lost.hair.lost.youth's story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster
Hair Loss Type: Other
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Have you had a hair transplant?: No
Treatment Regimen: Nizoral 2% 2x/week started on May-2011.
Finasteride 1.25g 6x/week started Oct-2011.
Minoxidil 5% 7x/week started on Nov-2011.

lost.hair.lost.youth's story

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:15 pm

Once upon a time (11 years ago or so), there was a 17 year old boy with a full head of amazing black thick hair, that used hair gel to make it stylish as hell.
If you picked a crowd of 1000 males arround the same age and voted on who had the most number of hairs... he was in top 10 for sure.
As time passed by and he got older (at about 18) he noticed that we was losing lots of hair at every hair wash. He thought that it might be of the hair gel and so he stopped using it and started trimming his hair with the hope of it getting stronger.
It never did, and the amount of hair just kept on decreasing.
He did not understood because he always had a head full of thick strong hair, as well as his dad (which at over 50 still has!).

Moments of anxiety and depression followed through out the years and he noticed that he was getting balder and there was nothing he could do about it, since there is no cure for hair loss.
It was naive of him, because there are treatments that do slow it down... but the skeptic of him thought it was all snake oil. Still, that was a time were internet and world wide information was not so easily accessible as it is now.

That boy, was my neighbour! Because I still have all my hair!!!! :twisted:

No I'm just kidding, it's me... and I feel that my best years were lost because of it (self-confidence and all that)
:cry:

I never used anything seriously, because it was hard to see any results and I always had that idea stuck in my mind that "there is no cure for it". And on the other hand, I never did it when I needed the most, when I suffered from severe shedding. Nor did I had the attitude of "there may not be any cure, but at least let me slow it down", which is a shame.

Are we close to curing balness? Not yet. Not yet by a long margin since that would involve reprogramming your DNA (hello end of diseases and hello eternal youth and all that).
But I firmly believe that stem-cell-cloning-thingy-approach is going to fix it.
Cloning the hair follicules at the back of your head (which are different from the ones that go bald) and placing them at the bald spots is going to fix it. Yes, I think we are close. But if it's 1 year or 5, I can not tell.

Not much else that I add here...
I'll see if I can submit a picture of my hair (or what is left of it) and ask the opinion of the experts (*cough* Jacob *cough*) on which topicals I should start using.
ohh... and my scalp is very oily, itchy and suffers from that type of skin shedding (when you scratch and those white flakes pop out -- I can't recall the name)
I've tried different shampoos but I was never able to fix this. I've read some things about Nizoral shampoo in the forum. I think I'll try it.

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster

Re: lost.hair.lost.youth's story

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm

*sigh* where is the edit button?
lost.hair.lost.youth wrote:I'll see if I can submit a picture of my hair (or what is left of it) and ask the opinion of the experts (*cough* Jacob *cough*) on which topicals I should start using.
I'll see if I can submit a picture of my hair (or what is left of it) and ask the opinion of the experts (*cough* Jacob *cough*) on which topicals I should start using.
I've been lurking on these forums for some weeks and I've read about some interesting topicals (elsom, crescina, A&G, lamas, thymosin beta 4, regeron), but I'm not sure what would be the best for me.

My hair loss pattern is somewhat different from the Norwood scales.
I've got hair all over the right places, the problem is that at the top of the head I have experienced (during these 10 years) "random" hair loss/thinning. I don't have a "bald spot" so to speak.

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Hey lost.hair.lost.youth..welcome to the forums- good to see you posting instead of just lurking \:D/

The edit button is at the top-middle-right of your posts.

"Experts" :lol: Ask me and I'll point you to 5 different topicals and tell you to stick with something for a good year. I do think some of these newer products are worth trying though.

I too wish I had started using things that could have prevented or at least slowed down my hairloss- back in my teens-early 20's.

3rdin2horserace
Occasional Poster
Treatment Regimen: Super Zix twice a day

Post by 3rdin2horserace » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:45 am

Jacob would you care to mention a few of the newer products that you think are worth a shot.

Jacob
Prolific Poster

Post by Jacob » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Dermatopoietin Hair Protection System
Lamas Scalp Serum
Pristeen Nanolipo-hGH
Bioclin Phydrium- Stimucap
Thymosin beta 4
Dermaheal
Phyto- Phytolium®4
Crescina Stem Re-Growth

lost.hair.lost.youth
Seasoned Poster

Post by lost.hair.lost.youth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:46 am

some pics of my beautiful hair:

front view
top view away
top view close (you can see the small hairs and some really thin hairs too)

I don't even know what baldness condition I have, or what is my baldness pattern. Can anyone tell?

I've always had very sebaceous hair and for a very long time I also moderate/severe dandruff.
The dandruff problem seems to be controlled (it just stopped) but the seborrhea production on my head hasn't stopped.

So I was thinking on buying the Nizoral champoo, the weakest version.
And also using 2 hair growth/strengthening products (using each one on different days or while during the rest period of one of the products).
Given my hair status, which ones would you advise?
The stem cells and HGH products are ear catching, but I don't want to fall into some pitfall.

Oh, one last thing, I'm in Europe, so they should at least ship here.