Damage from chemical relaxer

Tell us your personal story, how hair loss has affected you, and what you're doing to treat it. Also keep us posted on your progress.

Moderator: moderators

Forum rules
This section is for you to use to chronicle your experiences with hair loss and how you're treating it. Use this section to give us your story and keep everyone posted on your progress.

This section will prove useful in that whenever anyone wants to know how you're doing they can check here, and YOU can check here as time goes by to reflect on your own situation, what you've learned and the progress you've made (or not for that matter).

Post pictures of your hair loss and regrowth, tell us about your regimen. Keep us updated!

If you're starting a new thread, please call it "{Your Forum ID}'s story", replacing {Your Forum ID} with the handle you use to login to these forums.

ryvert

Damage from chemical relaxer

Post by ryvert » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Some years ago I straightened my hair with a chemical relaxer and I completely ruined my hair. Before applying the relaxer I had a full head of hair; when I rinsed my head (probably too late) I realized I had lost 30-40% of my hair and I could see the scalp.

The dermatologists I consulted insisted that I had male pattern baldness, but I knew the relaxer was the real cause of my thinning. When you lose nearly half of your hair in 30 minutes, that is clearly NOT normal male baldness.

The hair I lost never regrew. What is more, the relaxer triggered a progressive thinning. Since that horrible day my hair began shedding, slowly but steadily, and it's getting thinner and thinner over the years. I don't hope to regrow the hair I lost, but I'd be content with keeping the hair I still have.

I tried Minoxidil and finasteride. But didnt get any result. What products could I try to revitalize the follicle damaged by the relaxer? Folligen? Emu oil? I will appreciate any suggestion.

HairLossFight.com
Site Admin
Hair Loss Type: Androgenetic Alopecia (Male Pattern Baldness)
Norwood Level: Norwood III Vertex
Have you had a hair transplant?: Yes

Re: Damage from chemical relaxer

Post by HairLossFight.com » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Ryvert,

I have found the lasercomb to be very useful for me personally. I use the Hairmax lasercomb. Not sure exacly how it works other than that the light energy from the laser seems to trigger healthier hair and scalp, and some regrowth.

It has been F.D.A. approved for the treatment of hair loss.

Also, have you gone to another physician to get a second opinion on your situation?

Regards,
Sam