lualua's Story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

lualua
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

lualua's Story

Post by lualua » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:39 pm

Hello everybody. When I first started researching hair loss I came across millions of websites promoting a million different types of remedies. Needless to say I was confused and discouraged. It was great to find morphollica which is simply a great site. Way to go.

Anyhow, I recently noticed a slight receding in the temporal section and a low degree of thinning on top. Im just terrified about the possibilities of going bald, have heard that the sooner you start the better, and so here I am. I apologize if some of these questions have been asked/answered before.

My questions are as follows:

1) Very basically, what currently is the best "cocktail" of products that i can be using the keep the hair that i have? I am currently using 5% Kirkland minox, revivogen, and alternating between a nizoral and another shampoo called Therapro Bioclenz shampoo. Ive been using these products for about 5 weeks and have noticed, after initial increased shedding, a dramatic lessening of hair loss (ie, in the shower, on the pillow, etc). I have ordered Xandrox 15 and intend to start applying that as soon as i receive it. Is there any reason that I shouldnt begin to use the Xandrox 15 at this early stage? I read the reason that Dr. Lee listed on his website, to include increased shedding, but it seems as though since I have already gone through the shedding stage with my 5% minox, then how could it hurt to jump right into the Xandrox?

--Given the fact that I dont want to start taking propecia, is there anything else that i can be doing currently to maintain the hair that I have? Has anybody had any success with advertised "herbal" propecia?

-- I also just read about a product called Nevis. Sounds to good to be true. Has anybody had any success with this product?

-- Sam, I have taken my regimin pretty much exactly from you. I see the dosages that you use, but at what intervals do you apply? Can I for instance apply revivogen and minoxidil together. When I begin to use the Xandrox should this change? how would you recommend that I apply all of these products throughtout the day.

Sorry to have started off with such a bang here, but I really do appreciate the website and look at it as a great resource. Thank you very much. Kind regards.

maddoc23
Occasional Poster

Post by maddoc23 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:11 pm

I would suggest using propecia as this has proven results behind it. If you decide to stick with revivogen and minoxidil then you will be applying 3 topicals per day, and you will be more likely to be less adherent to your regimen.

D

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:43 pm

Hello lualua and welcome!

Thanks for your compliment on the site, and for your great questions. I just wanted to let you know that I am not ignoring you. I am a bit busy at the moment, but I will try to have your questions answered by the end of the day.

Regards,
Sam

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:21 am

Okay, again, I apologize for the late response. It's been a very busy week but I finally found some time to answer your questions.
Anyhow, I recently noticed a slight receding in the temporal section and a low degree of thinning on top. Im just terrified about the possibilities of going bald, have heard that the sooner you start the better, and so here I am. I apologize if some of these questions have been asked/answered before.
No need to apologize!
My questions are as follows:

1) Very basically, what currently is the best "cocktail" of products that i can be using the keep the hair that i have? I am currently using 5% Kirkland minox, revivogen, and alternating between a nizoral and another shampoo called Therapro Bioclenz shampoo. Ive been using these products for about 5 weeks and have noticed, after initial increased shedding, a dramatic lessening of hair loss (ie, in the shower, on the pillow, etc). I have ordered Xandrox 15 and intend to start applying that as soon as i receive it. Is there any reason that I shouldnt begin to use the Xandrox 15 at this early stage? I read the reason that Dr. Lee listed on his website, to include increased shedding, but it seems as though since I have already gone through the shedding stage with my 5% minox, then how could it hurt to jump right into the Xandrox?
Best cocktail:
Required items: Minox 5% (minimum concentration), as a growth stimulator -- A topical DHT-inhibitor/anti-androgen or an internal one (don't use Propecia if you're a woman unless prescribed by a doctor) -- A sebum busting shampoo.

In my opinion using 1.5ml of minox 5% in the morning and 1ml of Xandrox 15 at night takes care of the minox component of the regimen. I don't really recommend that you Xandrox 15 more than once per day as per Dr. Lee's recommendations.

I think that as far as a well-known product for DHT-inhibition and anti-androgen goes, Revivogen is a great choice. If you can get your hands on high-concentration linoleic-acid, that's another good choice, but this is hard to find. Topical Spironolactone is another good choice, but since using Revivogen I see no need personally in using the topical Spiro. Some people use both, but I think that's overkill. I believe its possible to stress the skin by applying too many products.

Nizoral should be used a few times a week. I've got it down to 2. I have personally found the anti-septic shampoo, Tersaseptic, to be an excellent addition to my regimen. It has virtually completely eliminated a problem I have had for years called seborrheic dermatitis, and my scalp itch that I had for years is totally gone.

Optional items for your regimen: Tricomin, Folligen, Emu Oil, a variety of anti-dandruff shampoos.

Most important rule: KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!!!! If you do too many things you will eventually give up and that can be disheartening. If you keep your regimen simple, making sure you cover the basic areas I discussed above, you are likely to keep going with your regimen and turn it into a habit, thereby increasing your chances of success.

SO in short, the best cocktail in my opinion is:

Minox 5% 1.5ml once a day
Revivogen 1ml once a day and/or propecia/proscar 1mg once a day
Xandrox 15 1ml once a day (I use it at night time)
Nizoral shampoo twice or three times per week, alternating with another shampoo or two of your preference.

