I Am So Depressed From Losing My hair

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

hope423
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

I Am So Depressed From Losing My hair

Post by hope423 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:12 pm

This whole blogging thing is completely new to me. But it's sort of the only place I can talk about my hair loss. I have no friends, because I'm in a very bad marriage and my husband is a huge control freak. I haven't had even one friend in about 6 years. The only people I see are my family and people here and there at my community college. Yes, I am young, 21. So this past 6 months has been very hard for me. I hope to find people going through the same thing so I can get to the root of the problem and figure out what's wrong with me. SO here goes. It all started about Oct. of 2011. I noticed I was losing a good bit of hair in the shower. I have always lost a lot, but it's never been noticeable. My whole life I'v had a lot of hair, fine, but thick. And so when I started to notice that it was getting thinner it freaked me out. I noticed it first in the front near my temples. It's just like little baby hairs. Well, it started to spread farther back. But it's been almost 6months now and it's still not really bad. But anyways, around Jan. or Feb. my head started to itch like crazy. It would just itch in random spots all of the sudden. I would scratch and scratch. And I got some little red spots from it I believe. But I stopped and they went away. Around that same time that it started itching, I started using Pantene Provine. I don't think that's what caused it, but just throwing it out there. So moving on. For the past several months it has been getting much thinner, mainly around the nape of my neck, and here recently the crown of my head. My part has extended a little down the back of my head. I also have developed dandruff, which I have never ever had in my life. It's not the oily type, but just like dry scalp. It's not too bad, some days worse than others. The other day I decided to take pictures of the back of my head, because it was hurting really bad. It felt like someone was tugging on my hair, or like it was bruised. When I seen the pictures, I was so scared... My crown is balding. The part is widening and I can just see little parts of scalp in between hairs. It's only really noticeable right there. But I can feel it underneath too. It hurts most of the time now. And I can't ever wear my hair up, because of that. It's so thin and also it has gotten to be dull and lifeless, unlike my usual hair before. I thank God every day that I still have most of my hair, but I still am very scared of losing it all. And I fear that I will. Because every time I wash my hair, it falls out. Mainly when I put conditioner in. When I grab it and kind of run the water out of it, it just comes out like 10-15 hairs at a time. It will do that several times before no more falls out. I probably lose about 100 when I wash it. So I started to be a lot more gentle. And that has seemed to help a little. But still, some days it falls out even when I don't pull on it to rinse it. I don't know if you guys know what I mean. I have pretty long hair. So I kind of ring it out by gently squeezing towards the bottom that way I don't pull on the roots. But like I said, it still falls out sometimes. I have tried using leave in conditioners, detanglers and they help, but it still falls out. After I get out of the shower, I brush it very gently, and it STILL falls out. It does it the entire time I dry my hair until it's dry. So I don't know what's going on with me. I have been very stressed for quite a long time now, probably 6 years. And go through little moments of depression, but I never stay that way for more than a week. I have a four year old, so I have motivation to stay positive. And I'm working on my nursing degree so I can get out of this unhealthy marriage. I do think that all the stress I'v been under for so long could have caused this. But I'm not sure. And I'v also thought it could be hereditary. My dad is bald on most parts of his head except the sides above his ears, kind of like bozo the clown. lol. He lost most of it when he turned 20. So anyways....I am in desperate need for some answers, and people to relate to. I am so alone. And since I'v taken those pictures I have been obsessed with the whole thing. I'v been searching for wigs and everything. I'm getting extremely depressed. I try to be happy, but I just can't get it out of my head. And to make it worse, it hurts, which constantly reminds me that I'm losing my hair. I really hope that people will respond to this, because I need help or someone to talk to, encouragement, anything! Thank you to all of you who will respond and I hope we can somehow figure this whole hair loss thing out.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Re: I Am So Depressed From Losing My hair

Post by Jacob » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey hope423..welcome to Hairlossfight and so sorry to hear about your situation. Have you had your thyroid checked and had other health issues ruled out? There are some pages out there, including this: http://www.womenshairlossproject.com/ha ... ess-story/

If you have the time, and if you haven't already, please check out the topicals and supplements being discussed here as well. Good luck and keep us posted- feel free to ask any questions you may have.

jasperraff

Post by jasperraff » Sun May 20, 2012 2:22 am

I also felt depressed when I first found out but then again depression leads to more hair loss. I started thinking it's my hair and not my life that I am losing so I fight against those criticizing me. Life goes on. :) Cheer up!

Kate Russell
Regular Poster

Post by Kate Russell » Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 pm

Thats pretty sad, try oiling ...

cindy07
Regular Poster

Post by cindy07 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:11 am

Rogaine is not a bad medication, however it really doesn’t work all that well in most cases of female hair loss. Other options include laser light therapy, and having a medical work up to make sure that there is not a treatable cause such as anemia or low thyroid levels contributing to the hair loss.The mineral iron helps increase circulation in the scalp as well, which then fuels hair growth. Foods that are high in iron include liver, apricots and raisins.