Testosterone....

Dedicated to discussions and support for women suffering from hair loss.

Moderator: moderators

molecularblonde
Regular Poster
Hair Loss Type: Don't Know
Have you had a hair transplant?: No

Testosterone....

Post by molecularblonde » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:48 am

hello-
I've just received my bloodwork back form the hormone expert (endocrinologist) I saw in NY. Currently my testosterone level is low: "37" were the lab posts a normal range of "63-120" for an ovulating female.

I have not spoken to the doctor regarding this, although I put several calls into his office. I thought his idea of putting me on spironolactone was to lower any testosterone. But isn't my testosteron e super-low? that's what the lab work said.
Anyway, I did a seach on the net and low total testosterone can cause the following:

"Some of the signs and symptoms of testosterone deficiency in a woman may include a loss of sexual desire and sexual fantasies or dreams, and decreased response to sexual stimulation in the nipples and the genital area, particularly the clitoris. There may be decreases in the ability to become aroused and the ability to achieve an orgasm. Additionally, there may be a decrease in the sense of well being and a particularly noticeable loss of muscle tone. On examination one may notice thinning or loss of pubic hair and genital atrophy may be present, which is the thinning of the tissues surrounding the vagina. This may include both scarring and cracking that is not typically responsive to female hormones applied to the area in cream form. This condition can lead to extreme difficulty during penetration as well as severe pain. Finally, dry scalp with a loss of hair over certain parts of the head as in so-called male-pattern baldness can be apparent as well."

I don't know what to do. After having surgery to remove one of my ovaries and half of the other it seems that i've gone into low estrogen and testosterone levels.

Any input from anyone?
Thanks-
MB

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:21 am

What does your doctor say about your testosterone levels? Bloodwork should be evaluated by the doctor.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

Tricia

Post by molecularblonde » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:59 am

Hi-
I put a call in to my endocrinologist who ordered the test. He's supposed to get back to me this week. I also sent all of the blood work over to my OB/GYN. She is the one who removed my ovary and part of the other ovary last year. She knows about my hair loss but doesn't think that hormones are playing any role in this.

This endocrinolgist (and self-proclaimed hormone expert) has me on spironolactone because he thought my levels of free testosterone might be too high. Since my levels are clearly low, I wonder if he'll take me off of it?

Thanks-
MB

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:41 am

I hope you get some answers from the endocrinologist.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron

James

Post by James » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:18 am

Wait, couldn't your testosterone levels be low because of the spiro?

molecularblonde
Regular Poster

good thinking

Post by molecularblonde » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 pm

James-
Good thinking. The bloodwork was done the day prior to starting the spioro.

I emailed this doctor (the "hormone expert") asking him exactly what low "total" testosterone means. And I asked him why i'm on spiro if my testosterone is low to start with. Hopefully he'll email me back.

I don't understand any of this James. I guess I've had it pretty good until now because this is the worst torture I've been through. My hair is falling out in strings and pulls now. I hope the Yasmin and the spiro can stop the shed.

I'd like to post my doctor's reply on the board when I hear from him-
Take care-
MB

Tricia
Prolific Poster

Post by Tricia » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:41 am

Were you on Yasmin when the bloodwork was taken? That can also effect the results.

I had a very difficult time taking Yasmin. I tried it prior to the hair loss hell. This is not hair-related, but I wish they had a hormonal form of birth control for MEN. Ha, and see how they like it :twisted:

Back to hair, propecia would slightly raise your free testosterone. I'm not really sure what that means, but that's what I read and that's why male athletes aren't supposed to use it.
5% minoxidil
Multivitamin with iron