--Given the fact that I dont want to start taking propecia, is there anything else that i can be doing currently to maintain the hair that I have? Has anybody had any success with advertised "herbal" propecia?
There is no such thing as herbal propecia. I would use Revivogen if I were you. It's great for maintenance and it absorbs very well leaving very little (if any) residue.
-- I also just read about a product called Nevis. Sounds to good to be true. Has anybody had any success with this product?
If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.
-- Sam, I have taken my regimin pretty much exactly from you. I see the dosages that you use, but at what intervals do you apply? Can I for instance apply revivogen and minoxidil together. When I begin to use the Xandrox should this change? how would you recommend that I apply all of these products throughtout the day.

Lately, I have not been applying anything in the morning because the quality of my hair has improved enough that I don't want any products in it when I go out or go to work. I will typically apply the minox when I get home from work, and the revivogen and Xandrox before bedtime nowadays. I will apply revivogen first, wait about 10 minutes then apply the Xandrox. I find that the Revivogen is fully absorbed and does not in any way hinder the Xandrox application.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Remember, KEEP IT SIMPLE, stay persistent, and you'll get results. A person like yourself with a lot of hair still can really maintain it by doing the best they can to be consistent with a good regimen early in the game.

Good luck!

Sam

lualua

Beta Sitosterol and Enlarged Prostate and Links to balding

Post by lualua » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:43 pm

Thanks for your thorough response Sam. It has given me some confidence that I, aside from adding propecia, am doing basically all that I can to hold on to what I have.

To change topics, and to "arm chair" doctor a bit if I may, in doing research on how Propecia (Finasteride) functioned, I learned of the similarities that the conditions Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) (enlarged Prostate) and Androgenetic Alopecia (MPB) share. It is widely known that both are affected by the processes of the prostate and the ability of the 5AR enzyme to convert testosterone into DHT, a major culprit in hair loss and enlarged prostate, and the latter of course being what Finasteride was orginally developed to combat.

In reading further, I was struck by the fact that I (sorry if this is getting too personal!) aside from suffering from the beginnings of MPB, was also suffering from, news to me, many of the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Keeping in mind how Propecia works, this made sense. In attempting to research it further, I was never able find any other research that made this, what I at least thought was interesting, link between the two conditions. Like advice such as if you are suffering from MPB, maybe you should take extra precautions with the care of your prostate?

-- Are there others out there that are also suffering from these two conditions? (Once again, sorry to be so forward)

Anyhow, with this, I began to search for treatments of BPH and was led the naturally occuring plant derivative Beta Sitosterol (a primary ingredient in Saw Palmetto with no known side effects) which much like the process that Finasteride uses to combat MPB, has been widely shown to positively, and even superior to Fin, affect the symptoms of BPH by combating the conversion of Testosterone to DHT. (Finasteride has also been shown to affect the actual size of the enlarged Prostate, while Beta Sitosterol has not however.) This connection is no secret, as many sites on the web have made this claims that Beta Sitosterol could help MPB, and there is at least one product (I forgot which one) and probably several that use it as an ingredient in MPB treatments. I was also able to find on the web a study that attempted to study Beta Sitosterol and its affect on MPB. Although small, this study, which claimed to be the first of its kind, came up with a very positive (60 %) improvement in MPB by those taking Beta Sitosterol in the 24 week time period in those that took part in the study. Although more tests were indicated, I can find no further evidence that any were done.

So my confusion is to why this possible and encouraging link seemingly has not been researched further?

-- Has anybody tried relatively high levels of Beta Sitosterol (available in many OTC BPH medicines) as a possible "Propecia like" treatment of their balding?

So my thinking is, knowing the fact that balding is caused by many factors and sensitivity to DHT on the scalp (as well as in the prostate) is only one, and given the fact that (I assume) not everybody who suffers from MPB also has an enlarged prostate, and lastly that Propecia has varying degrees of effectiveness, is it possible that suffering from both BPH and MPB be indicative of higher responsiveness to Beta Sitosterol and/or Propecia? And that those who dont respond well to Propecia as a treatment are also most likely those that are not suffering from the symptoms of BPH, and whose MPB could be linked to another factor?

Is this as clear as mud or what? I think that I even confused myself! Anyhow, if you happened to understand, I would love to hear comments. To me it seems like Beta Sitosterol is a possible viable option and something that I will try and keep you posted. I apologize if this subject has already been discussed on the site. Thanks again.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:04 am

Wow, long post there lualua! :D

You raise some interesting questions. I have not done a lot of research into Beta Sisterol myself yet, but perhaps now is the time. Another thing to add to the to-do list! Anyway, I'm also curious if anyone else has used, or is using Beta Sisterol to treat their hair loss.

You mentioned a study on it. Do you have a link to this study?

Regards,
Sam

melchiangmai
Regular Poster

Post by melchiangmai » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:33 am

Hi Guys!
Just FYI, Beta Sisterol is actually in the Revivogen products. I'll be getting Revi really soon. Been saying this for 3 months! (living overseas but will send them my credit card info).

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin

Post by HairLossFight.com » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:31 pm

You're right melchangmai! I'd completely forgotten that. I don't think it's necessarily the most important ingredient in Revivogen though. I think the fatty acids are more important.

Sam