Any help or advice, or kind words would be appreciated. I'm so lost.

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

chhd87
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: None as of yet.

Any help or advice, or kind words would be appreciated. I'm so lost.

Post by chhd87 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi,

My name is Carly, I'm 24 and live in England. I have been experiencing diffuse hair loss for 2-4 months. I find it hard to pinpoint when it really started...

I lose over 300 hairs when I shower, and so far today about 150. Other people can't really notice but I definitely can. I think there may be more thinning around the top and the crown but I'm not sure.

I've been to a few different doctors about it but the first 2 were awful, they just dismissed me completely, said it was probably stress and sent me on my way. One had me in tears from her rude and sarcastic comments about how I should probably think about not colouring my hair because maybe hair colour has damaged it permanently. As if I haven't already worried about colouring my hair!

So then I went and registered with a different doctor's surgery and had an appointment with a young male doctor. I can't say he was completely on board but he is slightly more willing to investigate and I have just had bloods taken for thyroid function and iron levels and I'm going back to see him next week.

I have had 'borderline' hypothyroid test results for the past 4 years and often get tired and run down and find it difficult to lose weight, but no doctor has been willing to treat me for it. My mum has PCOS so that's worrying me too but I haven't yet brought that up with my doctor.

I am relatively healthy although am not always very active at the moment because I have so much university work to do so am stuck sat down with my laptop and books most of the time!

As for stress, well its definitely a possible cause...I'm in my final year of university and the course isn't going very smoothly. I had a particularly stressful 8 weeks from Jan to March on teaching placement. My dad has also been diagnosed with lung cancer but the hair loss may have started before that.

The hair loss also seems to coincide with colouring my hair at home...but I have been in contact with a trichologist via email who thinks it very unlikely it would be down to the hair colour as I had absolutely no reaction at the time of application, and is much more likely to be down to stress of something internal.

I have a slight dilema now as I haven't coloured my hair for 2 months and as it is mousey brown dyed dark red as you can imagine the roots look pretty silly. I also have a ridiculous amount of white hairs growing, more so probably in the last 6 months which again I don't need at 24. The roots attract attention to my parting which is beginning to look more sparse or wider I'm not sure. I wish I could have my hair coloured close to my natural colour and highlighted like I used to - lighter hair wouldn't be such a stark contrast against my pale scalp and never used to look bad when it grew out so i didn't highlight it very often.

My hair loss has me in tears most days and I'm sure many of you are experiencing far worse and I'm sorry for that, but for me this is still very difficult to deal with.

If anyone has any kind words to share with me or any advice (particularly about getting my hair coloured) I would be so grateful.

buddenbrooks
Treatment Regimen: At various times !: Aveda Invati range, Dr Bronners Castile soap, Phytolium4, various Caffeine / Keto shampoos... Still have good coverage after 30 years fighting hair loss.

Re: Any help or advice, or kind words would be appreciated. I'm so lost.

Post by buddenbrooks » Tue May 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Carly

I'm not too knowledgeable about female hair loss, but after many years dealing with my own (male) hair loss and dodgy scalp (!) I can offer some basic general advice. I live in London, UK so I have a good idea what's available here.

Colour your hair with a non amonia gentle colourant... It'll make your hair look better and make you feel better too. I do. Start using some good quality shampoos (Nothing for sale in Tesco, Sainsbury etc, is any good). Try "Phyto" products (available in John Lewis) they offer a fantastic range of high quality, plant based, shampoos and therapies that will definitely help your scalp and hair. Get a good quality vitamin brand, like tricologic (other brands are available lol) http://www.vitabiotics.com/Tricologic/woman.aspx, Take a look in Planet Organic in Westbourne Park. They hold a great stock of "Jason" and "Avalon" Organics shampoos, which are good for "rotational" use as they dont contain harsh chemicals. Thats a start... good luck and remember you are not alone !

Jacob, can you advise this lady in distress ??

buddenbrooks
Treatment Regimen: At various times !: Aveda Invati range, Dr Bronners Castile soap, Phytolium4, various Caffeine / Keto shampoos... Still have good coverage after 30 years fighting hair loss.

Post by buddenbrooks » Tue May 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Also see what the results of your bloods say, as thyroid problems can cause hair loss in females..

buddenbrooks

Post by buddenbrooks » Sat May 19, 2012 8:46 am

:-s HMmm re the above post from "Phyto Shampoo". Good products for sure, but Phyto doesn't need a company "plant" (pardon the pun) to big them up... There is a lot of info in the archive about all sorts of products (e.g. I didnt know that one of the most promising ingredients in any hair loss treatment are apple stem cells) and lots of sound tips and advice, so please take some time to look through and do post how things are going.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Sun May 20, 2012 4:06 pm

Post was deleted. I don't know what it is with these clowns that post their links in their posts...I guess they much get away with it enough to make it worth a try ..

JessRose
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Treatment Regimen: Nothing yet...

Post by JessRose » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:44 pm

Try to find an endocrinologist who has a reputation for treating people who test normal but are actually low. They are out there...you have to find them by word of mouth. Ask all your girlfriends if they know a good thyroid doc...if you are like me you will be surprised how many have had the same problem!