I don't know if my doctor is doing the right things

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

BarbyS
Hair Loss Type: Other
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Spiro...., Glycolic Shampoo and Conditioner everyday, plus many vitamins and minerals.

I don't know if my doctor is doing the right things

Post by BarbyS » Sun May 13, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi,

I am new here. My hair has been thinning for almost a year. The only thing my dermatologist asked me is if I had any surgery in the past year. One month before the last year I had my ovaries removed. He explained that I was short on testosterone because of this. But he didn't ask me about my thyroid, or if I had lost a lot of weight (which I had in the last year - 16 pounds) or if I had been under any stress (which I had), he just quickly looked at my scalp and wrote me a prescription for Spironolactone and explained that it was the female version of Propecia. Then he very casually as I was leaving said, "Oh, you should have a kit of shampoo and conditioner and use it every day." Well, this floored me because I only wash my hair every 4 to 5 days (it is curly and curly hair doesn't get oily fast); however, I make it straight with a flat iron and the process takes about 1 and 1/2 hours to 2 hours! So every day, which I have been doing for 4 days now has been killing me! I tried letting it air dry curly, and it has gotten so thin that you can see through the curls and it looks so horrible that I wouldn't leave the house that way! The other way, I'm going to fry my hair. Oh, by the way, the kit (which includes the vitamins, costs $55.00), and I know that washing my hair every day I'm going to go through that shampoo and conditioner in about 2 weeks. It's going to cost me a lot. I'll do it if this is the correct protocol for losing hair, but I don't know if it is!

So, I don't know what to do if what he is telling me to do is accurate. I am going to call and try to get into another dermatologist to get a second opinion. Has anyone else been told to do this?

Thank you.

yanyan911
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Treatment Regimen: propecia : 0.5 mg daily
minoxidil 2% : on temples 2x/day
nizoral 1% : once a week
Tricomin : everyday

Re: I don't know if my doctor is doing the right things

Post by yanyan911 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:08 am

Hello,

Just wash your hair everyday, no shampoo will have any effect on genetic baldness, witch i suppose you have if your doc prescribed u spiro.
Use a shampoo like t/gel or Nizoral if u got dandruff, but not more than 2 times a week, the rest of the time use a very gentle shampoo when needed.
For your hair, the fact that u have low test should help with AAG, i don't see how it would increase your loss. Anyway, check for ferritin levels, i think it could be
an issue especially if you changed your diet recently.

Now, something else u could to complete your regiment would be minoxidil (Rogain) 2%, not the 5%. Hope you'll be fine.

p.s : stop wasting money in useless expensive sets of shampoos, and try not to iron your hair everyday, it will dry your scalp, witch can cause dandruff and more
loss.

Have a good day.

yanyan911
Occasional Poster
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Treatment Regimen: propecia : 0.5 mg daily
minoxidil 2% : on temples 2x/day
nizoral 1% : once a week
Tricomin : everyday

Re: I don't know if my doctor is doing the right things

Post by yanyan911 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:15 am

Sorry for the mistake, at the beginning of my poste i said Just wash your hair everyday, it's a mistake, i wanted to tell you u just need to wash it when it's oily, or u feel it's needed. Everyday wont change anything to AAG.

Tx