist...that's the whole reason I went to him. Oh, the one other thing he said was to use minoxidil: he said it never worked for men but that it works well for women.

So, I am planning to start Capillogain, since it has a minoxodil-like ingredient in a less-irritating vehicle and has some other stuff in it that looks useful.

Wish me luck...