A very important question about Minoxidil

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

hairykrishna2411
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood I
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Minoxidil 5% solution, twice a day
Propecia regular pill, once a day

A very important question about Minoxidil

Post by hairykrishna2411 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:14 am

Hi everyone, I have a serious question regarding the use of Minoxidil. Bear with me, I'll be as brief as I can!

I've been using the Minoxidil 5% solution for the past three months and I am happy to say I have noticed a small improvement in the thickness of my hairline, which is the area I was applying it to. Note that this is only because I've been applying it to my forehead exactly as instructed since beginning the programme - once every morning, and once every evening.

But after reading some reviews of this product, it unsettles me to learn that Minoxidil can cause wrinkles on the forehead, and red, bloodshot eyes. I have been experiencing these symptoms in the past month or so, and I am convinced it is due to the Minoxidil - I had a fresh face before and this is no longer so much the case.

Because of this, I have decided to stop taking the medication, but I don't want to "shock" my body by ditching the product cold turkey. I want to come off the Minoxidil gradually, over a series of weeks, reducing my use to once every evening, then once every OTHER evening, then twice a week, once a week, then finally cease using it altogether. My hope is that within this period my body will adapt to the change in routine and revert back to its original state.

If this results in my hairline returning to its original appearance, this is a sacrifice I am willing to make. I cannot risk having wrinkles at the age of 24. But my question is, how long should I give myself to fully wean myself off the treatment, and is there a risk that, however slowly I might do so, my hairline will actually recede FURTHER back than was previously the case?

Many thanks for your help; any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I desperately need some advice. Please, help!

bmartin1134
Norwood Level: Norwood IV
Treatment Regimen: DMSO/ Allantoin / Phosphatidylserine Daily in the morning

Re: A very important question about Minoxidil

Post by bmartin1134 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:36 pm

I think the minoxidil is most likely built up in your system and even if you cut cold turkey it would continue to be present for a while, maybe a couple of days. Cut down to 2 applications every other day for a week and then down to 1 application every other day and then get off of it. I don't think the hairline will recede further than it was before but will continue along its normal course.

xonflame
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Treatment Regimen: Medical Grade Minoxidil 5%+Azeliac Acid 15%

Post by xonflame » Thu May 09, 2013 6:55 am

You haven't specified which brand of minoxidil you're using . Most commercial brands of minoxidil like Rogain , contain a toxic ingredient called PROPYLENE GLYCOL . It can build up in your system and cause kidney & liver damage as well as being an extremely bad for your health & skin . Yes, it does help in hair growth , but at what cost ? You must STOP using the branded minoxidil you're using IMMEDIATELY & start using the MEDICAL GRADE MINOXIDIL 5% + Azeliac Acid 15% , readily found on eBay . .Like me , you've obviously developed an allergy to the Propylene Glycol . I'm speaking from experience , so read my Post in the GENERAL HAIRLOSS DISCUSSIONS FORUM titled "WARNING" ...posted today .

JessRose
Occasional Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Female Pattern Baldness)
Treatment Regimen: Nothing yet...

Post by JessRose » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:25 pm

You could also try Capillogain which has an ingredient that is closely related to minoxidil but in very low doses. Supposedly they use an encapulated delivery system which allows the very low dose to be effective, while cutting down on the side effects. And it has no propylene glycol. You can check out the thread about Capillogain on this forum under the Experimental And/Or Alternate Treatments and Product Discussions heading.