Schwinning's Story (an introduction)

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

schwinning
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood V
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Schwinning's Story (an introduction)

Post by schwinning » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:07 am

With all the new social media out there, it's become even more crucial as a doctor to be involved online. I figured I would share my own personal story both as a hair transplant surgeon and professional and as a patient who has had the procedure myself and gone through the dilemma of deciding on hair transplantation.

Deciding on hair restoration surgery can be daunting. With all the information available about varying hair loss solutions, not to mention the number of seemingly prolific hair loss clinics, it can be overwhelming. What to do and where to go is a decision that should be weighed carefully, my hope is to share some of my own personal experiences and knowledge and perhaps shed some light or at least help clear away some of the hair loss information clutter.

I started losing my hair in my 30s and while everyone has a different way of coping I think the experience of hair loss is common, the realization that the passage of time has very definitive consequences mixed with a changing physical appearance can be, while not necessary overwhelming for everyone, definitely impactful.

For me the decision was pretty clear, some call it vanity, but hair loss has a very definitive social connotation and it wasn't one that I felt fit me. Not to mention the fact that I had an interest in pursuing hair restoration surgery as a career; so it's not without a degree of bias I suppose that I decided to have the procedure, but I have never regretted it and have found it fulfilling both personally and to say the least physically.

I know what it's like to experience the loss of one's hair and I also know the difference hair transplants can make in a person's life, no matter what their reasons for pursuing hair transplantation. The life altering experiences I have been privy to with my patients is one that I'm honored and feel privileged to be a part of. To hear a 19 year patient call me at the beginning of his college semester to thank me for how much a difference the procedure made; the elderly woman who smiles at her reflection; even the guy who says he doesn't see any difference only to be shocked at how bald he was in his before picture. These are the moments that I recall with a smile.

Whatever path you choose for yourself, be it hair transplantation surgery or another hair loss alternative it's a decision that should be weighed carefully. Aside from results, short term vs long term costs can be a big factor and meeting with a doctor personally is invaluable, giving you an opportunity to ask questions and discuss your concerns. Get to know your surgeon, large clinics that rely on sales people have their pros and cons. For me, I like to meet with each patient. I like the personal nature of the job and I run a small office that focuses on the individual, that's my choice and preference.

The best thing you can do in moving forward is to gather as much information as possible, talk to people, most hair clinics will provide you with patients who are willing to share their stories, and of course forums! They take out the obvious bias that a patient may have with their given clinic/doctor.

I hope my story has been helpful and of course if one has any questions, feel free to contact me at john@hairsurgical.com or visit my site http://www.hairsurgical.com. Best, John

Kate Russell
Regular Poster
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Re: Schwinning's Story (an introduction)

Post by Kate Russell » Wed May 28, 2014 11:18 pm

John... interesting story my friend..! O:)