goten574's Story

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

goten574
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood II
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

goten574's Story

Post by goten574 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi, I just wanted to post my story of hair loss...

All males on both sides of my family have moderate to major hair loss which usually starts in the early 20's. It was only a matter of time before I would experience this horror and sure enough I noticed my hair thinning at the vertex in November 2008 when I was 22. I did simple things that may help with my hair at the start, such as changing shampoo, and treating my hair more carefully after a hair wash. Ever since then, I think about my hair every day, and it's really depressing. I don't want to lose my hair so I did weeks of research on the matter and signed up to Hairloss Talk forum (name goten574). I have really learnt so much about hair and believe it's more than just DHT that's causing hair loss with people suffering from male pattern baldness.

I understood there are many remedies that are not proven to work but I like to experiment. I decided to use alternatives to the slave drugs of Finastride and Minoxidil which don't always work but display common side effects that I don't want at a young age. I won't go into any details, so just view my regimen.

I am not sure if my regimen will work, but I am sticking with it for 6 months. Based on the Scottish study, I believe some of these oils will help with alopecia areata but not really sure if they can help with what I have (androgenetic alopecia). Nothing much to report yet as I'm only a month and a half in, but hair loss has been reduced by 80% I would say. I am currently waiting on results from the A&G hair complex drug and hope this will be the end to the horror.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: goten574's Story

Post by HairLossFight.com » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Hello goten574, and welcome to the forums,

Thanks for sharing your story. I always feel a tremendous amount of sympathy for someone in your situation. I started losing my hair when I was a few years younger than you. The good news is that you actually can do something to deal with it, unlike when I first started to lose my hair when the only real option was Minoxidil.

I think you're doing a good thing by being cautious about the big two drugs. Your regimen is full of naturals, which is good. If within the timeframe that you specified (6 months) you don't see that you are at least maintaining your existing hair, then I would suggest that you should consider getting on finasteride 1mg for 3 times a week. This would minimize the chances of side-effects while giving you some internal DHT-blockage Or get on a topical DHT inhibitor.

In this game of fighting hair loss it's all about managing the risks of potential side-effects while getting at least some benefits from treatment.

One other thing I would suggest is low level laser therapy. You've probably heard of the laser messiah that OverMachoGrande is making? You should consider making one.

Check out astro_boy's laser helmet build pics in his profile: http://my.hairlossfight.com/pg/photos/a ... t-progress.

One last suggestion. Setup a profile for yourself, take pictures now to act as a baseline to measure your progress with over time, then periodically (once a month or so) take follow-up pictures. I can't stress how important it is to keep track of your progress over time. Otherwise you really won't know to what extent your treatments are working (or not). You can signup for a profile here if you would like to use this site to track your progress: http://my.hairlossfight.com/account/register.php .

Another person to talk to here that has walked a similar path is James. Jacob is a great resource for naturals and alternatives to the known drugs.

Looking forward to seeing you get things under control.

Sam

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm new to hair loss and I'm a diffused thinner at the front and temples (Androgenic Alopecia). From when my hair loss was first noticed in November 2008, my hair has definitely gotten worse but I didn't really try anything until February 2009. 4 months in now with the oils and I cannot accurately say if it's helping with hair growth. Sometimes I feel my hair looks better and sometimes I feel it looks the same or worse.

Here is my routine:

Every 2 or 3 days, I mix various oils in a bowl, warm them up with steam and apply 20 or so full droppers all over my MPB region and massage in. I do not massage in for long (my hand aches lol) but I can say most of the oil does absorb quickly into the scalp. The oils I use are Coconut, Emu, Rosemary, Jojoba, Alma, Cedarwood, Tea Tree, and sometimes I mix in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. For most of the time I also mixed Aloe Vera Gel in but now I apply the gel to my scalp after I shampoo (it’s non greasy and dries quickly)

Since I use so much oil, my scalp is completely saturated and doesn't dry for at least 40 minutes. I leave the oils in for 3 hours or longer before washing them out with organic Ginseng shampoo and have been doing this religiously since mid February. I am still shedding hair, the hair is of all sizes but I usually see thick, strong, long hair on my top or around me. Sometimes the hair appears very faint in colour but usually it’s a dark brown.

Positives
----------
- Hair use to get greasy after just one day since shampooing, now takes 2-3 days to become greasy.

- Hair all over head is thicker and stronger

- Hair fall reduced by a good percentage

I think the oils really do work wonders for your hair but only healthy hair. I really don’t think they are helping in my male pattern baldness regions but I haven’t given it the full 6 months yet. I will keep you all updated.

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:02 pm

What brand is that shampoo you're using?

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:55 am

Jacob wrote:What brand is that shampoo you're using?
http://www.houseofmistry.com/shop/ginse ... o-p-7.html

Jacob
Prolific Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know

Post by Jacob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks..that's the complete ingreds list? No chems? Does it lather at all?

Edit..I see the first ingred is some kind of soapnut or whatever...so that would explain the lathering..

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Jacob wrote:Thanks..that's the complete ingreds list? No chems? Does it lather at all?

Edit..I see the first ingred is some kind of soapnut or whatever...so that would explain the lathering..
Yes, that's the full ingredients list. It does lather but only a small amount and I actually mix a little of my old shampoo with it so it lathers better :P

goten574
Prolific Poster

Post by goten574 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:49 pm

I've been using the oils for 7 months now, 3 times a week, left on for at least 3 hours each time. I can say I can see no real improvement to my hair other than it not being so greasy. It may be that it slowed or stopped my hair loss but I cannot say for sure as I pretty much started this as soon as I realised I was balding. I do not know what my rate of hair loss is so have no way of measuring if I am losing more/less hair than I would have if I didn't use the oil. I still have some oil left so I will continue to use it but not as often as I use to.

I would recommend this treatment for people who suffer Alopecia Areata based on the Scottish study but could not recommed this to anyone suffering Male Pattern Baldness. I really had high hopes for this but oh well...